Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Hmm, it says I need 1629 at resting metabolic rate and can eat up to 2050 cals to still loose weight. That seems like a lot.
I've been eating about 1550 - 1650 per day for the past week or so - is that too few then?

It says I need to eat 2400 calories per day to maintain my current weight. I am almost sure that I was not eating that many calories in the first place?

I did the calculator for my husband (who only wants to lose 15lbs) and it says he needs to eat 3300 calories to maintain his current weight!!! How can that be right, 3300 cals is a LOT of food, and he eats most of the same things I do - only more.

Any thoughts??
That does seem really high. I thought you and I were about the same size, but maybe not. I put my activity level as "moderately active". I run about 4 times a week (35 - 45 min each time), and the other days are just weights only no cardio. It tells me that I need to eat at least 1444 calories at resting metabolic rate, 1666 to lose weight, and 2166 to maintain weight.

I have pretty much been keeping my daily calorie intake at 1400 to 1700 lately. I was keeping it at 1500 - 1800 before, but I have lost weight and needed to adjust the range. It has been working for me, and so I thought it would for others too but apparently it does not. I know that when I was only eating about 1200 calories per day, my body seemed to hang on to the weight. As soon as I bumped it up by 300-400 calories, the weight started coming off very consistently.

I hope you find a nutrition plan that works for you. I have noticed that a lot of healthy foods and fats like olive oil and nuts are pretty high in calories, but very good for you. Even healthy carbs like brown rice and oatmeal have a good chunk of calories in them. Sometimes you don't realize how much you are eating until you start counting out everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,692 times
Don't do what I did tonight and eat a bag of popcorn!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
How does one eat 5-6 meals a day when one is at work?
You get one half hour for lunch.
So you eat breakfast in the morning, lunch, then dinner when you get home.
No company is going to let you have meals during work time.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,834 times
Try my favorite diet, the Blood Type diet.

The Blood Type Diet :: Peter D'Adamo

It sounds like you are exercising a lot. That is good. You may need to eliminate certain foods. You may not need to lower your calories that much. 1500-2000 should be fine. Maybe a little less if you want to be a "serious" dieter. I believe Blood Type & Genotype are the best diet approaches on the market. I was mildly chunky in junior high and off and on throughout highschool and college thanks to wheat and dairy. Today, after many years of dieting and 2 years seriously on the BTD at 37 I have successfully kept my weight at a fairly low end of what I should weigh and am told I look very young for my age.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:43 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,089 times
Ugh - I am having a tough time getting motivated to exercise today.

I made the silly mistake of weighing myself and have gained half a pound. WHY? I know I shouldn't be demoralized over half a pound, but I have worked so hard this week. I don't get it.
I don't feel like I want to stuff my face full of donughts or anything (having said that....), but I don't feel like sweating for over an hour in order to GAIN weight.

Sucks. I'll do it though. I'm one workout away from being done for the week and then I can start fresh on Monday.

Sigh.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:25 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,725 times
Hi- Don't forget its not just how many calories you eat but WHAT you eat that's important.
I think its very possible to eat 5-6 mini meals at work. I used to work in an office and bring mini meals and eat while I was at my desk every 3 hours. Others did too, so I don't think that should be a huge problem. Just tell them that you are hypoglycemic and need to put food in your body every 3-4 hours or you will get low blood sugar and pass out. They won't give you any trouble, no company wants a workmen's comp case on their hands.
I do think that calculator is too high. But don't forget its what you eat that is the real priority. Throw everything processed out and eat a combination of healthy carbs with protein at every mini meal. This way you won't get too hungry ever and overindulge.
Lifting weights is vital if you want to change your body. Even if you have no gym, go spend $30 on a dvd and 1 or 2 sets of light weights and do it at home for now.
Where there's a will there's always a way and good luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:34 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
How does one eat 5-6 meals a day when one is at work?

No company is going to let you have meals during work time.
My job does. I'm sure others do too.
the 2 snack/meals in between can be left in the fridge and eaten during your 10/15 min break. Snack could be an apple and non-fat string cheese at one break, and then celery with peanut butter and a yogurt of fat-free goldfish crackers made from whole wheat.
It works...I lost 25lbs eating this way, and working out religiously.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 AM

335 posts, read 1,533,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Throw the whole calorie thing out of the window.

Concentrate on 6 evenly spread meals a day. You want a strong concentration on protein, don't forget some carbs, greens, and fruit.
I agree. Forget the calorie counting.

I've been single all my long life, so I never learned to eat proper meals.

Normally, I snack throughout the day and eat when I'm hungry. I'll have cheese and crackers, some soup, an apple, grapefruit, salad, raw carrots throughout the day.

Occasionally, I'll splurge on a large meal. I'll go out and indulge on a few slices of pizza (heaven!), but then I won't eat another big meal for a while.

# # #

Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 15,244 times
I don't know if you're still dieting but you sound just like me, its so frustrating that it doesnt just fall off you. Im only 26 and 5' 1 and a half tall. i exercise 5 times a week on average, including mainly cv and ive just started doing weights and i dont feel half as skinny as i should be. I am a vegetarian so sometimes wonder if im missing something from my diet but eat very healthily. my only down fall like you is snacking and sweets. Im trying the 1200 cals a day and wondered if its too low? i feel okay so far, but wonder if im eating enough. I did do weight watchers before and lost weight and felt really skinny and nice and actually seemed to eat loads, including snacks but i seem to have got out of the momentum of that. I weigh about 9 stone i think, although i dont often weigh myself i go by my clothes instead but i have noticed things feeling tighter and it really gets me down.

i am about a size 8 on top and 10 on bottom, thats my bugbear hips, thighs and tummy, help???

Old 06-15-2008, 03:12 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Ugh - I am having a tough time getting motivated to exercise today.

I made the silly mistake of weighing myself and have gained half a pound. WHY? I know I shouldn't be demoralized over half a pound, but I have worked so hard this week. I don't get it.
Go to the bathroom and the half pound will go away. Unless you consistently weigh in with the extra half pound, this one reading is absolutely meaningless.

Quote:
I don't feel like I want to stuff my face full of donughts or anything (having said that....), but I don't feel like sweating for over an hour in order to GAIN weight.
Visit the HIIT thread. If you're jogging and not losing fat, you're a dime a dozen. Cardio is a really crappy way to lose fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness