Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times

Advertisements

What are some of the things you see at your gym that could be considered strange or goofy by at least a significant number of people. Let's have a laugh here folks. I will throw in the first weird one I have seen an old man build a tower with aerobics steps just to train his forearms, I have some more but I want participation so bring it on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
Working out in jeans... I'll never understand that. They must enjoy the chaffing.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:34 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
I already posted on this topic. Granted, it's not strange things SEEN but HEARD.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...t-lifting.html

Old 07-19-2012, 05:37 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Women in full makeup and hairdos

Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Me--running barefoot on the treadmill. People think I'm weird, but I have reached the point where I no longer worry about plantar fascitis, even though my job entails being on my feet for long periods on concrete floors.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I expect loud noises from the heavy lifters at the gym.
And I expect to see barbies in their full make-up hogging up machines doing diddly-sh*t.

Those aren't strange.

Strange was the Italian (I found out later) couple who would show up (both the hugely muscled Fabio-looking man and the insanely fit fake tan wife) in these neon tights with leopard/zebra/tiger print tops and (??!!) onesies/leotards to work out.

Later on, I found out they were Italian and they designed the outfits. It was always a freakshow fanshion show with those two...and their giant, giant crimped hair.

But respect. They were very nice and they were VERY fit.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:16 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,819,357 times
There used to be a guy who ran on the treadmill and every 10 seconds or so he would make this huge sighing sound. More than a sigh but less than a yell. it was annoying. The first time I heard him I talked about it at the front desk. Apparently they had asked him to stop from all the complaints but that he still did it. I work out at a different time now so I have no idea if he is still there.
Also the people ( rarely) who come in in street clothes and workout. That is just weird.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
The other day I saw a guy on the treadmill. Using his macbook. It looked like he was doing accounting or invoicing or similar so he had to type. I call that weird. And not a good workout.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
There was an older guy at my gym who looked to be about 80 years old. He was very short and wore baggy gym trunks with no underwear. When he'd pedal on the stationary bicycle, he seemed cheerfully oblivious that the goods were hanging out there for the world to see. Or maybe he was showing off, who knows? I have no idea what his real name was, but I called him "Peter Penis."

Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,172 times
Oh, where to start! I sometimes workout at my university gym and there are some weird and downright strange things I've seen (in no particular order).

1.) A guy in street clothes benching. Stops and racks the bar only to pick up his cell phone and carry-on a 30 minute conversation with his girlfriend calling her all sorts of things such as "Sweetie poo", "Sexy African princess", and "Ghetto mama" (I kid you not).

2.) Scrawny guy who walks around, sits down on a bench, and copies whatever exercise others are doing around him, and then standing up in front of the mirrors flexing as if he's in some body show competition.

3.) Woman walks in and starts doing various exercises with 50-lbs dumbbells upon which several guys seeing that they are lifting 20s, 25s, and 30s drop their weights and walk towards the other end of the gym.

4.) Some guy stretching before his workout by doing various pelvic thrusts and making loud grunts (sort of like Tarzan's yell combined with Maria Sharapova's grunts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness