Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 04:03 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times

Advertisements

'I'm better than you' attitude because I'm into fitness?

Sure, I've experienced it. I've dated a couple gym bunnies that thought that way. And it's just not women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 05:33 PM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
'I'm better than you' attitude because I'm into fitness?

Sure, I've experienced it. I've dated a couple gym bunnies that thought that way. And it's just not women.
If a woman literally says, "I'm better than you because I'm into fitness" there is a personality flaw, but the issue doesn't have anything to do with the weights or the fitness, because it could be "I'm better than you because I'm [insert numerous possible activities]."

Old 11-05-2015, 05:53 PM

145 posts, read 160,455 times
Fit women are almost never jealous of anyone. They could rub elbows with Hillary Clinton and Carly Fiorina and still feel superior.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:53 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
If a woman literally says, "I'm better than you because I'm into fitness" there is a personality flaw, but the issue doesn't have anything to do with the weights or the fitness, because it could be "I'm better than you because I'm [insert numerous possible activities]."
I have an acquaintance like that. Whatever her new kick happens to be, she does it with gusto... at least until she moves on to the next kick. At one point it was the gym, then "clean" eating, then her carbon footprint and seeing how little trash she could generate, then going "all natural" with her health and beauty routine. It's exhausting, not so much because it's her thing, but because of the soapbox lectures that accompany it.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I have an acquaintance like that. Whatever her new kick happens to be, she does it with gusto... at least until she moves on to the next kick. At one point it was the gym, then "clean" eating, then her carbon footprint and seeing how little trash she could generate, then going "all natural" with her health and beauty routine. It's exhausting, not so much because it's her thing, but because of the soapbox lectures that accompany it.
I find that fitness tends to attract this demographic in droves. A lot of fit women can be quite condescending and passive aggressive towards other women. It's usually not overt, but it's there.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
I find that fitness tends to attract this demographic in droves. A lot of fit women can be quite condescending and passive aggressive towards other women. It's usually not overt, but it's there.
From my observation, they are the outliers. I don't now if age has anything to do with it, but I've found that women in my age group (35+) tend to be pretty down to earth, especially those of us who have been humbled by having our bodies ripped to shreds by pregnancies; we're just happy not to be wearing Mom Jeans, lol.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It's exhausting, not so much because it's her thing, but because of the soapbox lectures that accompany it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
I've really only seen that with the CrossFit crowd in my day-to-day life. There aren't a whole lot of women that lift at my gym, but those who do have been pleasant during our sparse interactions.

Among my friends, the only holier-than-thou people tended to be the Crossfitters. A few of my friends are or have been fitness freaks in the past and I've never really sensed anything condescending about them. Now if they think kipping pullups are pullups we're going to have fisticuffs, but that's rarely the case.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524;41829862[B
]I've really only seen that with the CrossFit crowd[/b] in my day-to-day life. There aren't a whole lot of women that lift at my gym, but those who do have been pleasant during our sparse interactions.
What I have noticed with the Crossfit women is that they tend to come across as super friendly and smiley. Much more so than women I come across at Equinox. Im talking smiley, pleasant, bubbly, positive, inspiring, and a "I can take on any challenge and win" attitude. Probably comes from really pushing themselves and being used to going "all out".

Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
As a woman who lifts (didn't before), I learned this thing called getting over myself. At the end of the day, gaining some subtle muscle lines, more physical strength, and better posture was better than trying to please others. I come from a family where the women pride sleek, skinny arms with no muscle tone. Not surprising, nearly all of them are overweight. Interesting how that works.

My husband thinks it's good I lift, because he knows it's something we can do together. He often encourages me to use his weight equipment and use proper form. It's easier for me to get into it with a husband who's into lifting. It's also nicer to not have batwing arms, either. One of the hangups women need to get over is you don't have to lift a lot to get results. Even batwing arms can be eliminated with lighter weights, as long as you use the right exercises and form.

I noticed the question pertains to women who lift, rather than women into fitness in general. I do believe there are personality differences, because for one a lot of these women have come to accept they aren't going to look skinny minnie like Jessica Alba, and might lean more to Linda Hamilton from Terminator. It's not a big deal, either. It takes a certain level of self-acceptance and confidence to do this.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 AM

Compared to the "cardio bunnies" I don't think women who lift have a confidence problem, quite the opposite actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness