Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times

Advertisements

As countless others have said, 3 weeks is nothing in terms of exercising. Depending upon how overweight or out of shape you are, it may take 9-12 months to see any effects on your body or legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I agree but I got some energy today and worked on weights. Wow! Night and day difference between what I was doing before and working with weights. In just twenty mins of good lifting I feel I got more out of it than an hour of the push-up and dips I was doing before.

I don't see this talking that long unless you're talking about looking like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I'm seeing some improvement because I used to exercise a lot before, mostly push-ups and dips. I'm not starting from scratch as though I've never worked out before.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Big difference between walking, jogging, running and sprinting. You will have more of a benefit from sprinting for 15 minutes than walking for one hour.
So wrong. Walking at 4 mph for an hour burns more calories and builds more endurance than a 15-minute sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Walking and running will only work for you butt and legs.
It does nothing for your waist and upward fitness.
That's wrong, too, because you're confusing fitness with muscle building. Walking and running will tone and build muscles only in the lower body, true; however, they burn fat and contribute to overall fitness.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
you are doing just fine radiolibre99. I have a feeling all will work out for you (pun intended). What is the provenance of your handle? Are you from the great state of Cuba?

Old 10-15-2014, 03:16 PM

I'm not Cuban but studied cuban history and really liked all the cool names they had for their stuff, one was free radio or liberation radio Cuba. I'm not a fan of the Cuban regime of course but they had the first "hipster" kinda revolution of the era. Too bad it went downhill.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So wrong. Walking at 4 mph for an hour burns more calories and builds more endurance than a 15-minute sprint.

That's wrong, too, because you're confusing fitness with muscle building. Walking and running will tone and build muscles only in the lower body, true; however, they burn fat and contribute to overall fitness.
No. Sprinting is far superior to walking.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr102.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/21...burn-more-fat/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm

Old 10-15-2014, 03:27 PM

What about both? Sprinting, then walking and then sprinting and on and on for an hour?

Old 10-15-2014, 03:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What about both? Sprinting, then walking and then sprinting and on and on for an hour?
That is how is should be done. No one sprints for extended period then it is not a sprint. Sprint is an explosive short duration run. I do it for 40-50 yards(size of our track length) and then walk for a few seconds, start at 10 seconds interval, to a minute and do it again. The duration in between depends on overall fatigue and HR. The walk period gets longer the longer one is doing the sprinting activity.

An hour! I do not last and hour. You will know your limits. Be careful sprinting if you are not warmed up you may experience a cramp/seizure in hamstring/quad or worse. Warm up gradually and then hit it. Again, you know your body better than anyone. Do not try and re-enact Chariots of Fire on your first day.

Last edited by Felix C; 10-15-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 03:44 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Should I just start running first to burn some fat?
Ive read through many of the posts here and suggest the following:

1. Pick up this book - The NEW High Intensity Training (HIT) by Ellington Darden. Read it. Learn it. Live it. This book will solve your "how much weight should I lift and for how many sets?" question. Do the "Get Fit Quick" workout routine/diet plan first. This is basically a VERY good "cut" (i.e., fat burning) routine that would get you well on your way to your goal.

2. Burn fat - RUN. Pick a distance. At your age (30 years) and no matter your current fitness level, I suggest a 5k. 5k is neither too far or too short, IMO its the perfect distance for someone just starting out who wants to burn fat and improve their fitness. Set your timer, and your Nike+ (or whatever app you like to use on your iPad) and run for as long as you can. When you can run no more, walk. When you've rested a bit, run again. Mix and repeat until you complete the 5k. Your GOAL is to complete the 5k in faster time than your previous run.

3. Timing. It should take you no more than 40 minutes to complete your 5k initially, so I suggest waking up early and doing it before you go to work in the morning. Figure, waking up an hour earlier which is no big deal. You can hit the weights later in the day/evening. But do this cardio/fat burning run on an empty stomach.

4. Pick up a book on NUTRITION. I HIGHLY recommend "Power Eating" by Kkleiner. Reat it. Learn it. Live it. This will give you a very good base on NUTRITION and how to fuel not only your workouts, but also your body for optimal efficiency, health, performance and fat burning.

If you are unable to do these, then sign up at a Crossfit gym near you and do at least 4 classes per week. This "personal/group" training will FORCE you to go above and beyond what you will normally and comfortably do yourself (which is probably why you are seeking advice on how to get results because you cant do it yourself) which is no big deal, but with the coaches and others its like P.E. or Football practice from high school all over again.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Read my post above. You can mix in sprints (TABATA/HIIT/Fartlek) with your cardio and many studies have proven that this is superior for fat burning than just steady state cardio.

I still suggest a good short distance like 5k and time yourself. Really, really, really try to complete it in better time each time you do it. This will not only show you that you ARE improving, but its really motivational when you challenge yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness