Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times

Advertisements

Because not working out is easier. Working out is just that, work. It's natural to prefer to take the easy way out. I think if more people got into the habit they would actually come to enjoy exercising and working out. I do. I think part of the reason many people lose motivation when working out is because of how long it takes to start visibly noticing results. After a week or two a lot of people will stop going to the gym because they feel like they aren't getting anywhere. They have to remember that going from unfit to fit is a marathon and not a sprint, also that being healthy is a lifestyle and not a one time thing.

As for not eating healthy, unhealthy foods usually taste better. Some people don't have the willpower to limit their intake of unhealthy food and eat them in moderation. Sodas, sugar, excessive sodium, etc. People love the taste of them. Just cutting out sodas and other sugary drinks alone would do wonders for most people.

Another thing is your friends. If the people who you associate with indulge in unhealthy habits and eating and you want to make a change, it's best to limit your interaction with them. At least temporarily until develop the willpower to resist taking part in their unhealthy activities when around them. Unhealthy habits rub off. As do healthy ones.

After growing up in a generally unhealthy eating environment, I got in excellent shape and eat pretty healthy as an adult. I wouldn't go as far as to "not ever eat for taste or enjoyment" though like I saw someone suggest in an earlier post. I would only do that in a cutting phase during my training routines. It would be depressing to do that on a permanent basis. Good food is one of the great joys in life, you just have to enjoy it in moderation. I usually go out at least twice a week to have a nice meal with some friends. Usually on weekends. I've still been able to maintain a good body fat percentage and abs. I also workout 5-6 times per week though as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
When I was younger I had a very high metabolism and could eat anything I wanted. I couldn't gain weight to save my life, I was too skinny.

Now that has sadly changed. I never learned how to eat healthy and now struggle to find foods I like and get rid,of my cravings. I exercise 6-7 days a week, no issue there. It would be great if it was easy as working out.....

Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's the crux of it. Bad habits are difficult to break, and the holier-than-thou people who say to just stop doing bad things because it's so easy have probably never struggled with these concepts. Sometimes it takes a lot of discipline and a lot of will power to make positive changes, and that can be frustrating and disheartening. It doesn't mean that it can't be done, but it also doesn't mean that people who have a hard time don't deserve some compassion and patience.
And sometimes "positive" changes have little impact on your weight. There are people out there who lose 20 pounds by not drinking soda. And then they stop using mayo and lose 10 more, etc. Etc.

I stopped drinking soda when I was like 14. I have about 2 a month, maybe. Typically a homemade one from a restaurant that uses seasonal fruits to make syrup (yum!). Guess what...my weight stayed the same.

Not too long after college I stopped drinking juice. Not that I had it all that often anyway. But basically this meant I mostly drink water and tea. And most cups of tea were unsweetened. Guess what? My weight stayed the same. I also switched over to olive oil and whole grains most of the time.

I switched over to mostly local/organic foods about a decade ago. And cut out tons of processed stuff. I have them occasionally, but I am pretty picky. I'm still overweight!

Around 6 years ago I found out I was hypothyroid. I probably have been for a while, as I had low levels on many blood tests, but I didn't know about what to look for, and my doctors at the time didn't push for diagnosis. I've had many of the symptoms for well over a decade.

I mostly drink water, unsweetened tea and a 3-5 coffees with milk a week (most of the with no sweeteners, when I do use sugar it is 1-2 packets. I rarely have more than a cup a day). I average about 4 alcoholic drinks a month. I eat plain yogurt most of the time. I buy the unsweetened almond milk. I make my own salad dressings and sauces most of the time. My favorite condiments are vinegar and hot sauce. I eat healthy stuff 80% of the time or more! Lots of produce, whole grains, seafood, etc.

For me, working out is hit or miss depending on what sort of job and commute I have. But I am pretty active anyway. I try to ditch my car and walk places. I've had jobs where I clocked in 3-4 miles daily between commuting and lunch time. These days I bike to most of my in-town errands. Guess what, my weight still stays the same. I don't eat a ton, I have a slower metabolism, and weight loss is hard and weight gain is really easy. All it takes for me is my hormones being out of whack and I gain 10 pounds in a month.* And it takes 3 to 4 to lose those 10 pounds.

We have a perception, that if you don't look a certain way, then you aren't doing the right things. (And if you do look a certain way you are.) Reality is a lot more complicated.

*Yup this has happened to me a few times, my thyroid levels are rarely in proper sync for more than 6 months. At least that has been my pattern over the last 6 years.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
OP. I am also 30, male and look like I'm still in my mid 20's. At the age of 12, I cut all red meat and pork out of my diet. Around the age of 24, I switched exclusively to organic milk and gradually phased in organic foods over the years. I just looked at my kitchen today and realized that 98% of my food is either all natural, organic, low/medium fat content, multigrain, gluten free, cage free, etc. I don't go to the gym often. Maybe only 4-6 weeks per YEAR. And people STILL think I work out regularly. However, I would like to get back into the gym soon because I am only getting older and would like to look and feel as good as I possibly can.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
I work 60 hours a week and go to the gym 3 days a week.

I often have co-workers ask how I can eat so healthy without cheating. They aee me eat a lot of egg whites, nuts, whole grains etc. and ask how I can stand to eat like that every single day.

1) I actually love this food

2) Because I choose to be healthy and feel good. Im in my eatly 30s and often get told I look like im 25.

Im not a HUGE guy but I am in good shape. If you dont/cant workout, at least eat healthy. it makes a eorld of a difference.

When I was in HS I ate like crap. Fast food several times a week. Luckily, I was never overweight.

It took me awhile to get this way, but I almost never eat amything unhealthy. I won't eat cakes and cookies. I don't even have interest in them.

Over the years, I have narrowed it down To 4 enemies of your diet:

1) Sugar
2) Saturated Fats
3) ALL fried foods
4) SODA
Even though I used to be one of those person who didn't care what I ate and didn't exercise, but when I turned 43 and was 50 pounds over weight, my body went totally out of whack. I became a diabetic, had high blood pressure, and my kidneys were not functioning well. You know what I did, I changed my diet, worked out, and totaly reversed my diabetes and lost about 40 pounds. I keep the weight off by exercising 6 days a week, and eat sweets in moderation. I don't drink soda, and I rarely eat fast food unless it's a fast food place that cooks its food fresh. I am 47 and I don't look my age as well. My profile pic was recently taken.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,410,655 times
Working out is not difficult.. but eating well is.

I severely crave junk food constantly.. it's hard to stay clean!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,250,641 times
Tbh, because I'm lazy and I love unhealthy foods. I'm not ready to be all that healthy at this point of my life. I'm not fat [I'm 5' 10 134lbs] just not fit///I'm not going to be running any marathons that's for sure. I do walk often to check the mail box but that's about it.

The bomb red burrito's and Toms hot fries from the local corner store is my healthy food I know I'm taking my health for granted but crap, I'm just addicted to junk food.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM

112 posts, read 130,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post

Over the years, I have narrowed it down To 4 enemies of your diet:

1) Sugar
2) Saturated Fats
3) ALL fried foods
4) SODA
Nope. I get really sick when I don't eat a high-fat diet. I'm consistently underweight my whole life and don't eat that well in general though. Apparently I'm just weird

Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM

112 posts, read 130,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Working out is not difficult.. but eating well is.
That's weird because I was going to answer the OP by saying that people are lazy and it's easy to choose low-this or low-that tasteless unhealthy crap at the store whereas getting your fatass to jump up and down for a few jumping jacks is nearly impossible for most. I feel the opposite for myself. But that's what I noticed with the overweight people in my life. Maybe my experience is unusual.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
I eat only organic myself, no processed or fast food, no soft drinks in 23 years .. We raise, grow our own veggies, fruit or we only by from our local certified organic farmers/ranchers..So I bake , cook and do a lot canning, plus I enjoy it! Yes I love to eat, I more like graze myself throughout the day...I workout 5 to 6 days a week, I run and workout with light weights for upper body and do squats and tummy workout.. I'll be 51, mother of four, I still have all my parts, I don't take any medications.. I feel healthy & active...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness