Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM

6,480 posts, read 7,832,406 times

Advertisements

I’m in Boston. Our forecast calls for epic storm. I’ve already cleared 4” of wet, heavy snow from a large area this past weekend (I didn’t use the snowblower).

This weekend will be all hands on deck and I will likely not have the strength, nor time, nor space, to do what I usually do for exercise. So I’m trying to rationalize things and make me feel better by admitting snow removal into the halls of exercise.

Would you consider it exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM

96 posts, read 117,835 times
Absolutely. A strenuous one at that.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,593,657 times
Yes. There will be the usual rush of heart attacks brought on by those who don't realize how strenuous it is.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM

22,423 posts, read 29,568,306 times
Of course but be careful and pace yourself

Old 01-26-2015, 03:08 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,722,113 times
I just finished shoveling my driveway for the second time today. I'm sure we don't have anywhere near the amount of snow that Boston is getting. Shoveling snow is exercise, but I don't consider it a replacement for either the cardiovascular or strength training exercise that I do. I can't compare shoveling snow to running six miles at a relatively fast pace. There is no way that it is comparable. I also can't compare shoveling show to lifting weights. The problem with shoveling snow is you're using the same muscles and the same repetitive motion, which is a risk for injury.

I bought the biggest snow shovel I could find and it is tiring and it is also easy to hurt yourself. The motion is awkward and there is also the chance of slipping. I've slipped and fell numerous times while shoveling snow including almost going down today.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:36 PM

6,480 posts, read 7,832,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Shoveling snow is exercise, but I don't consider it a replacement for either the cardiovascular or strength training exercise that I do. I can't compare shoveling snow to running six miles at a relatively fast pace. There is no way that it is comparable. I also can't compare shoveling show to lifting weights.
I agree but am trying hard not to.

Snowmagedon baby! It's gonna be EPIC.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:27 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,011,245 times
Hmmmm....maybe this explains why I've gained weight since I moved to Arizona.....

Old 01-26-2015, 05:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,528,207 times
There is nothing about shoveling snow that equates to exercise. Just look at the body mechanics involved and you can see how bad it is for the body. You are bending over, using your back as part of a lever and hope this will give you a work out? What it will do is harm your back, Stress your heart in ways it wasn't meant to be stressed and for what, to do something they make machines do?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM

15,888 posts, read 21,507,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
There is nothing about shoveling snow that equates to exercise. Just look at the body mechanics involved and you can see how bad it is for the body. You are bending over, using your back as part of a lever and hope this will give you a work out? What it will do is harm your back, Stress your heart in ways it wasn't meant to be stressed and for what, to do something they make machines do?
Very expensive machines. Many of us shovel because we don't have the choice - so better make the best of it!

We only splurge on a plow to move the mounds of wet, soppy snow at the end of the driveway and 4 or 5 feet into the street that the plow kicks up when there's more than a foot of snow. My tactic has been to focus on bending with my knees, alternate which arm I use dominantly, and take frequent breaks. I'll often go out several times in a storm to get the snow while it is dryer and less accumulation. It ends up being a decent legs workout - I don't typically feel it too much in my back and arms the next morning, but I definitely feel it in my thighs and tush!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,034,743 times
Not exactly the best conditions for exercise needs as it can be especially dangerous to seniors. Plus the danger of increased time to medical aid because of conditions. Stay safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness