Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times

Advertisements

Just some basic background information. I'm 30, 5'10 or 5'11 (depending on my drivers' license), I weigh between 180-190 pounds, and about 10-20 pounds overweight. I have a decent amount of muscle snd I am broad shouldered, so I wear it well. I work an office job, so I don't have a job that keeps me in shape.

Tried to come up with an exercise routine based on prison life due to a limited budget and lack of space, but doing burpees in my bedroom got old quick.

Any pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,814 times
So you're looking for something you can do at home? Do you have any extra space? Budget?

1. Get a pull up bar that goes in a door frame. Pull ups are one of the best upper body exercises.

2. If your budget allows, I'd get a decent adjustable bench (seriously, the difference between a $120 bench and a 70$ bench is a no brainer if you want something sturdy) And get a set of these: Shop CAP 40-lb Adjustable Dumbbell Set at Lowes.com

You can get additional weights for them that go up to about 85lbs each. You can also get a curl bar attachment as well. With those you can then do basically everything you need. If that's the route you want to go let me know and I can write you a work out based on how many days you want to lift and time you want to spend. The hardest part will be getting a good leg and back workout due to the lack of weight. Other than that, with the pull up bar, dumbbells, and bench you can get a work out basically as good as any gym.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Just remember that everything works for about 6 weeks. I always try to switch up my routines or make minor tweaks every 6 weeks unless I am training for something specific like a race or other outdoor adventure. Then I cycle easy weeks and hard weeks with an end goal of either increasing mileage or increasing the speed/intensity of the activity.

I have had success doing bodyweight only programs for 6 weeks, kettlebell programs for 6 weeks, barbell programs for 6 weeks or hiking/trail running for that period of time. Keep it simple, clean up your diet and commit to 3 days a week of something.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:11 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Just some basic background information. I'm 30, 5'10 or 5'11 (depending on my drivers' license), I weigh between 180-190 pounds, and about 10-20 pounds overweight. I have a decent amount of muscle snd I am broad shouldered, so I wear it well. I work an office job, so I don't have a job that keeps me in shape.

Tried to come up with an exercise routine based on prison life due to a limited budget and lack of space, but doing burpees in my bedroom got old quick.

Any pointers?

Running, only requires a great pair of shoes and a route you feel safe with can be done anytime and anywhere...Plus you can take it with you on vacation find a park or school track, etc....

Old 09-15-2014, 01:12 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,962 times
Access to a gym at all? If not, check out the bodyweight routine at https://fitloop.co/

Old 09-15-2014, 01:37 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:

Any pointers?
There are so many things you can do! Among the cheapest and easiest:
running
walking
hiking
exercise videos
yoga (with a video)
swimming (if you live near a cheap pool or beach)
biking (if you already own a bike)
stair walking/running (I see people doing this all the time at the local high school stadium, but I used to do it Rocky-style on the steps of the capitol building back when that was still possible)

Best of all - combine all of them and do something different every day. Just decide what you feel like doing on that day. Anything gets old fast if you do the same thing all the time.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:30 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Getting in shape is simple.

Consult a professional on diet to get some tips. Diet is all experimentation with what you like. For working out, you have to do cardio + weights. You can't omit either; it just hinders progress.

Here is a simple plan:

Cardio, pick one:
Running, cycling, swimming, aerobic sport (soccer, basketball, hockey, etc.), zumba, kickboxing, regular boxing. Do 30 minutes of it for 2-3 days per week.

Weights are easy. You really only need to do these seven exercises:
Bench Press / Incline Press, Shoulder Press, Bent-over rows, Arm Curls, Squats, Deadlifts, and Calf Raises.

Do the four upper body exercises twice per week, and the three lower body exercises (squats, deadlifts, calf raises) once per week. Standard volume for most weight routines are 4 sets of each for 10 repetitions. Don't worry about lifting heavy, just have good form and complete the sets with enough weight that the fourth set is hard (inducing failure).

Works like a charm. Simple but effective.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:40 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Just remember that everything works for about 6 weeks. I always try to switch up my routines or make minor tweaks every 6 weeks unless I am training for something specific like a race or other outdoor adventure. Then I cycle easy weeks and hard weeks with an end goal of either increasing mileage or increasing the speed/intensity of the activity.

I have had success doing bodyweight only programs for 6 weeks, kettlebell programs for 6 weeks, barbell programs for 6 weeks or hiking/trail running for that period of time. Keep it simple, clean up your diet and commit to 3 days a week of something.
The mixing up the routine is what I need the most advice with. I mean have been able to exercise on a regular basis in the past for a few months straight, but the trying to get the most of out it and avoiding injury are always a concern.

I am currently helping family out with some of their bills, so my budget is limited.

That is why I was attempting to copy a prison exercise routine. Those guys are in great shape and some of them spend 23 hours a day in a cell. But I also realized that the reason why they are in great shape is that they have nothing else to do and they also have the incentive of staying in shape because it will help them defend themselves against stabbings and sexual assault.

I'm exercising because I only have a few more years before I'm the creepy old guy at the bar, so I want to make the most out of it.

Also when I was doing burpees and by the time I got to ten I was an uncoordinated and wheezing mess, it really hammered the fact that I'm not the 16 year old on the wrestling team that I used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Running, only requires a great pair of shoes and a route you feel safe with can be done anytime and anywhere...Plus you can take it with you on vacation find a park or school track, etc....
True. But the problem is that I work 9 hour shifts and I can be at the office as early as 6AM or as late as 10PM, so it is a little difficult for me to do a running routine before or after work.

Good suggestion and I still appreciate your input.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
-pf membership
-run outside
-get a pull-up bar
-hike
-swim

don't just "walk". i'll admit that walking is better than nothing, but you will not see fast results if you just "walk" LOL. you're 30, not 86. run like you just robbed a bank and you're trying to get away from the police. that's what I do when I wanna beat my previous times.

bonus: you mentioned prison routine, try this:

-curl a cinderblock
-carry a shiv
-get a prison tat
-one-armed pushups
-one-legged squats
-attach soap to a rope and practice picking the soap up with your feet in the shower(flexibility-coordination win!).

good luck bro

Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:

Any pointers?
Stronglift 5x5 which is a MWF exercise of three movements each. Add some cardio work when you can during the week preferably TuesThurs or ThurSat or SunTue. Cardio can be fast tread, spinning, interval elliptical, sprinting, combat cardio with body weights to start and more as you gain strength and stamina.

You might get hooked and became a gym rat but you definitely will get in shape.

The weight loss is really diet. Recommend start a myfitnesspal.com food log.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness