Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:57 AM

572 posts, read 436,536 times

Advertisements

Am I still getting the benefits of the motion?

I know a squat is not THAT hard, however, the simplest way I can describe it is that I come down with my weight on my toes. I have my feet the slight angle apart, not very much at all, and shoulder width apart. Now, I usually DON'T do the squat "Butt out first." I simply drop, keep my back straight, and throw my hands either out or out and up for the necessary balance. I still work the midsection, even though I come down with my weight on my toes. I can do about 50 squats in secession, or in a row.

Am I overthinking this? I am a bit on the tall side, I'm working on my core and losing belly fat, even if that doesn't slim in and of itself, I am wondering if the way I am doing the exercise is still benefiting me.

I would imagine it is, because body weight is still weight..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 05:19 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,146,444 times
The proper form for doing squats dictates that you push with your heels while getting up.

Not sure how harmful is squatting on your toes with your bodyweight, but I would suggest not squatting this way if using weights.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:24 AM

572 posts, read 436,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
The proper form for doing squats dictates that you push with your heels while getting up.

Not sure how harmful is squatting on your toes with your bodyweight, but I would suggest not squatting this way if using weights.
Interesting... holding a 25lbs dumbbell actually really helped with form. I got a killer intense workout, and the added weight seemed to help.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,195,402 times
Start with a goblet squats. Use a kettlebell if you can. That will teach you the proper motion and get you comfortable with squatting.

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/how...t-goblet-squat

If you wish to move on to barbell squats, you have to decide if you want to do a low-bar squat or a high-bar squat.

Personally, I think a high-bar squat is the best alternative, but honestly, I don't think barbell squats are necessary at all unless you're aiming for maximum hypertrophy in your quads. The barbell squat is a highly technical lift.

Last edited by Jobster; 03-09-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 08:44 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Am I still getting the benefits of the motion?

I know a squat is not THAT hard, however, the simplest way I can describe it is that I come down with my weight on my toes. I have my feet the slight angle apart, not very much at all, and shoulder width apart. Now, I usually DON'T do the squat "Butt out first." I simply drop, keep my back straight, and throw my hands either out or out and up for the necessary balance. I still work the midsection, even though I come down with my weight on my toes. I can do about 50 squats in secession, or in a row.

Am I overthinking this? I am a bit on the tall side, I'm working on my core and losing belly fat, even if that doesn't slim in and of itself, I am wondering if the way I am doing the exercise is still benefiting me.

I would imagine it is, because body weight is still weight..
A body weight air squat is easy. There is very little risk even with poor technique. A barbell back squat is another beast entirely. It is a very challenging exercise, especially with heavy weight. If you barbell back squat with the weight on your toes you're going to get yourself injured.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
You seem to have a flexibility issue, your hip flexors are too tight to do a proper squat. When you lack flexibility, one symptom is to shift weight to your toes to compensate.

The added weight seemed to help because it forced your to stretch out, like someone pushing on your back to tough your toes.

I would start doing high rep (10-15) body weight or with a bar and some light weight just to get some flexibility going. Some people have said concentrating by shifting the weight to the sides of your feet helps with getting use to not going on your toes, thus forcing your movement to be correct.

I would watch some videos from some reputable sites and read some to see if their suggestions match your issues.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:18 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,693,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post

I agree with pushing or driving from your heels. You need to have your feet far enough apart and toes angled out. Find a bench or chair and put it behind you, so that you are almost sitting down on the chair or bench.

Squats are by far the best single exercise. They are the easiest and quickest way to muscle soreness, which I can currently attest.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:28 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,585,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Squats are by far the best single exercise. They are the easiest and quickest way to muscle soreness, which I can currently attest.
What about deadlifts?

Old 03-10-2017, 05:12 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,146,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Interesting... holding a 25lbs dumbbell actually really helped with form. I got a killer intense workout, and the added weight seemed to help.
How did you hold the dumbbell? Infront of your body with both hands?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:59 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
I'm not sure what the OP means by coming down with the weight on the toes, but if it means squatting down so that your knees track over your toes (so that a lot of your bodyweight is over your toes), then it could lead to injury. More so if you do this motion using a lot of weight with a barbell and plates.

I know for some people they have no problems doing this, but in my case it really messed up one of the knees in my legs and to this day I cannot go below parallel without a sharp pain in my knee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness