Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM

390 posts, read 824,729 times

Advertisements

The biggest hurdle to getting lean and staying lean in modern society is that most of us live a sedentary lifestyle. Even for the few of us that manage to exercise for 30 minutes a day or so, it still doesn't make up for the fact that we are sitting all day at our jobs. And for those of us working full time, let's be honest - we just don't have time to exercise very much! The treadmill desk is perhaps the solution to this problem, and it's becoming very popular very quickly, despite how silly they seem (I thought they were a joke at first).
http://www.workwhilewalking.com/health-benefits

I have a standing desk, and it has helped with me weight loss tremendously. Taking into account my caloric intake and rate of weight loss, working at a standing desk is burning about an additional 400 calories per day over the conventional sitting desk. Plus, I am more alert, mentally sharp, and productive. I get lethargic and unfocused when I am sitting for a while.

Standing is actually harder on my back than walking, however, and walking would burn more calories. I'm looking into a treadmill desk. The below site seems to be a great resource.
WorkWhileWalking.com | Treadmill Desk Reviews, Expert Advice, Blog, Forums and More

There is also this, basically a poor man's treadmill desk. I'm probably going to try this at first before investing $1000+ into an actual prebuilt treadmill desk:
Build a Walking Work Station in 20 Minutes for $20

Most people I've talked to said that it's an adjustment with a treadmill desk. Initially, they are less productive. But after they get used to it, the treadmill and standing component of the routine is no longer a distraction. Out of shape people obviously wouldn't be able to walk the entire 8 hour day. The goal is to walk at a slow pace to where you aren't breaking out a sweat. You need a specialized walking treadmill for this, as most treadmills will quickly burn out if you walk 2 mph on them for 8 hours a day.

Literally the biggest (well, maybe second biggest behind poor nutrition) cause of obesity in America is that most of us sit down all day while working. If you were to get a treadmill desk, and walk at about 2 mph for even half the day, you could burn about 1000 calories. (see Calorie Burn Calculator, Most Accurate) That's a massive difference. Sedentary sitting jobs are killing us, but most of us just don't have time to lead active lifestyles, but treadmill desks could change all of this.

Does anyone here have experience with a treadmill desk, or know anyone who has one? What have been the experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
I saw a treadmill desk highlighted on some news program months ago. Beyond the fact that you'd be "bouncing" a bit due to the walking motion (I realize it's a slow pace), I'm not confident you could really pull off a 100% ergonomic workstation for $20. The video I saw had the person reaching for his keyboard a bit and that would certainly lead to all sorts of neck, shoulder, etc. problems in the long-term. I think I'd rather have a few extra lbs vs. stabbing next or shoulder pain.

I love the idea, I just don't see that this is totally practical. Most offices would likely frown at someone hauling in a giant treadmill to their workspace and most people would not have the room for it. I work from home so I get up every 20 minutes or so and walk around and then at lunch I go for a good 20-30 minute fast-paced walk. This is in addition to going to the gym 5 to 6 days a week first thing in the a.m. I realize everyone isn't in the same situation, but a more reasonable idea is to just get up and move as frequently as you can.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 9,940 times
Yeah, with those risk for those injuries doesn't sound like it would be worth it. Plus, how could you read? I can't even look at a magazine when I'm on the treadmill. Need a stationary bike for that. Interesting idea though.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I think the problem is that even though that is WAY better than sitting (for so many reasons), you will acclimate. Your body is genius at acclimating.

My job is 8-10 hours on my feet dashing about and then sitting and then standing and then dashing and then sitting...several people have put on pedometers and show we move about 6 miles a shift easily.

Does not matter. You have to exercise ABOVE that...your body gets used to it and we still have a bunch of fatties (literally) running around here.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
The biggest hurdle to getting lean and staying lean in modern society is that most of us live a sedentary lifestyle.
No, the biggest hurdle to getting lean is eating too many calories.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:58 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
No treadmill, but I do the standing desk. It's not $20. It's an Ikea table/desk that was about $150 and a $20 set of RV jack stands. Not the most sightly, but it's completely adjustable.

But yeah, walking for six hours a day at a really low speed (say 1-2 mph) is going to burn about as many calories as two Krispy Kreme donuts.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-07-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,846,485 times
My company has one at each of it's campuses, IMO, just so they could say what a healthy promoting company we are, let's pat ourselves on the back. Initially, they were really popular, and you'd have to submit your name in a drawing for a chance to do it. of course, you had to get manager approval, and ours only let one special person do it. They found that that not all employees were able to work in that setting, as most of us are in multiple program & have to be mapped to multiple drives. Our department could only do really basic things like preliminary work. But if you had one of those no brainier type of jobs, or just answered the phones, you could walk and work.

We never hear about them anymore, and I really don't think anyone uses them. Thus, my opinion above.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
I think a standing desk makes sense for a lot of people. I find that I'm much more alert if I'm standing especially when I'm reading. As far as a treadmill desk, I'm with caligirlz, I think it would just be a novelty and would be a hindrance to productivity. As for any benefits, there are plenty of things you can do that are much more beneficial than walking slowly on a treadmill.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:28 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
The easiest way to get lean is to provide your own transportation (....bike to work) every day.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:05 PM

390 posts, read 824,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No treadmill, but I do the standing desk. It's not $20. It's an Ikea table/desk that was about $150 and a $20 set of RV jack stands. Not the most sightly, but it's completely adjustable.

But yeah, walking for six hours a day at a really low speed (say 1-2 mph) is going to burn about as many calories as two Krispy Kreme donuts.
I do the standing desk too, and love it.

Six hours a day at a low speed would burn well over 1000 calories for most people - that's far more than two Krispy Kreme donuts. And any poor diet can outstrip calories burned, but if you combined four hours on a treadmill desk every day with an hour of vigorous exercise after work and a clean diet, you could easily drop weight.

The problem many people have is that they are so sedentary, that no sane diet will feasibly allow them to lose weight very quickly. Many people who sit all day may have a maintenance calorie level of only about 2,000 calories. It's very difficult to only eat 2,000 calories a day while getting the nutrients you need and feel full, which is why sedentary people are usually fat, because they eat far more than their maintenance level. To lose weight at a decent pace, they would have to drop their caloric intake to 1800 calories per day, which is even more difficult! Being sedentary all day also affects hormones that control hunger, causing us to overeat and eat poorly. But if you had enough activity in your diet to where your maintenance calorie level was at 3,000 calories a day (easily achievable if you walk a few hours a day), you can combine that with a healthy diet, eat 2700 calories a day and be well nourished and feel full, while losing over a pound every two weeks. It is FAR easier to lose weight when you have a high activity level - exercise makes a huge difference when paired with a good diet.

The problem I'm wondering, and what others have pointed out, is how much of a hit to productivity a treadmill desk would entail. I would think walking at only 2 mph wouldn't cause too much bumping. I've heard that most people are able to acclimate to it and still be productive, but others in this topic are saying they've heard otherwise. It does seem the treadmill desk would have to be very ergonomically correct to prevent strain and injury.

Perhaps an easier solution is just to do whatever it takes to get more exercise time into your day - maybe work an hour or two less per day and replace that time with exercise. If you have time in your day to read or watch TV, do that on a treadmill instead of the couch or a recliner. Personally, I exercise 2-3 hours a day, and am in great shape even though I probably sit down four hours a day - for people like me, a standing desk is more than sufficient. But for people who work all the time and have a family to come home to at night, they may not have any time at all for exercise - so a treadmill desk might be something they could look into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think the problem is that even though that is WAY better than sitting (for so many reasons), you will acclimate. Your body is genius at acclimating.

My job is 8-10 hours on my feet dashing about and then sitting and then standing and then dashing and then sitting...several people have put on pedometers and show we move about 6 miles a shift easily.

Does not matter. You have to exercise ABOVE that...your body gets used to it and we still have a bunch of fatties (literally) running around here.
Your body will acclimate to a certain degree, but six hours of walking will not magically burn 50% fewer calories because your body adapted to it. The adaptive component of steady state cardio has been shown to vary from person to person, but is generally less than 10%. The biggest difference in the caloric burn of cardio is caused by change in body mass - if you drop 20 pounds as the result of walking 2 mph every day, you will be burning fewer calories due to the reduction in body mass. But the point is that in the equation of caloric expenditure - caloric intake = caloric excess/deficiency, it's far easier to get a caloric deficiency if your caloric expenditure is high. For jobs like yours, a treadmill desk would be silly.

Last edited by hazergore1198; 06-10-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness