Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:23 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Only to the degree that extremely low body fat is correlated with general health...which I would guess is pretty low considering all the tings some do to get cut like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 07:49 PM

122 posts, read 209,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I don't understand this. It's like some feel that achieving this is the pinnacle of health or sexual prowess. For some people (not everyone), abs are visible only at very low body fat percentages, and in fact these body fat percentages can at times be too low an unhealthy. I'm not saying that people with visible abs are unhealthy at all, I'm just saying that some people (especially men) have this weird idea that if they can't see their abs, they have failed at physical fitness. Why is this?
A six-pack is an elusive physique goal for many, which is why it is so sought after. I do agree with you though that those who see it as the end-all-be-all of fitness are misguided.

Abs on most males are visible at 8-10% bodyfat. Granted, you won't be shredded at that percentage, but anyone who sees you with your shirt off isn't going to complain. Unhealthy bodyfat percentages are well below 6%, which won't happen without weeks of specialized dieting.

Also, it'd be in the best interest of your health to keep belly fat to a minimum, because abdominal fat secretes an enzyme that behaves similar to cortisol, as well as acting as a fat-storing signal:

Cortisol Connection

However, the fact that the abdominals are one of the most stubborn areas in the entire body for resisting fat loss doesn't help things:

T Nation | How to Burn Stubborn Body Fat

Old 11-05-2014, 05:31 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
I had a six pack- it´s empty now :-(

Old 11-05-2014, 05:55 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
I can say that having a six pack feels great and if you've never had one then you should try at least once in your life.

It just requires diet and exercise discipline (which most people don't have), not dehydration. Cut the chronic addiction to sugar, sodium, and saturated fat that most Americans seem to possess, and more would have six packs.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I can say that having a six pack feels great and if you've never had one then you should try at least once in your life.

It just requires diet and exercise discipline (which most people don't have), not dehydration. Cut the chronic addiction to sugar, sodium, and saturated fat that most Americans seem to possess, and more would have six packs.
Not to nitpick your comment on sugar, sodium, and sat. fat but getting a six pack is based on being in a caloric deficit, not avoiding any specific macro or micronutrient. You can cut out all the "unclean" foods but if you are not in a caloric deficit, fat will not be lost.

Many athletes have six packs simply because their physical activity makes it that they burn off more than they consume, so their body fat level is low enough to show ab muscles.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Yes, you should have a six pack to be healthy. Visable abs denote healthy body fat levels. Men should be 7-10% (abs are visable under 10). I'm not sure what the percentage is for women.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Only to the degree that extremely low body fat is correlated with general health...which I would guess is pretty low considering all the tings some do to get cut like that.
Not exactly. My abs are easily visable and my body fat is consistently around 7%.

I don't strive for one, but I'm a bicycle commuter. When I started riding, I was around 11% body fat. It gradually cut down over a period of 3-4 months then bottomed out at 7%. With a good diet, the human body won't go below 7% for a male, unless one starves / dehydrates themselves.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I was referring to fitness models. You know those folks in magazines that have the perfect 6 pack abs? They are dehydrated. But they are also very fit. And those pics are everywhere making it seem like they are relatively easy to obtain, and that they are the epitome of good health and fitness.
Men can get 6 pack abs much easier than women. We naturally have more fat and our muscles do not get bulky. There is a lot of dedication involved for this type of vanity as they neither prove ones strength or endurance. They look good though, no doubt about that. You can see the outline of my abs but the six pack is not there. For me personally at 53 its just not important as I am pretty much past my expiration date for showing them off. LOL.
I agree with all of Lucky's ^^ posts. I am a 65 y.o. woman, at this stage of my life it is not advised for me to go too low in body fat. In fact my doctors say I do not need to lose any weight and one even called me "skinny" yesterday. I am definitely NOT skinny, but am well below the BMI for my age and height. Anyway, I work out 3 times per week plus do yoga, belly dance and bike riding. The only place I still have a little too much fat is my stomach, but at my age that is just the way it is due to hormones. I still look better and more fit than most of the women I see that are my age and even decades younger. At the gym I really do not see hardly ANYONE including the young, buff men have a super-defined six-pack. I think that is difficult to achieve for many if not most, and personally do not see why that is such a desirable goal. Don't get me wrong, I like to see people with good muscle definition; but I just like to see healthy and fit which is realistic for most anyone, male or female and all ages. I think it is enough to have a toned flat (or mostly flat) stomach and strong core, especially on women.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Years ago I was on a workout and diet plan and I got down to 4% body fat and all I remember is being cold all the time. I think we need some body fat to be healthy and to have bit of reserve if we were to get sick.
The people who obtain the toned 6 pack abs are amazingly disciplined but long term I don't think it is healthy.
There is nothing wrong with being toned and strong, man or woman.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yes, you should have a six pack to be healthy. Visable abs denote healthy body fat levels. Men should be 7-10% (abs are visable under 10). I'm not sure what the percentage is for women.
Are you saying that people without six packs are unhealthy?

Because a male in his 30s who has a body fat of 14% is at pretty healthy levels.

I agree that having a six pack CAN be healthy, but I don't think it's prerequisite to actually being healthy. On the flip side of the equation, a person with visible abs but a very low body weight is not very healthy at all despite having visible abs. I knew a guy who had a six pack, but he also weighed 115 lb. at 5'9. A six pack isn't an end-all be-all. And also, if someone tries to get a six pack and ends up losing more weight than they actually need to in the pursuit of a six pack, that is unhealthy, too. Some people are just underweight and even if they don't have six packs, they probably shouldn't worry about getting one until they have enough of a healthy weight.

Men don't need to be 7-10% body fat to be healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness