Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 03:48 AM

4 posts, read 1,706 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone, I thought I would ask for some advice regarding fitness. I am a 27 year old man who never used to do any exercise until a year ago but I quit during the summer due to the heat (useless excuse) and I have started to use my treadmill a month ago now and have been using it at least 5 days per week.

My problem is I seem to be out of breath and sweating extremely bad at the slightest bit of exercise, I am only walking on a slight uphill incline! I was doing 15 minutes per day and this week I have pushed it up to 30 minutes per day.

I am just getting worried as to why I get out of breath so much and sweat like crazy, everything feels like a marathon. If this helps I have been to A&E about 10 times this year already due to panic attacks and I have been told there is nothing wrong with my heart at all, I have had numerous ECG, all blood tests and had my chest listened to and have been given the all clear every time I have been, I have no abnormal heart rhythmn or anything.

I just cannot work out why I am finding everything to feel like a marathon, I am honestly
Not extremely overweight compared to other people who are but for them they don’t seem to have as much of a hard time exercising as I do, why could that be?

I drink alcohol everyday and will be stopping soon but still I cannot work out why I am finding it so hard, everything honestly does feel like a marathon and as soon as I step off the treadmill it takes me ages to calm down and get my breath back and I am also starving but I wait until lunch time to eat, I have cornflakes for breakfast with no sugar.

Thank You for reading everyone, I am just worried why I seem to be so unfit but there is nothing medically wrong with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 04:48 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,011,441 times
Well, I'd have recommended a full workout for diabetes, thyroid disease, cardiac disease before doing exercise. It's hard to tell if you're trying to do too much on the treadmill. Why not go out for a slow walk outside for 30 mins every day and progress to a slow tempo run or walk run. Give yourself 6-12 months of improving this. Don't try to get fit overnight.

Watch what you eat (calories) and limit alcohol.

Always be properly hydrated (water, electrolyte drinks) BEFORE exercise......nutrition before exercise w/ slow absorbing carbohydrate maybe an hour or more before exercising.

Maybe look at doing activities to start that aren't so strenuous but fitness related. Yoga available? You get strong that way (core, balance, muscle strength).

Old 04-03-2019, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 6,483 times
If you got checked by a doctor, and everything seems fine, you may just have panic attacks and be really stressed lately. I had the same issue a few years back, I went to the doctor cause I seriously thought I had something wrong, and then I realized I was just very stressed. My advice to you would be try to drink less, or at least take a whole month off and see how that feels, and try to make your workout routine something fun that you look forward to do instead of something that scares you! Play some fun music, switch things up, and just think that you will be ok because you are young and already taking care of yourself!

Here is a link to a home treadmill routine that I personally do!

https://www.treadmillreviews.com/blo...dmill-routine/https://www.treadmillreviews.com/blo...dmill-routine/

Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,011,441 times
Yoga will teach you to calm your mind.....

Old 04-04-2019, 08:14 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Depending on HOW MUCH alcohol you are drinking every day, this alone could account for some or all of it.

Quit or cut back on the alcohol, go a bit easier on the exercise (don't pressure yourself!) and drink a lot of water. You probably also need to supplement with some magnesium. Best brand I have found is the powdered called "Natural Calm."

Hope this helps!

Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 1,706 times
Thank you ever so much for all your replies guys and girls, I can confirm that I am not diabetic as I had a fasting blood glucose test by my doctor a month ago and my blood sugar came back within normal range. (I was surprised I was not diabetic as I thought that was why I feel weak all the time)

Regarding the anxiety I have it 24/7, well I will have like one day a month where I feel good, I am honestly not trying to make an excuse for my drinking here but basically I have a whole day of bad anxiety that I then go and drink alcohol in the evening an hour before bed just so I can put myself to sleep, I am a complete idiot and I just do not know why I do not get a grip and get off the stuff.

I drink 4x440ML cans of Fosters Lager which equates to 7.2 units every single day, last week for the first time in ever I reduced that to 3 cans but I did not feel better so have now been an idiot again and gone up to 4 cans per day.

A year ago I could drink just under half a bottle of Brandy every day, I do not have the brandy anymore and my last cholesterol test had improved which made me extremely happy.

I will definitely get this alcohol nailed and eliminated, I am waiting to have counselling for my anxiety, I have been waiting for ages, I have been to A&E so many times but they have never found anything wrong with me, I am just extremely anxious.

I know it is stupid to say that I worry about my arteries clogging up and I drink alcohol but I can’t help it, I never used to worry about my health, I used to have extreme social anxiety, that has got better but now it is health anxiety, just worrying I am clogging my arteries etc, do you think at 27 that is too young to worry about?

I will keep exercising and aim to increase my time as the months go by but right now it is so hard, I can do it but it is the terrible sweating and I think I sweat too much as I am not extremely overweight.

Thank You so much again, any more advise and thoughts about me are welcome and so appreciated

Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times
How much do you weigh/height? Not having exercised much before, the extra weight, even if it’s not extreme, can add a lot to the difficulty of physical activity.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 548 times
Depending on how much alcohol you're drinking, that could be a large part of the issue. Cut back on that and give yourself time to see improvements. Consistency is going to help out a lot. Also keeping in mind of your diet is a big part. If you want you can check out this place and hopefully find some more solutions [url]http://reviewed.fitness.blog[/url]

Old 04-05-2019, 03:56 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
OP - "I am a 27 year old man who never used to do any exercise until a year ago but I quit during the summer due to the heat (useless excuse) and I have started to use my treadmill a month ago now and have been using it at least 5 days per week."

You need to condition the body.

In the meantime, buy a couple of Dri-Fit T-shirts and shorts so the sweat can dry fast and carry a towel with you if you are self-conscious about sweating.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times
I had to smile to my self reading the comments about sweating. Normally I don’t have a problem with that but when I exert myself, LOL, look out, sweat just drips off me. When I was practicing martial arts, I had to bring something with me to literally sop up the sweat on the floor where I was because I’d slip because the floor was so wet. Some of us just sweat a lot when exercising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness