Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 AM

121 posts, read 315,586 times

Advertisements

My mom has been doing Jazzercize for about the last 6 months I'd say and she seems to have a total body makeover! She looks awesome. I was wondering if anyone else does this and is it mostly for older people? For some reason I just get that impression? Is it fun for the younger crowd too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
I think Jazzercise has gone the same way as the 8-track tape or Betamax player. Its rare to find it being offered anywhere nowadays with the popularity of pilates, cardio kickboxing, yoga, etc. I used to work for a company where one day per week there would be Jazzercise. The only people who attended where those in their late 50s and 60s.

If it works, Great!! But now there are just so many other options available that sound more interesting to todays folks than "Jazzercise".

Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
There are a number of Jazzercise centers in our metro area. Another one just opened this last fall and I don't think I have seen any close. I know several ladies (not old) that do it and I know one that babysits at her center in exchange for class (so with babies there another sign that its not old folks).

Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,804 times
Jazzercise is not just for older folks. At the center I attend, there are multiple classes throughout the day. The ages are from teenagers to retired people. It is the only exercise I have ever done that I don't get bored with. The routines change all the time. Give it a try!

Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I think Jazzercise has gone the same way as the 8-track tape or Betamax player. Its rare to find it being offered anywhere nowadays with the popularity of pilates, cardio kickboxing, yoga, etc. I used to work for a company where one day per week there would be Jazzercise. The only people who attended where those in their late 50s and 60s.

If it works, Great!! But now there are just so many other options available that sound more interesting to todays folks than "Jazzercise".
Jazzercise actually incorporates pilates, kickboxing and yoga as well as weight training. It has not gone the way of the 8 track tape!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:34 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I went to Jazzercise today and I loved it. I enjoyed the combination of cardio, strength training, and stretching because I don't like to put together the entire routine myself. The music was modern and fun.

Jazzercise Lite tends to attract older participants who want a more gentle workout and regular Jazzercise attracts a broader range of ages.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
I see a lot of Jazzercise locations in the Houston, TX area and I am dying to try a class!! I too thought it was a product of the 70's - 80's but I guess not! Yea!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Well Ive got to tell you that I have not seen anyplace here in Los Angeles that offer Jazzercise. Pilates and Yoga are the preferred method of exercise for the older crowd. 24hr Fitness, Ballys, Golds, LA Fitness and Equinox do not offer Jazzercise. I stand by my earlier post that it is a relic of old timey work out methods.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Well Ive got to tell you that I have not seen anyplace here in Los Angeles that offer Jazzercise. Pilates and Yoga are the preferred method of exercise for the older crowd. 24hr Fitness, Ballys, Golds, LA Fitness and Equinox do not offer Jazzercise. I stand by my earlier post that it is a relic of old timey work out methods.
You had me curious since they keep growing in our area and I see them as I travel. I know they are a franchise, so checked them out on Entrepeneur Magazine which does an annual rating of all franchises based on their concept, their growth rate, and their established store performance.

Quote:
Entrepreneur Magazine Ranks Jazzercise in 2008 "Franchise 500"
Entrepreneur Magazine’s Annual Franchise 500 list touted as the “best and most comprehensive rating of franchises in the world” is out. Jazzercise ranks again in the following categories for the 2008 list: Franchise 500 – #44; Fastest-Growing Franchises – #14; Top Homebased Franchises – #8; Top Low-Cost Franchises – #11; and America’s Top Global Franchises – #39

Last edited by Dave1215; 05-28-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 07:53 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
I couldn't believe this was true so I went to the Jazzercise Web site and put in a LA zip code. There are 34 locations in the Los Angeles metro area that offer Jazzercise.

Jazzercise is a business. They compete with the fitness clubs for clients so it makes sense that usually the two don't partner and offer Jazzercise classes at some other fitness company's location. The classes are usually held in community or recreation centers, churches, schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness