Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 11:32 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times

Advertisements

Honestly I don't what all the fuss is about with this woman.
She's not your 'average' mom. She's made fitness her career, she's been a fitness model and into fitness all her life. That alone maintains that as long as she had fairly normal pregnancies, didn't gain too much weight, and had more or less kept a workout regime afterwards, that her body would bounce back into shape pretty easily. The more muscle tone you have prior to pregnancy, the easier it is to snap back. She's by far not the only athletic mom out there - athletes, fitness coaches, dancers, models, and just fit women, all have kids and for the most part, go back to their pre-baby shape easily. In fact I have yet to meet a woman who was heavily into working out and in great shape before having kids and would become and stay overweight after just due to giving birth. It doesn't often happen, especially if the woman's career is in fitness.

The thing is that the majority of women don't look like that before having kids, and have never looked like that, because it's not as high of a priority for them. You see more women visibly overweight and/or out of shape after having kids simply because they weren't in shape to begin with but due to being younger and not having the physical demands of pregnancy it may have been easier to stay slim and firm with not much effort. Lots of young girls stay in shape by, for example, playing sports for fun rather than specifically working out, and then stop by the time they get pregnant. Some have a fast metabolism and never had to make an effort to stay thin, and then that changes with pregnancy and they don't know how to handle it. Even being a bit on the chubby side is easier to pull off when you're young and cute and everything is still firm and bouncy, lol, it can still look good. But then you add the pregnancy tummy, the loose skin, the stretchmarks, the saggy boobs, and suddenly it ain't so cute anymore. That's where you get the phenomenon of 'she let herself go after kids', when in reality you're probably talking about women that didn't make that much effort to begin with, just that they didn't need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Yes.

Much easier to get in shape post-preggo if you were in shape before.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,631 times
The fuss isn't really about the woman, it's about the message.

Agree. It is easier to get in shape if you were already in good shape to begin with, as well as having good genetics. Sometimes hormones can slow down the process. Many new mom's have thyroid issues postpartum that slow down their metabolism. Some develop gestational diabetes that sticks around post-delivery.

This all boils down to healthy living being a lifestyle. Making sure we learn about proper nutrition as kids, making sure we stay active and maintaining the best work/life/school balance we can given our current status in life.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:59 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Honestly I don't what all the fuss is about with this woman.
She's not your 'average' mom. She's made fitness her career, she's been a fitness model and into fitness all her life. That alone maintains that as long as she had fairly normal pregnancies, didn't gain too much weight, and had more or less kept a workout regime afterwards, that her body would bounce back into shape pretty easily. The more muscle tone you have prior to pregnancy, the easier it is to snap back. She's by far not the only athletic mom out there - athletes, fitness coaches, dancers, models, and just fit women, all have kids and for the most part, go back to their pre-baby shape easily. In fact I have yet to meet a woman who was heavily into working out and in great shape before having kids and would become and stay overweight after just due to giving birth. It doesn't often happen, especially if the woman's career is in fitness.

The thing is that the majority of women don't look like that before having kids, and have never looked like that, because it's not as high of a priority for them. You see more women visibly overweight and/or out of shape after having kids simply because they weren't in shape to begin with but due to being younger and not having the physical demands of pregnancy it may have been easier to stay slim and firm with not much effort. Lots of young girls stay in shape by, for example, playing sports for fun rather than specifically working out, and then stop by the time they get pregnant. Some have a fast metabolism and never had to make an effort to stay thin, and then that changes with pregnancy and they don't know how to handle it. Even being a bit on the chubby side is easier to pull off when you're young and cute and everything is still firm and bouncy, lol, it can still look good. But then you add the pregnancy tummy, the loose skin, the stretchmarks, the saggy boobs, and suddenly it ain't so cute anymore. That's where you get the phenomenon of 'she let herself go after kids', when in reality you're probably talking about women that didn't make that much effort to begin with, just that they didn't need to.
I don't see this as strictly a focus about being overweight, just what is attainable, looks wise, for any given woman. You could be a marathon runner and still not look like Maria Kang. I don't consider myself an exceptionally fit person but I'd bet I could outswim Maria Kang. I didn't look like Maria Kang, not even close in the days that I swam 4 hours a day. I'd guess that would be more where I have the issue...looking exactly like she does is not attainable.

I don't disagree that a fit woman will have an easier time of it getting back into shape that one who isn't as fit.

I am confused about one thing you said though....the loose skin, stretchmarks, etc., can still be there no matter what your fitness.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed. No one would ever look at me and say, "Fitness model!"

But I guess I have enough self-respect and I admire myself enough to not take what this woman is saying like some kind of insult or affront.

She's right. She has a crap ton of things to do, she has kids out the wazoo, she doesn't hire outside help, and she has maintained a healthy lifestyle despite all the excuses most people trot out (usually based on "not having time").

Why can't we just feel proud on her behalf. You go, girl! I will step up my game because women like this are inspirational. I'm always trying to step up my game. You can't live your life making up excuses...and I venture I have way more than the average bear that I could use (work, constantly rotating sleep schedule, thyroid, kid, genetics, etc).
This woman goes to fitness competitions and does fitness modeling. She obviously has an intense workout schedule. She's getting some sort of support from somewhere, even if it is in the form of a partner who is willing to help out with the kids while she pursues other ventures. I don't believe for a minute that she does all of this without some form of extra support, more than what some other working parents may have.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Reading some of the responses about this hot fit mom on this and other boards makes me realize how people appreciate being overweight and obese. No more personal responsibility, blame it on the media and all the fit and thin people. It's easier to defend being overweight on the keyboard as opposed to actually being active and eating healthier.

Pretty much the case on these forums. It's also easy to say a fit person is genetically superior, as if a person with slower metabolism and an endomorphic build is doomed and incapable of improving.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Pretty much the case on these forums. It's also easy to say a fit person is genetically superior, as if a person with slower metabolism and an endomorphic build is doomed and incapable of improving.
No, it not impossible, but it's more difficult to get back into shape and if you are a new mom taking care of baby, it's that much harder. It's all about what is important to you.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:43 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
She's succeeded in pissing off a bunch of overly sensitive women
What's your Excuse?
If your happy with yourself this ad should not bother you!

Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What's your Excuse?
Honestly, I really don't care about the photo. But as a woman and mother in the age of digital media, I think it's important to voice your opinion on these issue. Too many females out there with self image issues, whether they are overweight or not. We need to educate more, send more positive messages.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:42 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What's your Excuse?
I 100% agree.
You hardly ever see guys being critical of chiseled men in Men's Fitness magazines. They inspire more than deflate a male's ego.
Why can't women look for inspiration instead of tearing someone down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness