Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:34 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
One thing that has become crystal clear over the years from my experience with various gyms is that there are a number of men who just can't stop showering at the gym. They shower far more often than they bench press on a Monday evening chest day. So can someone please explain why these men are addicted to showering at the gym?

I am not talking about people who work out at 5:30/6:00 a.m. and need to shower at the gym to get to work on time not being smelly. That I get. But what's up with all the people showering seemingly on a daily basis at all other times of the day, evening and night? Why don't they just do this at home? I have been a member at diverse gyms over the years, some expensive, some reasonably priced - one thing they usually have in common is a small locker room. It's just usually not comfortable taking a shower and getting ready in a small space, so if you have a choice why are you always and i mean always showering at the gym? I just want to pop my keys and wallet in my locker and not have to see what I just don't want to see.

Is it a cheapo thing? They want to save money on the soap and water and want to use the free stuff at the gym? Is it a repressed homosexual exhibitionist thing? You know, the outwardly homophobic types that are actually gay themselves?

Not having ever been in a women's lockerroom, I gotta ask is there the same phenonenom with the ladies?
Why does it bother you that men shower at the gym? If a gym has shower facilities, what's wrong with using those facilities? And obviously, if guys are showering at the gym, they will inevitably be naked both immediately prior and immediately after showering. One has to disrobe before showering, then dress after showering. So there will be a block of time when a guy will be naked.

What is troubling about any of this? And many gyms have pools and saunas and jacuzzis, and it is required that a gym member shower before using any of these wet facilities, especially if a member works out prior to using the pool or sauna or jacuzzi.

I shower frequently at the gym because it is convenient and I don't want to change back into my street clothes while I'm all sweaty from my workout.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:35 AM

274 posts, read 252,612 times
I shower after working out because it feels good to be clean.

I was in the military, I don't mind showering around other men.

I don't care if a "homo" is checking me out, as long as he keeps his hands to himself. He can go home and rub one out thinking of me, I still don't care; it's not my problem.

Still, I do my business and GTFO of the locker room. And yes, I have seen those "hangarounds", who spread out their towel on a bench and just sit there in a cloud of talcum powder with their n**s flapping in the breeze. Weird, yes, but again: Not My Problem.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:36 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,703 times
One of the sillier threads and pet peeves but, too each their own.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:39 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,316,182 times
Quote:
Surely, they would not object to a little more exercise in the form of cycling home to their private showers?
Cycling back home may not be convenient. And don't call me Shirley!😂

Old 07-26-2016, 11:39 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,935 times
I always shower at the gym after workout or yoga, even at night. I like to get the sweat off my body and it is relaxing, why get in the car and drive home to shower if its right there.

Another thing to consider is you have kids (or others in the house with you) you may not be able to get through a shower without being bothered about taking too long, using all the hot water, wasting electric/water etc. Our first house had one bathroom and a small water heater, someone would always interrupt and if 4 people took showers the hot water would run out.

Most men who played team sports or were in the military are not afraid of being naked in front of other men. I really don't care if people see me naked but I don't traipse around the locker room naked

Some of the men who don't like being naked in front of other dudes are homophobic, others have poor body images or feel they do not compare. The other men, even the gay ones, probably are NOT checking you out. Gay men could go to bathouses and see all kinds of naked men an hook up if that is what they wanted

Americans are a prudish compared to Europe, my parents went to a spa resort in Germany, the spas were coed and most everyone was naked, no one really cared.

With all this being said, there are some creepers in the lockers, usually old men who are naked clipping nails and conversating. One guy used to use blow dryer on his pubic hair right in the middle of the room. One morning I went to the gym feeling like crap, all i wanted was to sit in the warn sauna, the resident creeper old man was in there naked clipping finger nails. He would seem to be in lockers longer than working out, I called him Mr. Herbert after the pedophile old gay man on "Family Guy"

Showering or grooming at the gym is not inherently creepy, but some guys are just creepy. I take it on a case by case basis.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
One thing that has become crystal clear over the years from my experience with various gyms is that there are a number of men who just can't stop showering at the gym. They shower far more often than they bench press on a Monday evening chest day. So can someone please explain why these men are addicted to showering at the gym?

I am not talking about people who work out at 5:30/6:00 a.m. and need to shower at the gym to get to work on time not being smelly. That I get. But what's up with all the people showering seemingly on a daily basis at all other times of the day, evening and night? Why don't they just do this at home? I have been a member at diverse gyms over the years, some expensive, some reasonably priced - one thing they usually have in common is a small locker room. It's just usually not comfortable taking a shower and getting ready in a small space, so if you have a choice why are you always and i mean always showering at the gym? I just want to pop my keys and wallet in my locker and not have to see what I just don't want to see.

Is it a cheapo thing? They want to save money on the soap and water and want to use the free stuff at the gym? Is it a repressed homosexual exhibitionist thing? You know, the outwardly homophobic types that are actually gay themselves?

Not having ever been in a women's lockerroom, I gotta ask is there the same phenonenom with the ladies?
After reading through this entire thread, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Many people prefer to take a shower after they workout. I will typically not shower at the gym unless I'm dripping wet from running on the treadmill, and/or I'm going to work or have something else planned. I don't like to have to pack a change of clothes if I don't have to.

There is another explanation for the older men in the locker room. I found that some of these men only go to the gym to use the steam bath or sauna. They actually do not do any type of exercise. I was assuming that men I saw in the locker room were swimmers since I never saw them using the rest of the facility. Many are retired and go to the gym to use the sauna/steam, and then shower, shave brush their teeth, etc. I started wondering when I would see guys shaving and brushing their teeth in the middle of the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Not a normal observation/question. I read all of the follow four or five comments and each has merit. I go to the gym at least three times a week. I am just the opposite of those men you have had noticed at your gym, I don't like to step foot in the locker room/restroom if I can at all help it. Looking at benches and chairs in locker rooms and knowing what has been perched upon them gives me the willys. Showering in front of men makes me uneasy. I don't like to think what is growing in the usually underlit tile of the damp shower floor. I don't like to use simple public men's rooms. There is something of a serenity factor in one's home restroom. My feelings on all of these things might be different if I were in the military, but I wasn't. But in answer to your question: I do not know. I guess that actually isn't an answer, is it?
You sound like the kind of guy that 2nd trick op is describing. You're obviously younger. Wait until you get to your 50s or 60s and develop an enlarged prostate (BPH). You'll become very familiar with every public restroom in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I wonder if it's a generational thing. I'm 63 and for as long as I've been going to gyms changing and taking a shower is nothing to me or the other men around my age. Younger guys don't seem to do it as much.
I agree. I'm 61 and we did not have a choice about taking a shower after gym class. If your hair wasn't wet, you got paddled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
OP would have hated some of the gyms that existed back in the day where men did some of the exercising naked. And no, these weren't just for gay men. The conventional wisdom was that "we're all dudes, we've all seen it before, and it's easier to swim naked, etc."
I think you're confusing "gyms that existed back in the day," with the ancient Greeks and Romans. Other than swimming naked, there weren't gyms where men exercised naked in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The high school in my old town used to do this! I was appalled. I cannot imagine being in high school and expecting to swim nude!!!
Guys used to swim naked in HS swimming class in my town, girls did not. The high school became the junior high around 1960 and more guys started wearing swimsuits in the 60s. The swimming teacher would tell us each year that swimsuits were optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
In an "open" shower, I can step out of the spray to lather up or wash my hair; not possible in a cramped shower stall.

I grew up in an era when open showers were the rule in high schools, dormitories and fraternity houses; there were always a few in just about any group who were likely, if not openly gay, but no one paid that much attention to it.

The uproar over group showers has been around for about twenty years now, and I have to attribute it to the influence of the single-parent, female-headed households in which too many of our young men are growing up. We are raising too many of our boys to think like girls -- viewing their physical selves as wasting assets or, worse yet, bargaining chips, rather than as a gift from God/nature to be respected, protected and preserved as much as possible.
I agree. I always remember showering after gym class, and sports practices and games. Showers in high schools locker rooms are rarely used today.

I think you may be correct about the single-parent, female-headed households theory. I can think of no other logical explanation.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,550 times
[quote=villageidiot1;44901786]After reading through this entire thread, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Many people prefer to take a shower after they workout. I will typically not shower at the gym unless I'm dripping wet from running on the treadmill, and/or I'm going to work or have something else planned. I don't like to have to pack a change of clothes if I don't have to.

There is another explanation for the older men in the locker room. I found that some of these men only go to the gym to use the steam bath or sauna. They actually do not do any type of exercise. I was assuming that men I saw in the locker room were swimmers since I never saw them using the rest of the facility. Many are retired and go to the gym to use the sauna/steam, and then shower, shave brush their teeth, etc. I started wondering when I would see guys shaving and brushing their teeth in the middle of the afternoon.

You [Galileo Smith] sound like the kind of guy that 2nd trick op is describing. You're obviously younger. Wait until you get to your 50s or 60s and develop an enlarged prostate (BPH). You'll become very familiar with every public restroom in your area.

I'm 65 years old and have a prostrate the size of a Christmas ham. But I've never liked being around places that features naked men, or public rooms dedicated to the elimination of human waste. I cannot always avoid using these places, but that is what I try to do as much as possible.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Also, being sweaty is totally different than being stinky. I am a clean person who eats clean food. I dont stink. I never stink, even after super intense workouts. I may be sweaty, but never stinky, so I dont need to shower immediately after.
If you've been sweating, you smell. You just don't smell it. Many people don't smell themselves. Meanwhile others around you can smell you.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Who even thinks about stupid things like this? I've never even considered why an exercising stranger (supposedly) showers more than me, much less started a thread on it.
The OP is the Shower Police.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Yes, finally, I am getting some answers! Thank you for your candor! It seems that those with obsessive compulsive disorder do not wish to expose their seats to their sweaty bottoms! So instead they expose their sweaty bottoms to the rest of us?

Perhaps I could impose upon you to (preferably) cover your pretty car seats with a towel, or at least (in the alternative) cover your sweaty bottoms with a towel to and fro the gym shower? If your gluteus maximus is more wrinkly than my linen pants, especially I beg of you to please shower at home. Then again, I don't want to see iron(ed) male glutes either. Please sign the petition to ban all gym showering.
I don't care if you want to see me naked or not. You are missing out though.

I just want to shower and not be inconvenienced by having to put towels all over my car or having to go straight home instaed of going to work or shopping.

So as long as there are showers at the gym, I will be showering.

If you dont' want to see your naked body yourself (previous post from you) don't make this an issue for everybody else.

I like seing my body btw and I don't care if others are old, wrinkly or flabby in the shower also. I look away when they bend over. No big deal.

I don't have OCD. After reading all your posts I feel way more mentally healthy than you are.

Nudity is normal. Being obessed over other peoples bodies is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.