Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:14 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,947 times

Advertisements

lelz at all the guys here recommending strength training to women as a means to lose weight. The argument here basically is that lifting weights burns extra calories and that the additional muscle mass will increase metabolism or some nonsense.

Ok, for starters the myth about extra muscle burning more calories isn't even that true. Even a male who works out for years and build muscle won't be able to eat more than perhaps 700-800 calories more than he did years prior AT MOST (just lol at all the fat dudes eating 4000+ calories a day thinking their lard is muscle). Secondly, women can't even put on anywhere near as much muscle as men can so even after years of lifting whatever muscle they will build would probably burn no more than perhaps a few hundred extra calories a day (wow, a whole donut!). But thirdly and most importantly, you need to eat at a caloric surplus to gain strength and muscle, and this isn't possible to do without putting on fat.

Even men who bulk only very slowly (which imo is the only correct way to do it) will still put on fat, and as they gain more and more muscle the amount of fat they put on grows as well. It's not possible to maximize strength gains and still be lean. Bulking slowly will REDUCE the amount of fat they will put on, but it's not possible to avoid putting on fat except only at the very beginning when your body is so out of shape that doing almost anything will put on at least some muscle and burn at least some fat. For men this isn't that big of a deal assuming they are smart about their weight gain (which 90% of them aren't), but that is because they have and can put on considerably greater amounts of muscle than women can. And on top of that, women also don't gain strength at anywhere near the same pace. That means women will have to eat more to fuel more strength gain but without actually gaining that much muscle. And what happens, is that they get fat.

I have seen this many times in the gym I use to go to (I work out at home now). Every single woman I saw that was lifting anything heavier than the small dumbbells was either fat or in the process of getting fat.

I can already imagine what the typical counter-arguments are going to look like: "Hurr dur you don't have to put on fat to get stronger just don't eat too much". No, this isn't how your body works. Strength gains have to be fueled with more calories, and with more calories comes more fat. This is true even for men, and for women it's even worse because they have to eat more to fuel strength gains while still producing less muscle.

No lean woman who isn't abusing steroids is going to be lifting any respectable amount of weight. This makes the whole plan of lifting to lose weight a completely laughable plan for women, because in order to get the calorie burning muscle mass (which won't even burn that many calories anyway) they would have to get fat anyway. In fact, I would argue that this entire idea is actually just kinda dumb for everybody.

Just lol at women who actually do this thinking it's the secret to leanness. Just lol.

EDIT: Some of the posters are saying I am mocking women who want to improve themselves. This is untrue. I am making fun of the people who call for this exact method of weight loss and am pointing out that it makes no sense.

Last edited by hakkarin; 12-07-2016 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
lelz at all the guys here recommending strength training to women as a means to lose weight. The argument here basically is that lifting weights burns extra calories and that the additional muscle mass will increase metabolism or some nonsense. .
Before I or anyone else address the nonsense you just posted, please provide us links to posts on this forum making those recommendations for those reasons.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
lelz at all the guys here recommending strength training to women as a means to lose weight. The argument here basically is that lifting weights burns extra calories and that the additional muscle mass will increase metabolism or some nonsense.
Who are "all these guys here recommending strength training to women as a means to lose weight?"

For sure, more cells on the body burn more calories than fewer muscle cells in the body, but I'd like to see links to threads where strength training is specifically recommended to lose weight without calorie control being specified as the primary means.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:33 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:

Ok, for starters the myth about extra muscle burning more calories isn't even that true. Even a male who works out for years and build muscle won't be able to eat more than perhaps 700-800 calories more than he did years prior AT MOST (just lol at all the fat dudes eating 4000+ calories a day thinking their lard is muscle). Secondly, women can't even put on anywhere near as much muscle as men can so even after years of lifting whatever muscle they will build would probably burn no more than perhaps a few hundred extra calories a day (wow, a whole donut!). But thirdly and most importantly, you need to eat at a caloric surplus to gain strength and muscle, and this isn't possible to do without putting on fat.

Even men who bulk only very slowly (which imo is the only correct way to do it) will still put on fat, and as they gain more and more muscle the amount of fat they put on grows as well. It's not possible to maximize strength gains and still be lean. Bulking slowly will REDUCE the amount of fat they will put on, but it's not possible to avoid putting on fat except only at the very beginning when your body is so out of shape that doing almost anything will put on at least some muscle and burn at least some fat. For men this isn't that big of a deal assuming they are smart about their weight gain (which 90% of them aren't), but that is because they have and can put on considerably greater amounts of muscle than women can. And on top of that, women also don't gain strength at anywhere near the same pace. That means women will have to eat more to fuel more strength gain but without actually gaining that much muscle. And what happens, is that they get fat.

I have seen this many times in the gym I use to go to (I work out at home now). Every single woman I saw that was lifting anything heavier than the small dumbbells was either fat or in the process of getting fat.

I can already imagine what the typical counter-arguments are going to look like: "Hurr dur you don't have to put on fat to get stronger just don't eat too much". No, this isn't how your body works. Strength gains have to be fueled with more calories, and with more calories comes more fat. This is true even for men, and for women it's even worse because they have to eat more to fuel strength gains while still producing less muscle.

No lean woman who isn't abusing steroids is going to be lifting any respectable amount of weight. This makes the whole plan of lifting to lose weight a completely laughable plan for women, because in order to get the calorie burning muscle mass (which won't even burn that many calories anyway) they would have to get fat anyway. In fact, I would argue that this entire idea is actually just kinda dumb for everybody.

Just lol at women who actually do this thinking it's the secret to leanness. Just lol.
So you're telling people to laugh out loud at women who are trying to improve themselves. Really?

https://www.verywell.com/how-many-ca...y-burn-1231074

How Many Calories Does Muscle Really Burn?

Whether you believe muscle burns 6 calories or 60 doesn't change the fact that strength training is incredibly important for losing fat and keeping your body strong and healthy. Just some of the benefits include:

Increased after burn - High intensity strength training can actually help you burn extra calories for hours after your workout
Prevents loss of lean body mass that happens from dieting and/or aging
Burning calories - While strength training doesn't burn as many calories in one sitting as cardio, it does contribute to your overall calorie expenditure
Changes your body composition, which helps shape your body and keep you healthy
Strengthens bones and connective tissue along with muscles
Keeps you strong and active as you get older
Improves coordination, balance and may help prevent injuries

Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,238 times
Ban OP, IMO.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
So you're telling people to laugh out loud at women who are trying to improve themselves. Really?

How Many Calories Does Muscle Really Burn?

Whether you believe muscle burns 6 calories or 60 doesn't change the fact that strength training is incredibly important for losing fat and keeping your body strong and healthy. Just some of the benefits include:

Increased after burn - High intensity strength training can actually help you burn extra calories for hours after your workout
Prevents loss of lean body mass that happens from dieting and/or aging
Burning calories - While strength training doesn't burn as many calories in one sitting as cardio, it does contribute to your overall calorie expenditure
Changes your body composition, which helps shape your body and keep you healthy
Strengthens bones and connective tissue along with muscles
Keeps you strong and active as you get older
Improves coordination, balance and may help prevent injuries

+1. Hakkarin, even if your whole opening post wasn't a bunch of garbage, why would you make fun of people for trying to improve their health and fitness? I don't get it man.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:07 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Ban OP, IMO.
Why? Because I don't agree with lots of mainstream fitness advice (most of which is garbage) I should simply be removed form the forums? Sometimes I wonder if fitness is a ****ing cult.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Ban OP, IMO.
One can only hope.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:19 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
https://www.yahoo.com/news/constant-...151237876.html

Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
My experience has been similar, although for me weight loss/gain is driven by food consumption/constraint to a much greater extent than exercise.

I did mostly cardio for years, and it wasn't until I added strength training to my regimen that I noticed changes in my body. Arms and legs more toned, abs stronger, etc. I have no aims to be a bodybuilder or weightlifter, but the effect was undeniable. And, no, it did not cause me to gain weight - as I stated before, that is a food issue.

Btw OP, even if you are/were correct in your assertion, your disdainful tone does not exactly inspire people to take you seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness