Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 PM

751 posts, read 1,182,304 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

I have been running for 3 months now and I am absolutely addicted to it. If I go a few days without running, I start to feel really bad. Right now, I have been averaging 700 calories(30 mins non-stop run) every other day. I run at about 1200 calories/hr (6 mph and decent inclination). My question is: I would love to do it everyday but I started to experience pain in my knee area. From what I understood, I am experiencing shin splints. Is running everyday not recommended? I took a week off and my knees went back to normal but if I do 2-3 days in a row, the pain returns. Any thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,003,453 times
You want to be sure to purchase some really nice running shoes. Believe me, the quality of your shoes will help eliminate some of the pain youre feeling. A good pair of running shoes will cost you about $125.00.

You should also try to run off concrete/pavement if you can. Find a dirt or grassy trail to run on this will help reduce the shock your joints will feel when running.

Another great investment that I made was purchasing some CW/X Stabilix Running tights here - http://cw-x.com/ss (broken link) These are great because they provide muscle support to also help prevent injuries.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,534,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi all:

I have been running for 3 months now and I am absolutely addicted to it. If I go a few days without running, I start to feel really bad. Right now, I have been averaging 700 calories(30 mins non-stop run) every other day. I run at about 1200 calories/hr (6 mph and decent inclination). My question is: I would love to do it everyday but I started to experience pain in my knee area. From what I understood, I am experiencing shin splints. Is running everyday not recommended? I took a week off and my knees went back to normal but if I do 2-3 days in a row, the pain returns. Any thoughts???
Welcome, to the wonderful exercise of running/jogging. And yes, it is addicting (I've been running/jogging since I was 12-13 years old, about 21 years now!! and haven't stopped yet).

When you're older, it's good to just run/jog every other day (about 3-4 times a week). And on the days you don't, do some walking, Pilates/Yoga, and light weight training. Alternate your days and your knee will get a lot better.

So, just run every other day and combine it with some walking, on the days you don't run/jog...Good luck and happy running!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:19 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,341,182 times
Yes-if you have not already- find a real running store with experts. Do not go to sports authority, etc. a local running sotre with real runners would be best. Bring the sneakers you run in now so they can examine "how you run". It is very important to be fitted properly and not skimp when it comes to buying running sneakers. The wrong sneakers could be causing your pain. Also make sure you stretch properly and alternate the surfaces your run on.

Can you alternate days on the elliptical so you still get s good workout but not the banging on your knees?

Welcome to the addicting world of running.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,225,681 times
Remember to change your shoes often enough - running shoes wear out after about 500 miles, and after that you will really start to see some problems.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM

751 posts, read 1,182,304 times
Actually, I just bought a new pair of the Adidas A3's, the ones with the microbounce system and for the first 2 weeks, these shoes were HELL, possibly because they were new, these shoes gave me all kinds of blisters not to mention extreme pain all over my ankle and legs. I am wondering if the pain I was feeling might be related to the shoes. For the last week or so, it seems like they finally broke in and this week so far, NO pain. This week, I ran yesterday and today and so far so good.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,422,270 times
Quote:
Hi all:

Rest is critical for the rebuilding and recovery process and if your knees hurt, you better pay attention to that to avoid permanent damage. Run every other day and see what effect this has.

You could also try cross-training. Run every other day, ride a bike the days you don't run. Remember to rest for recovery though.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,266,819 times
I was in a similar situation and experienced what I thought to be shin splints, too. When you run, you can injur yourself so if you experience pain, I'd say take a break. My rule of thumb was if I was in pain while I ran, I'd have to take a break. Works for me! I kind of fell off the band wagon for the past 2 months so I'm looking forward to gettin' back on. I totally know what you mean about not feeling good if you don't run. It feels great!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,341,182 times
Quote:
Actually, I just bought a new pair of the Adidas A3's, the ones with the microbounce system and for the first 2 weeks, these shoes were HELL, possibly because they were new, these shoes gave me all kinds of blisters not to mention extreme pain all over my ankle and legs. I am wondering if the pain I was feeling might be related to the shoes. For the last week or so, it seems like they finally broke in and this week so far, NO pain. This week, I ran yesterday and today and so far so good.
Just curious why you chose those? Was there a reason that you chose those to fit with your running style? If you have not it is important to have a professional help you choose shoes for the way you run. If you go to a real running store-they can look at the wear on your shoes and tell "how you run". Do you over pronate, etc. In my opinion, this is extremely important. Too many people get shoes because they "hear or read good things about them" when in fact it is not the right shoe for them. Also do you have the right size?

Maybe you have done all this- I just think this is really important. I have been running and racing since I was in elementary school and have learned the importance of the "right" shoe.

Shoes should not hurt for two weeks-NEVER. I know shoes cost a lot but in my opinion you should get a professional fitting.

Nicole

Old 12-12-2007, 04:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,003,453 times
Rep points for Nicolem on her last post as she's absolutely right. Shoes should never hurt and give you blisters especially brand new ones. Find a professional running store in your area to have some shoes professional fitted. Also, look into purchasing some CW/X tights as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness