Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 06:30 AM

15 posts, read 37,349 times

Advertisements

the lower back pain started around 3 months ago after performing really heavy deadlifts. i am not sure if my form was wrong, but at the time i thought it was fine, though i may have been wrong. the pain went away for a few weeks until i trained my back again, then it returned so i discontinued back training. my back was fine until about 3 weeks ago when i thought i'd go back to doing light deadlifts, but even this didn't help and i've now still got the lower back pain.

i am planning to go to see the doctor next week, but is it still okay to exercise? i have been doing light stretches for my back, running and other weight training. i have researched this online and if it's a slipped disc i should not be bending forward, which is what i've done over the last few weeks when picking up dumbbells, loaded barbells etc.

i don't think i could survive without some form of exercise. i go to the gym around 4-5 times a week and i run, weight lift, use the punchbag etc. should i just avoid any back exercises? what about lat pulldowns/pullups? the thing is, it could be weeks before the hospital give me a scan (assuming i will need a scan) so i don't want to do nothing, and i would prefer to continue moderate exercise, especially running, arm and chest training, and punch bag workout.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 09:54 PM

53 posts, read 66,868 times
The research shows that deadlifts are incredibly easy to injure oneself on, even if form is perfect. It just happens. Replace deadlifts with other exercises. I don't do them anymore either. Not one person has noticed. No one cares how muscular your lower back and hamstrings look. Don't ruin your back for life. Your body is telling you that it isn't accepting the deadlift no matter what you try, so listen to it and choose some alternatives.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Don't do anything that hurts until you get feedback from the doctor -- even stretching your back could cause you a problem. Its not worth it to aggravate your injury just to get a few more workouts in. I'm sure there will still be some form of exercise that you'll be able to do, even if you have hurt your back some. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 AM

419 posts, read 1,238,652 times
It is quite a long road when dealing with Dr.'s and a lower back issue. Most of them have their hands tied as far as how the process works. First they will start you with Ibuprofen and muscle relaxers to see if it is muscle related and most like will prescribe P.T. which is a total joke because they don't even know what is wrong with you yet, so how can they prescribe the proper exercises to make you better and/or not do more harm than good? They say you should give yourself a few days rest and then start moving again so your muscles don't atrophy.

If your DR. prescribes ibuprofen, tell your DR. you want Diclofenac instead. Diclofenac is so much more effective than Ibuprofen is and if your issue is disc related the medicine will help you. Demand an MRI and don't take no for an answer. A lot of insurance companies don't want to spend the money, but your DR should be able to help you get one. If your Dr. doesn't seem to want to get in your corner in regard to getting one, find another Dr.

If you have strained your muscles and can easily take 6-8 weeks to heal providing you don't keep re-injuring it. If it is disc related, a series of 3 epidurals can do wonders for you. Hurting your back sucks, stay away from any exercise that puts a lot of strain on it.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:41 AM

15 posts, read 37,349 times
Hypothetically speaking, if it's a herniated disc, what are the best low impact exercises and cardio can be done for fat loss? Before my back got injured, i wanted to get in shape for summer and it's going to be harder to do if I do have a herniated disc and cannot perform weights or running for weeks.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:48 AM

195 posts, read 186,327 times
Google is your friend, so is youtube. Do the research. It's your back, and the information, if not appropriate, will hurt you, not us, or anyone else. Web MD is usually a good start, lots of links there to more in-depth answers and research.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingButTheTruth2015 View Post
The research shows that deadlifts are incredibly easy to injure oneself on, even if form is perfect. It just happens. Replace deadlifts with other exercises. I don't do them anymore either. Not one person has noticed. No one cares how muscular your lower back and hamstrings look. Don't ruin your back for life. Your body is telling you that it isn't accepting the deadlift no matter what you try, so listen to it and choose some alternatives.
The deadlift works more than just the hamstrings and lower back. It may be an even more complete exercise than the squat. It's a great exercise for a man, releasing large amounts of hgh and testosterone during workouts. In fact, it may be just a bit too manly for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness