Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:49 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about getting back into exercising. I'm already pretty thin so it's mainly for health reasons. Back in 2014, I exercised vigorously, but I got a little too thin for my liking. I hated it. My brother immediately said it was because I wasn't eating a proper diet. I was still eating a bunch of junk food. When I exercised....I mainly did cardio and strength exercises.

So my main questions are....What foods are best for this type of thing? What are some exercises that you can recommend? I realize that everyone's bodies are different, but seeing some of other experiences my help get me started in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 04:59 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
Like I mentioned in my thread, I've heard you have to eat a lot of protein and lift weights to build muscle. Look up skinny fat.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:00 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Tone? Damn gurl, you need to eat a lot more meat and start hitting the weights hard. Lol.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:37 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Someone who is toned simply has either more muscle mass or less body fat (or both) than someone who is not. So in order to be toned, you need to build muscle and maintain low body fat. The solution seems easy enough: start lifting weights and reduce your carb intake a bit without limiting your calories.

Different strokes for different folks though. If you do this for a few weeks and don't see any progress, you may have to play with the formula a bit.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:51 PM

35 posts, read 28,079 times
Post up what a normal day of eating looks like for you?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:46 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
I don't really eat much throughout the day.

I usually eat one or two medium to large sized meals. I don't eat too many fruits and veggies. I've slowly been trying to change my diet. I've been eating oatmeal with fruit for breakfast everyday. My metabolism is pretty good as well. It took me a year to gain a few pounds back from a previous exercises craze (but I've still yet to gain my previous weight back completely.) I want to find a way to incorporate more protein and healthy foods into my diet.

Do any of you have any healthy meals you like to eat?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

I usually eat one or two medium to large sized meals. I don't eat too many fruits and veggies. I've slowly been trying to change my diet. I've been eating oatmeal with fruit for breakfast everyday. My metabolism is pretty good as well. It took me a year to gain a few pounds back from a previous exercises craze (but I've still yet to gain my previous weight back completely.) I want to find a way to incorporate more protein and healthy foods into my diet.

If you have a fast metabolism you're probably not so sensitive to carbs as most people. My metabolism is super SUPER slow so carbs are the enemy for me when losing weight. That being said, I've reduced carbs a great deal but certainly haven't eliminated them. I don't miss them all that much, and still eat pasta and such once or twice a week. But here's what has worked for me.

Generally our meals consist of a protein, a carb, and a vegetable/salad. I pretty much just eliminated or greatly reduced the carb and replaced it with more vegetables. For example: chicken with roasted veggies and rice just became more chicken with more veggies. I'm addicted to roasted vegetables.

If my wife is making spaghetti and meatballs I ask her to wilt some spinach in olive oil and garlic as a replacement for pasta on my plate. Tastes fantastic.

Chili can be somewhat carb-friendly. We make chipotle turkey chili that is frickin amazing.

Rotisserie chickens from Costco are awesome. Put on a salad or serve with roasted vegetables and Franks Red Hot.

It's not too difficult if you really dedicate yourself to it. Honestly that was a really easy transition for me and I didn't think it would be. You can do it too!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:49 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

No, all healthy meals taste like cardboard. Oh come on, you walked right into that one...

I like eggs, bacon, chicken, avocado, rye bread, tuna, salmon, and arugula, to name a few things you can throw together.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,818,034 times
Every women loves to say "toned"

It just means lower your body fat %. Eat less, burn calories. You don't even have to do both at the same time.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:45 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Every women loves to say "toned"

It just means lower your body fat %. Eat less, burn calories. You don't even have to do both at the same time.
I am a woman and I do not say, 'toned'. Watch those stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness