Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 PM

16 posts, read 16,580 times

Advertisements

I decided to take a more deliberate approach to reducing my body fat. I already have a solid nutrition and exercise routine, minus the exact calorie count in and out. The most objective way IMO is simply to determine the best estimate of calories expended, and set my calories consumed to ~500 below that.

To estimate my calories expended I need to add my BMR plus calories burned during exercise. Using multiple calculators my BMR averages around 1850. The challenge for me is determining calories burned during exercise.

Every workout session involves 30 minutes on a stationary bike followed by ~hour of resistance training. (I do it this way for a very particular reason). The bike was telling me I was burning roughly 250 in 30 minutes. To determine burn during resistance training I used a HRM and belt. I simply plugged in the duration and average heart rate into an online calculator and it returned estimated calorie burn (very short rest periods, so average HR of ~142).

Just out of curiosity I decided to wear the HRM while riding the bike to compare the results. Again bike stated 250, but with an average heart rate of 157 for 30 minutes at age 41, 195 lbs., and height of 5'8", the estimate via the online calculator was 500. That's double what the bike stated!

I've always read that exercise machines over-estimate calorie burn, but in this sample it is quite the opposite. I tend to believe the estimates acquired using HR data. Short of getting professionally tested, is this the best method?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
I just see so much about calories being burned doing certain things and all these newfangled watches and HRMs and $100 bracelets and I just have to wonder, will I find myself a year from now reading that they're all bogus and worthless!

I myself just plan to figure out an estimate of calories burned while doing the activities I do. I go on the elliptical for 30 minutes, from all the research I've done, I've got a guesstimate of about 250 calories burned. Fine, works for me. I work from home and walk around my house a lot, so I'll times my BMR by about 1.25 to figure out how many calories I can eat. Done.

I just saved myself $150 on a bracelet that claims to give accurate information on my heart rate and calorie burn.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,300,581 times
I use MyFitnessPal to track calories and exercise, but before putting in my exercise I consult 3-4 different counters to verify potential calorie burn. They are all usually within 50 calories of each other, so I just err on the side of caution, pick the lowest one and put that in MyFitnessPal.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:24 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,561,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I use MyFitnessPal to track calories and exercise, but before putting in my exercise I consult 3-4 different counters to verify potential calorie burn. They are all usually within 50 calories of each other, so I just err on the side of caution, pick the lowest one and put that in MyFitnessPal.
Awesome. Perfecto!

Old 02-03-2016, 06:25 PM

645 posts, read 1,965,001 times
I use a polar heart rate monitor and the calories burned are usually less than what the machines display. So that's what I use to accurately track my calories.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 16,580 times
Thanks for your inputs and thoughts. I'll continue to research and find the answer to this disparity!

Old 02-05-2016, 01:36 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,845 times
At least part of the disparity (I think) is that you're double-counting your BMR for the time spent exercising. So if you're using HR data/calc for 1.5 hours, you need to divide your BMR by 24 and multiply by 22.5, then layer in the calories for your exercise period (calced by HR, I guess). See where that comes out and adjust manually from there. Being off 50-100 cals probably isn't going to make much difference on a daiy basis so long as your net intake is under your total calorie usage - it's only going to slow your weight loss by a little bit.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,235,688 times
Several years ago when I decided to lose some excess weight I had the same problem. There were many ways to calculate calories burned during exercise. In addition, I read that the calories in food only needed to be accurate to +/- 30%! Think about it. How are you going to calculate intake and expenditure to a fine degree with a possible 30% error?

It appears to me that they are all estimates. My suggestion is to be consistent. Use one method to calculate calories burned. Log your food similarly. So what if you find that for you a pound of fat burned appears to be 4810 calories? Or 2590? Establish your own baseline and make your own custom adjustments to your program.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:26 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
I use neither. Do Use a polar M400(outstanding for HR recording) and find the caloric burn rate to be excessive. I doubt I am burning 1000+calories in 1hr of extreme spinning or high bpm routines at the cardio boot camp.

Never viewed machines as accurate as personalization for an individual's conditioning is not possible.

After a few years of data logging with MyFitnesspal have gauged what daily routine exhaustion rate is to dietary intake.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-10-2016 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 AM

2,160 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I just see so much about calories being burned doing certain things and all these newfangled watches and HRMs and $100 bracelets and I just have to wonder, will I find myself a year from now reading that they're all bogus and worthless!
Its already pretty well known that these devices are not very accurate re' "calories burned."

Don in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I myself just plan to figure out an estimate of calories burned while doing the activities I do. I go on the elliptical for 30 minutes, from all the research I've done, I've got a guesstimate of about 250 calories burned. Fine, works for me. I work from home and walk around my house a lot, so I'll times my BMR by about 1.25 to figure out how many calories I can eat. Done.

I just saved myself $150 on a bracelet that claims to give accurate information on my heart rate and calorie burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness