Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 PM

175 posts, read 147,469 times

Advertisements

I will be attempting to run a 10K taking place 54 days from today. I currently run 2 to 3 miles a time about 2-3 times a week. I was looking for any tips and advice in order to prepare myself to run the 10K. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAREY33 View Post
I currently run 2 to 3 miles a time about 2-3 times a week... tips and advice...
Keep running those 6-9 miles a week and start upping the distance one day per week until you can do at least 4-5 confidently. Also if you take one running session (say 3 miles) per week and break it up into 'quarters' or another sort of tempo run (fast, slow, faster, slow…) you can really increase your speed that way. 10k is a great distance to start at. It can really be enjoyable and the risk of injury is relatively low if your form is decent.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,981 times
There are smartphone apps, some free, which will include training programs for 5k/10k. The more sophisticated apps are tailored based on your fitness level or goal preference (e.g., 10K under 60 minutes).

Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
Don't try to come up with your own program. Go find an expert's program that has been tested. Those "couch to ...." programs are pretty popular for people with little running experience. Personally I have had luck with the 3 days a week training programs done by FIRST. You run three days a week and cross train two days a week.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:51 AM

284 posts, read 492,434 times
It is a common rule of thumb that it is safe for beginners to increase mileage by 10% per week- safe meaning you should avoid injury by sticking to this limit. A longer run on one day of the week will be very helpful, and adding a fourth day would also be useful.
There are plenty of training plans available on the internet, the various running stores also usually have training groups at different levels of experience.
The idea suggested by Otterprods of doing some faster miles is great for getting used to holding a faster pace.
If it is hot in your area you may want to drink water during the race and it would be good to try this on your training runs.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
There are smartphone apps, some free, which will include training programs for 5k/10k. The more sophisticated apps are tailored based on your fitness level or goal preference (e.g., 10K under 60 minutes).
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Don't try to come up with your own program. Go find an expert's program that has been tested.
Or just go running. It's a 10k fun run for cryin' out loud. People totally over-complicate things. You already have a great base, just add a bit more distance on one day and maybe some speed on another and you'll probably be quite pleased on race day. Even if it doesn't go that well, consider it a learning experience and try again.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Or just go running. It's a 10k fun run for cryin' out loud. People totally over-complicate things. You already have a great base, just add a bit more distance on one day and maybe some speed on another and you'll probably be quite pleased on race day. Even if it doesn't go that well, consider it a learning experience and try again.

I was going to say pretty much this. Unless you are trying to beat some personal best, if you do three miles a week three times a week now, you could go out and run a 10k tomorrow. Since you have time, maybe go out and run 4.5 this weekend at a slower pace than your normal run, then in a couple weeks do the full 6.2 and keep at it. If you go out too fast and have to walk for a minute and start back, who cares. Just make sure you are aware of people behind you when you do.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAREY33 View Post
I will be attempting to run a 10K taking place 54 days from today. I currently run 2 to 3 miles a time about 2-3 times a week. I was looking for any tips and advice in order to prepare myself to run the 10K. Thanks.
As another poster said, the usual rule of thumb is not to increase mileage by more than 10% per week; however that is for total weekly miles, not necessarily the distance of your longest run.

If you're running 3 miles now, you can increase distance at 10% per week and be at 6.4 miles after 8 weeks, or 56 days. If it were me, I'd run one 'long run' per week and try to get over 6 miles by week 4 or 5. I don't think you're going to be courting injury by doing that. In fact if possible I'd try to get my weekly 'long run' up to 7 or 8 miles by day 51.

I definitely recommend running intervals (sometimes called repeats) once per week. This is running a certain distance, say 800 meters, at a fast pace, followed by a 'recovery jog' at a very slow pace for say 400 meters, and doing that over and over up to 10 times or so. (You'll have to work your way up gradually before you can handle 10 repeats in a session. This will work wonders for your speed. This allows you to run a fair amount of distance at a fast pace without burning yourself to a crisp.

Most runners also do a 'tempo run' once per week, which is more or less 30-60 minute run at a challenging pace. If you do one long run, one interval session, and one tempo run each week you will see steady progress.

Most competitive runners actually run 6-7 days per week. Other than the long run, tempo, and interval, the other days are 'easy days,' i.e. running a few miles at a very slow pace.

The above is basically the Frank Shorter method. He was a great marathoner. When asked why he had never published a training book, he said that his "book" would only be about a half page long.

Oh yeah, a few days before your race, you want to take it easy. Don't stop running completely, but do some non-challenging runs. Then your legs will be fresh for race day.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
Quote:
Go find an expert's program that has been tested.
This is just a 6.2 mile event, there is no need to consult an "expert!"

I wouldn't worry about your time at all for your first race. Time is irrelevant, just run to have fun and get experience with a race environment and atmosphere.

I would definitely run at least two runs of 10 miles, just to have a base of a few longer runs. Most 10K's are run on a Sunday. Don't run for the Friday or Saturday prior to the race.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 AM

175 posts, read 147,469 times
Thanks for all the info. I know a lot of people wouldn't consider this a long race but its been a long time since I have run anything longer than 3 miles.

I was mostly looking for info on how often and how long during the week I should run and how often and when I should rest during the week.

Also I know by simply running more I will build up my endurance but I was curious if there were any other recommended methods to build it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness