Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 03:20 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Yes, of course.

But, not all opinions are equally reasonable or supported by fat... er, fact!

She's wicked fat.

Her stomach is not flat. Its just not as fat as her enormously large thighs, butt, and breast.

Look at her bulging musculature!

Then perhaps we have already lost the Battle of the Bulge.

So, too thin is bad, but, too fat is a breath of fresh air?
Here is the bottom line for the too fat too thin debate in my opinion. If you don't like looking a certain way then don't, but no one else has to conform to anyone else's standards. People can like or not like what they want. I think she is really sexy. Other's might not. It is her body, her choice and her business. She has just as much a right to be representing swim suits, lingerie or fashion as anyone else. If you don't like it too bad. I am not going around telling every person that looked like they just walked out of a concentration camp to put on a few pounds because it is not my business and they have just as much right to be happy with the way they look as anyone else. So pardon the expression but maybe the people weighing in on other people's weight should butt out of it . Let people enjoy the skin they are in and maybe we should all consider to stop pushing our standards on to other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 03:47 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Here is the bottom line for the too fat too thin debate in my opinion. If you don't like looking a certain way then don't, but no one else has to conform to anyone else's standards. People can like or not like what they want. I think she is really sexy. Other's might not. It is her body, her choice and her business. She has just as much a right to be representing swim suits, lingerie or fashion as anyone else. If you don't like it too bad. I am not going around telling every person that looked like they just walked out of a concentration camp to put on a few pounds because it is not my business and they have just as much right to be happy with the way they look as anyone else. So pardon the expression but maybe the people weighing in on other people's weight should butt out of it . Let people enjoy the skin they are in and maybe we should all consider to stop pushing our standards on to other people.
But, its not just her business. Its actually all of our business. Why should we stop warning people of the dangers and cost of obesity? Especially if so many of us want to be taken care of by the Government (i.e., taxpayers)?

Maybe you should have a look at The Healthcare Costs of Obesity... Obesity is one of the biggest drivers of preventable chronic diseases and healthcare costs in the United States. Currently, estimates for these costs range from $147 billion to nearly $210 billion per year. In addition, obesity is associated with job absenteeism, costing approximately $4.3 billion annually and with lower productivity while at work, costing employers $506 per obese worker per year..

There's more.

Obesity Is Hurting the U.S. Economy in Surprising Ways... unpublished research shows medical expenses linked to being extremely overweight have skyrocketed. Experts say the damage is augmented by reduced productivity, wider gender and income inequality and even higher transportation costs... Widespread obesity raised medical-care costs by $315.8 billion in 2010... That amounted to about $3,508 a year for each obese person...

And more.

The direct and additional hidden costs of obesity are stifling businesses and organizations that stimulate jobs and growth in U.S. cities. In the 10 cities with the highest obesity rates, the direct costs connected with obesity and obesity-related diseases are roughly $50 million per 100,000 residents. If these 10 cities cut their obesity rates down to the national average, the combined savings to their communities would be $500 million in health care costs each year. In addition to growing health care costs attributed to obesity, the nation will incur higher costs for disability and unemployment benefits. Businesses are suffering due to obesity-related job absenteeism ($4.3 billion annually). These costs also will continue to rise.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 03-02-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 03:53 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Plus 1 to that. Honestly the costs that we are all forced to pay are reason enough to rant against "acceptance" of an overweight culture.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
You are still going to have to prove that AG and women like her are the ones that are driving up healthcare costs and that her being on the SI cover is going cause an increase in obesity. (They aren't and it won't )

To start with none of you have proven that she is, indeed, obese (She isn't)

It is a fallacious argument and a silly link battle when all society is really taxed with doing is enjoy the picture of the pretty lady or don't and just turn the page.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Since fat has become so desirable, I suspect those critical of Tiegs are fat.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Since when is it rude to call a spade a spade? Size 14 = overweight, and overweight = unhealthy. Therefore, Size 14 = unhealthy.
The simple fact us that a 6' woman who is a size 14 is probably not fat, and a 5'1" woman who is a size 8 might be overweight. Whether someone is overweight or not has much to do with weight vs. height. Also a 5'6" woman who is a size 14 might be in better health and physical condition than a 5'6" woman who is a size 4 because there is much more to being healthy than just not being overweight.

I have said this before in other threads, but I think that if anyone can climb three flights of stairs without pausing or getting out of breath, if her blood pressure is low, and most importantly, if her doctor says she is healthy, then she is almost certainly healthy, no matter what the scale says.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:06 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You are still going to have to prove that AG and women like her are the ones that are driving up healthcare costs...
Fairly sure that it is already established that obesity raises costs.

Quote:
...and that her being on the SI cover is going cause an increase in obesity.
Do you believe instead that celebrating fat people will discourage and reduce obesity rates?

Quote:
To start with none of you have proven that she is, indeed, obese...
Of course she is obese.

Moderator cut: image removed

Quote:
It is a fallacious argument and a silly link battle when all society is really taxed with doing is enjoy the picture of the pretty lady or don't and just turn the page.
Its a proven fact that obesity costs us all billions of dollars. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Last edited by Marka; 03-05-2016 at 12:12 AM..

Old 03-02-2016, 06:15 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
Anyone who thinks that Ashley Graham is obese may want to have their eyes checked out. She's a little overweight but certainly not obese.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:22 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
But, its not just her business. Its actually all of our business. Why should we stop warning people of the dangers and cost of obesity? Especially if so many of us want to be taken care of by the Government (i.e., taxpayers)?

Maybe you should have a look at The Healthcare Costs of Obesity... Obesity is one of the biggest drivers of preventable chronic diseases and healthcare costs in the United States. Currently, estimates for these costs range from $147 billion to nearly $210 billion per year. In addition, obesity is associated with job absenteeism, costing approximately $4.3 billion annually and with lower productivity while at work, costing employers $506 per obese worker per year..

There's more.

Obesity Is Hurting the U.S. Economy in Surprising Ways... unpublished research shows medical expenses linked to being extremely overweight have skyrocketed. Experts say the damage is augmented by reduced productivity, wider gender and income inequality and even higher transportation costs... Widespread obesity raised medical-care costs by $315.8 billion in 2010... That amounted to about $3,508 a year for each obese person...

And more.

The direct and additional hidden costs of obesity are stifling businesses and organizations that stimulate jobs and growth in U.S. cities. In the 10 cities with the highest obesity rates, the direct costs connected with obesity and obesity-related diseases are roughly $50 million per 100,000 residents. If these 10 cities cut their obesity rates down to the national average, the combined savings to their communities would be $500 million in health care costs each year. In addition to growing health care costs attributed to obesity, the nation will incur higher costs for disability and unemployment benefits. Businesses are suffering due to obesity-related job absenteeism ($4.3 billion annually). These costs also will continue to rise.

As you do your rant on warning about the risks of obestity. You might want to stop and look at the less focused on research relating to the cost of mental health issues on health care systems. So contiually shutting down people that what to advocate for body weight acceptance you are also cost the health care and the health and well be of society as a whole. How much money is spent on BS in North American regardless on nonsensical things. Anyone viewing it from the perspective? I am not sure if you are American or not, but I find it funny how some people want to take away people's right to choose how they look or eat, but they still want to have the right to hold a gun and shot someone. The world is an amazing place lol. Choose you battles and values. You have one life... make choices for yourself. I am not advocating that obesity is a great choice, but I am advocating that there is no one size fits all on this issue. I have actually attended health care seminars actually conveying this verbalized war on obesity is actually not helpful. You want to empower people to make more heath concious choices. That does not mean they are going to look like a fitness model. This also does not mean a fitness model is more healthy. Health is a complex thing. Each person's situation is different. You suggest stay trim ... other are more like where's the beef. No one person gets to call the shots in a democrtatic society ! Also got to admit she designs some really great lingere .

Old 03-02-2016, 07:44 PM

387 posts, read 555,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I don't think Cheryl Tiegs is the epitome of "healthy" standards though. Her teeth are terrible, which is sometimes a sign of bulimia and repeated vomiting. Also, the models waist is not over 35 inches. She's the same size as the average woman in the USA. She's not obese at all.

(We all know that Cheryl gave a backhanded compliment when she said the model has a gorgeous "face".

She's welcome to her opinion, but if she got backlash for it when she said it publicly. If she can't take it, then don't dish it out.
Um...68.6% of Americans are overweight or obese. In fact over a third of Americans are obese. So, in fact, even if she is the same size as an average woman in the USA, she is certainly overweight then, and likely obese.

Everyone here seems to be advocating physical looks being the most important thing rather than physical health effects of obesity. As a primary care provider I think no one should be made to feel bad about being overweight/obese. We should be sensitive to that, but we also have to be honest about the repercussions of that. Increased BMI (and I can tell you looking at Ms. Graham, because I do this all day long, that she is in the overweight/obesity category), you have increased risk of multiple cancers, high blood pressure, heart attack, and heart failure among the well known diabetes and cholesterol problems. One thing people don't talk about is the knee problems and joint issues which I rarely see anyone escaping, even the healthy "athletes" everyone trumps as having high BMIs but being physically ok.

Look, heart disease is and has been for years now the number one killer of Americans - above cancer. It is directly linked with weight. People need to wake up, because they are dying - a LOT of them. Pretending that you can be overweight/obese and be healthy means more and more of your family and friends die before they have to every day. It is truly a tragedy. A needless tragedy.

Last edited by Senah; 03-02-2016 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness