Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:22 AM

838 posts, read 565,934 times

Advertisements

Am i the only one that feels this way? I'm currently unemployed going back to school in a few weeks and over the winter i really must've built-up an appetite because when i weighed myself a few days ago i couldn't believe i had gone up in the 300lbs. So many friends & family had recommended me to get on an diet which is what i've been attempting to do these past couple of days however i can't help but notice how much more the food budget is now that i'm on an diet than previously.

Let me explain, Normally what i do is immediately go for the cheapest items since i'm on an budget plus being unemployed and all. However those "cheap" foods are usually very high in calories/fat, I was hoping if anyone would be willing to offer an bit of advice as to how to get the most bang for the buck and what foods i can buy that will fill me up and not keep me hungry after eating them.

Because to be completely honest (1) Tomato for $1.50+ vs (1) Double Cheeseburger for $.99, the burger is looking rather appetizing right-now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
'Papa Joe' Aviance Loses 250 Pounds on 99 Cent Store Diet

This guy lost 250 pounds, eating food from 99 cent store...he can do it. So can you.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
Eating healthy IS expensive. Fresh veggies and fruits and meats all add up. I can even use mcdonalds as an example.
You can get a bunch of crap off the 99 cent menu but if you want a salad be prepared to shell out almost 5 dollars. Now im not saying I would ever eat a salad from Mcdonalds. Just pointing out the price difference.

However its much better than the alternative which is thousands of dollars in hospital bills or premature death.

Last edited by skel1977; 06-14-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Am i the only one that feels this way? I'm currently unemployed going back to school in a few weeks and over the winter i really must've built-up an appetite because when i weighed myself a few days ago i couldn't believe i had gone up in the 300lbs. So many friends & family had recommended me to get on an diet which is what i've been attempting to do these past couple of days however i can't help but notice how much more the food budget is now that i'm on an diet than previously.

Let me explain, Normally what i do is immediately go for the cheapest items since i'm on an budget plus being unemployed and all. However those "cheap" foods are usually very high in calories/fat, I was hoping if anyone would be willing to offer an bit of advice as to how to get the most bang for the buck and what foods i can buy that will fill me up and not keep me hungry after eating them.

Because to be completely honest (1) Tomato for $1.50+ vs (1) Double Cheeseburger for $.99, the burger is looking rather appetizing right-now.
You can get chicken breasts for CHEAP. They are also probably the best food you can have while on a diet. Truthfully, you could base your whole diet around chicken and brown rice, with some occasional fruits and veggies.

Chicken = cheap
brown rice = cheap

Regardless, if you are 300 lbs you are going to be hungry. It's part of losing weight. Once you get to your goal weight it will be more manageable.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
I do a pretty good job of eating well without breaking the bank by eating frozen foods. Usually have a variation of chicken, brown rice and frozen veggies every night. The best way to do it is cook a week's worth of food ahead of time and divide it into portions. So when it is time for dinner, it takes 10 minutes or so to cook up a healthy meal.

If you go to the frozen food section try the stir fry mixes. Gives you a variety of veggies for under $2 a bag most times.

Also, eggs, tuna fish and plain oatmeal won't break the bank either.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Don't pay for cable or Internet. Walking is free, and when you have no cable TV or Internet at home, you may as well, go for a walk. I cut my cord at home, and watch tv at the gym, my gym also has Wifi.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,801 times
Well. Fasting is almost free as long as you get your water and vitamin in and apparently if you're big enough you can live a year off your fat storage.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,559,216 times
What state do you live in?

Bountiful Baskets

I have saved a LOT of money on fruits & vegetables with this co-op, but it's only available in certain states. There's no membership fee and no obligation to participate.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Exercise (just go for a walk every evening). Reduce portion size. I do agree that it is much more expensive to eat healthy than to buy crap. I know some food banks give out fruit/veggie baskets, so if you are low income that might be a source of some free fruits and vegetables. When I have wanted to lose weight I eat a lot of 98% fat free lunch meat and baked chicken breasts. Carrots and corn are pretty cheap as well. Potatos are also pretty cheap. A baked potato with a little margarine and some salt and pepper (not a bunch of butter and a pile of sour cream) is a much healthier choice than an order of fries. Hot oatmeal is a filling breakfast.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You can get chicken breasts for CHEAP. They are also probably the best food you can have while on a diet. Truthfully, you could base your whole diet around chicken and brown rice, with some occasional fruits and veggies.

Chicken = cheap
brown rice = cheap

Regardless, if you are 300 lbs you are going to be hungry. It's part of losing weight. Once you get to your goal weight it will be more manageable.
This and add beans to it. Rice and beans. You'll need to exercise because dieting alone will not do it. You can buy a cheap rice cooker, made by Rival and cook a larger batch of rice to have ready to rewarm. You can buy spices and frozen vegetables to add to your rewarmed rice. I get marked down salads, peppers, etc. that are being "moved" because they have been there and the truck has come in with fresh things.

Salt and sugar are addictive so that is what really makes those burgers seem attractive along with the grease, soda, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness