Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,269 times

Advertisements

I want to share part of my home fitness project with all of you, I am trying to make the exercise experience more appealing by upgrading, expanding and enhancing my equipment in functionality and appearance and I started with some of my weights and I have made a little progress so far but it takes time. The problem I have encountered is that the paint peels quite bit so I will do some research on heavier duty paint and see where it goes from there. I like colorful things and so I use different colors to make my exercise environment more inviting and appealing to me. I will post more pictures as the project progresses.
[url=http://s990.photobucket.com/user/orl9ndo/media/20130414_162646.jpg.html]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,226,709 times
Hey man, if it works for you then power to you! I personally prefer the look of raw cast iron/steel. I guarantee you the rattle can job you are doing will not last very long at all. Look into marine or navy surplus paint... its meant to take a beating, goes on thick but will need to be done by hand. However you won't be able to easily find vibrant colors.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 PM

I will probably paint some of the other plates in different colors in more conservative than these but bright colors make me happy and more willing to train. But this project is in the early stages so it will be a while.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:01 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,169,572 times
I painted some dumbbell plates once when I was younger. If you want it to last for any length of time, preparation is key.

Wipe down the plates with acetone. This will remove any oil, dirt and other funk. Then spray on a couple of coats of good self etching primer. This will bite into the metal and make for good paint adhesion. Let it dry between coats, then let it dry over night with the last coat. Then spray on at least three coats of color, letting it dry well between coats.

If you have the money, call around to various powder coating companies. It's much more durable and you can get it in just about any color.

Now that I think about it, I bet you could find a truck bed liner company that could apply bed liner to the plates. Not sure about their color selection though.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I painted some dumbbell plates once when I was younger. If you want it to last for any length of time, preparation is key.

Wipe down the plates with acetone. This will remove any oil, dirt and other funk. Then spray on a couple of coats of good self etching primer. This will bite into the metal and make for good paint adhesion. Let it dry between coats, then let it dry over night with the last coat. Then spray on at least three coats of color, letting it dry well between coats.

If you have the money, call around to various powder coating companies. It's much more durable and you can get it in just about any color.

Now that I think about it, I bet you could find a truck bed liner company that could apply bed liner to the plates. Not sure about their color selection though.
I prepped and used up some old cheap primer then used some cheap all-weather outdoor BBQ heavy duty rust resistant paint and when and put and few coats and then when they get worn to the point it just Retouch up the ones the get the most use and wear by me.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,165 times
I don't think you will be able to avoid paint chipping on barbell plates, since they will be banging into each other.

However, if I were painting using colors, I would paint all plates of the same weight using a single color.

So all 10lb plates would be blue.

All 25lb plates would be red.

Etc.

That way you can quickly tell how much weight you have on the bar.

And it will make it easier for you to locate specific sized plates when you need them.

And it will become especially important when you want to make certain you have the same amount of weight on both ends of the bar, since the plate colors on each end would look identical.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM

295 posts, read 338,147 times
I would do all the prep with the acetone and a little sanding withe some fine sand paper or even some brillo pad material but then i would not paint the outside rim or the inside rim since these are the areas that are going to be rubbing other plates and hitting the ground etc. You will never keep the paint on there. So I would mask around the areas you don't want paint with masking tape and paint just the inside indented part. What do you think?

Old 04-23-2013, 03:34 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I don't think you will be able to avoid paint chipping on barbell plates, since they will be banging into each other.

However, if I were painting using colors, I would paint all plates of the same weight using a single color.

So all 10lb plates would be blue.

All 25lb plates would be red.

Etc.

That way you can quickly tell how much weight you have on the bar.

And it will make it easier for you to locate specific sized plates when you need them.

And it will become especially important when you want to make certain you have the same amount of weight on both ends of the bar, since the plate colors on each end would look identical.
Read that some gyms paint their 2.5 & 5 pound plates pink to make sure nobody uses them.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Read that some gyms paint their 2.5 & 5 pound plates pink to make sure nobody uses them.
I'm pretty open minded about most things and I know it is not the color but the weight itself that matters but I don't know if I would go as far as painting some weigh in pink. Only time will tell but I have so much to do that it is somewhat overwhelming but I will just do what I can and keep posting pictures so everybody can see them.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Why would no one use the 2.5 and 5 pound plates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness