Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 12:48 PM

613 posts, read 463,914 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it??? I go to the gym 4-5x a week, and jog at least 2 miles 3x every week, and while those things have been helping me a lot, I still have a small amount of stomach fat that won't go away no matter what I do. Anyway, the suppliments thread reminded me of some fish oil supplements I see at the market all the time, and after doing a bit of research, I learned that fish oil supplements are incredibly helpful, but I just wanted to know first-hand if they help with weight/fat loss at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Is that better than the "Nature's Bounty" margarine that Kate & Leoplod tried to foist on the public?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Is it worth it??? I go to the gym 4-5x a week, and jog at least 2 miles 3x every week, and while those things have been helping me a lot, I still have a small amount of stomach fat that won't go away no matter what I do. Anyway, the suppliments thread reminded me of some fish oil supplements I see at the market all the time, and after doing a bit of research, I learned that fish oil supplements are incredibly helpful, but I just wanted to know first-hand if they help with weight/fat loss at all.
They are not going to help with weight loss. But fish oil is very beneficial in other ways. Why not just eat more fish?

Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
No, fish oil will not help anyone lose weight. Nor will eating more fish give you more fish oil. Fish oil is concentrated from the livers of select deep water fish. Eating fish is a great thing to do, of course, but most of us don't eat their livers. Honestly, this is the age of Google, and About dot com and other information sources (Wikipedia?) in the 21st Century, for the first time in human history there are actually, stupid questions.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:08 PM

Ouch!

I asked because I did google. I was just curious what other people had to say about it, how it was working for them, etc. I said in my OP that I researched. Missed that part???? =P

Old 03-31-2015, 02:21 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Trader Joe's is rated highly and fairly inexpensive. We buy the distilled versions.

Long term it should lower risk of heart issues later in life. It's something people take over the course of their lives. Eating fish is also a better way but if you're like me it's easier to just take the vitamin. I take 3x of the Trader Joes once a day with a meal.

Just exercising won't guarantee you not have any heart or blood clotting issues later in life. Fish oil helps with that over the long term, but has to be consumed over a lifetime to see long term benefits.

If you want to get rid of fat you have to eat less than you consume by exercising. It's that simple. My mother in law thinks it's some sort of special diet, nope, just physics...

Old 03-31-2015, 02:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Is it worth it??? I go to the gym 4-5x a week, and jog at least 2 miles 3x every week, and while those things have been helping me a lot, I still have a small amount of stomach fat that won't go away no matter what I do. Anyway, the supplements thread reminded me of some fish oil supplements I see at the market all the time, and after doing a bit of research, I learned that fish oil supplements are incredibly helpful, but I just wanted to know first-hand if they help with weight/fat loss at all.
Your body is used to your routine, and all that you do to work out, so it has no reason to attack those stubborn fat reserves. Change your routine. For instance, go on a 14-day juice fast, then once you resume your exercise program, incorporate wind sprints into your routine, running as fast as your possibly can for 40-50 yards, up to 10 times, 3 times per week. Stomach fat, or fat in the midsection, gone.

Also, what kind of routine do you do at the gym, and why go so often? It doesn't sound like the exercises you do do are intense enough to require REST in between, so your body can repair itself and recover between workout sessions. This is another indication that your body is used to your routine because all that you do, doesn't make it work hard enough.

Fish Oil is absolutely no help in this regard, IMO. A good, healthy diet is sufficient.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM

Oh, wow. Guess I'll save my money, then. haha

I'll try the sprinting thing. On Mon/Weds, I do chest, shoulder, and legs, with some compound exercises that are supposed to work back muscles. On Tues/Thurs I do arms & back. On Fridays, I do bench pressing, with some leg stuff thrown in.

I used to use ab machines, but stopped. Now I'm wondering if I should start again.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
They are not going to help with weight loss. But fish oil is very beneficial in other ways. Why not just eat more fish?
I did not mean to say eating fish is the same as taking a supplement. I should have been more clear. Why not eat more fish and have a healthy diet? IMO is not really needed if your diet is in order.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Your body is used to your routine, and all that you do to work out, so it has no reason to attack those stubborn fat reserves. Change your routine. For instance, go on a 14-day juice fast, then once you resume your exercise program, incorporate wind sprints into your routine, running as fast as your possibly can for 40-50 yards, up to 10 times, 3 times per week. Stomach fat, or fat in the midsection, gone.

Also, what kind of routine do you do at the gym, and why go so often? It doesn't sound like the exercises you do do are intense enough to require REST in between, so your body can repair itself and recover between workout sessions. This is another indication that your body is used to your routine because all that you do, doesn't make it work hard enough.

Fish Oil is absolutely no help in this regard, IMO. A good, healthy diet is sufficient.
14 day juice fast? Why? And no amount of any kind of exercise is going to spot reduce. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness