Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:33 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times

Advertisements

Motivation comes deep from within. You have got to want to lose weight more than you want to do anything else. When you are there you will not make excuses. Its a hard place to get to, and some never do.
But you will find once you are there and committed it is not half as hard as you think it will be. And the end result, you being healthy, is better compensation than any cheeseburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
My sister put a naked pic of herself on the frigde. That helped her tremendously to lose weight

Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
What motivated me to start losing weight was the fact that I don't want to be a burden to anyone. When you're overweight and sick, you become a burden to everyone around you because you can't take care of yourself anymore.

I just forced myself to stop eating a lot of things, cut back on the cheese and eat more vegetables and fruits. I also drink water/coconut water. I dropped soda completely for a long time. I also don't eat meat often, only chicken or fish.

I go to the YMCA four days a week now. You can do it if you put your mind to it.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:18 PM

379 posts, read 359,505 times
Vanity and sex appeal worked for me. I wanted to look better and get laid more.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:19 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Start with baby steps. Give up one bad food habit for 30 days. If you try to do it all at once you will be overwhelmed and give up. I loved being fit and when I got sick with a super bug that took away everything physical from me for nearly ten years the extra pounds came back. I still have the infection and the December flare up was horrendous when I started riding my bike again. I'm back into clothes I couldn't wear for years and I still want to lose another 20 pounds. Heat has not been my friend for ten years and it's a delicate balance for me not to get over heated. How do you lose weight without sweating? Be grateful that you have the option to get fit without winding up on yet another round of toxic antibiotics that are guaranteed to make you sick for the first week or so of a 30 day round. Sometimes I feel like a racehorse forever stuck at the starting gate. I love being physical. Don't take it for granted. It's a gift so go ahead and use it before you lose it.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
Vanity and sex appeal worked for me. I wanted to look better and get laid more.
Vanity is the greatest motivator to get healthy!

Old 07-07-2015, 02:22 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Sounds to me like your problem isn't motivation per se, but rather how to go about actually putting it into action in the best way possible.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:52 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_fins View Post
I'll check out the movie but I don't see myself going from nearly an all meat diet to juicing. Maybe I can find another way to incorporate more vegetables into my diet though.

Once I figure out a diet I will need to figure out a workout routine and how to make time for it while working 50+ hours a week.
I'll just speak for myself here. When I said watch the movie, I meant watch the movie (to maybe get motivated), not to start juicing. As I may have mentioned, it did motivate me to try smoothies, as opposed to juicing.

P.S. Don't call it a diet. Unless you mean in the sense of "way of eating for rest of my life."

Old 07-07-2015, 03:54 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My sister put a naked pic of herself on the frigde. That helped her tremendously to lose weight
This would have been funnier if you would have said, "My sister put a naked pic of herself on the fridge. That helped ME tremendously to lose weight."

Old 07-07-2015, 03:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
I lost a lot of weight about 30lbs by just changing my diet and doing an hour of cardio a day. I went on a low carb diet, more protein and small snacks throughout the day, I cut out the beer and soda. If i have a snack its a cheese stick or low fat jello, I eat deli meat without the bread, a eat a lot of meat like steaks and burgers, almost no carbs like pasta, pizza, bread. It did make a huge difference. Everyone has to find what works for them, what motivated me was losing my gorgeous gf, everyone has to find their own motivation to stay fit. I did get out of weight at one time and you do lose energy its horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness