Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:22 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,584,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It happens to people that seem fit.

Jim Fixx comes to mind, he seemed the epitome of fitness and a big part of the jogging craze that swept America in the early 80's.

He died of a massive heart attack while on a morning jog. But the thing is, Jim led a very unhealthy lifestyle before discovering running. He smoked a lot and was overweight and had history of heart disease in family. And he suffered from massive chest pains even as a runner.

Bob Harper Has a Heart Attack at the Gym | Shape Magazine
I remember when Jim Fixx died . He was 52 and died while running alone in VT. A massive heart attack. It was a shock to everyone when he died. His family was plagued with heart disease. If I remember correctly. Both his father and grandfather died before they were 40 or 50. Massive heart attacks. Family history of disease sadly impacts our health. Still you don't sit on a sofa, as a means to prevent such outcomes. You get moving and hope you can beat the odds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM

703 posts, read 615,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I remember when Jim Fixx died . He was 52 and died while running alone in VT. A massive heart attack. It was a shock to everyone when he died. His family was plagued with heart disease. If I remember correctly. Both his father and grandfather died before they were 40 or 50. Massive heart attacks. Family history of disease sadly impacts our health. Still you don't sit on a sofa, as a means to prevent such outcomes. You get moving and hope you can beat the odds.
There is no reason to think that will allow you to "beat the odds"

Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,131,865 times
A simple visit to the cardiologist will give you peace of mind. (some insurance plans allow you to visit them and get a hearth check up) I plan to do one this year and then every 5 years.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,552,256 times
Last two a Nuala exams I tell me MD that I plan on running half marathon. He tells me to hydrate. Ne did listen for murmurs.This time I asked for 12 lead ekg (former cardiac nurse here). Normal ekg, normal rhythm. But really need stress test for more peace of mind. Even a cardiac cath might help, or nuclear perfusion study, echo, but if you're low risk, and no symptoms no MD would do all of that. Lipids done annually. But other than that, and risk stratification, there's not much you're going to get.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,244,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
. A good percentage of what will happen to you, in terms of your health, has already been predetermined. While that doesn't mean you can't help yourself....to a degree, you are not going to add 20 years to your life (although being in shape can improve the quality of your life.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I think the gulf between those consumed by fitness and those who ignore all but ongoing disease/ailments is often ignored. The difference between 15 pounds and 50 pounds overweight is vast. It's funny how people use 'you only live once to validate poor decisions' but rarely good ones.

I have begun looking at fitness like retirement planning. Its better to get a handle on it before middle age because waiting til 55 leaves you no room for error. Waiting til 60 basically leaves you little room for progress.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,016,395 times
No one gets out of this deal alive, not even Bob Harper.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:18 PM

6,939 posts, read 3,984,629 times
2-time Olympic Gold Medalist pair skater Sergei Grinkov from Russia died of a heart attack at the age of 28 in Lake Placid, NY in 1995 while rehearsing for the Stars on Ice touring ice show, less than a year after winning his 2nd OGM. In his case, it may have been genetic, because his father had also died of a heart attack.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,163,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Last two a Nuala exams I tell me MD that I plan on running half marathon. He tells me to hydrate. Ne did listen for murmurs.This time I asked for 12 lead ekg (former cardiac nurse here). Normal ekg, normal rhythm. But really need stress test for more peace of mind. Even a cardiac cath might help, or nuclear perfusion study, echo, but if you're low risk, and no symptoms no MD would do all of that. Lipids done annually. But other than that, and risk stratification, there's not much you're going to get.
Cardiac catherization can CAUSE a heart attack by disturbing plaque. I know because that is what killed my biological father at 48 years old. You don't get one unless there is strong evidence that there is major plaque build up, not to get cleared for a voluntary, athletic event.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:34 PM

26,204 posts, read 21,698,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Ah there is reason to believe it's possible to improve your position in the odds game. Say with active runners their heart and arteries tend to be larger in size and could at least in theory allow for plaque buildup while still having ample blood flow

Old 03-01-2017, 02:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 12,522,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
All the evidence points to diet and exercise stacking the deck in your favor. That said, even if you know what card is coming next, doesn't mean you win EVERY time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness