Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times

Advertisements

Thought this forum needs a little spicing up, and that this would be fun. I think it'd be interesting to see what people that frequent this somewhat obscure forum on CD actually do. So, post your exercise program/routine here.

You can do this anyway you want - whether it's 1) name of the exercise/lifting/bodyweight/cycling/whatever program that you use; 2) your exact routine including number of sets and reps; or 3) something as simple as "I lift 2x/week in the morning, run 3x/week and do yoga on weekends". However, if you go the third route I think that's pretty boring of you, just FYI. The more specific you are, the more fun I say.

I'll go first:

As of this week, I'm following Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 progression scheme, starting a cycle of his Boring But Big template (lifting 4x/week). My 2 non-lifting days I'm doing conditioning on the bike in the form of interval training as outlined in Paul Carter's Conditioning for Mass article on T-Nation (here). 7th day of the week is resting or an optional light, low-intensity cardio session

I'm also committing myself to doing Joe Defranco's Agile 8 for mobility every day and Defranco's upper body mobility routine before upper body workouts.

Lastly trying to do stomach vacuums every day 4x20-30 seconds. Got the idea from Chris Jones, want to see what results I can get. I might start another thread on this actually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Run 4-6 miles every other day.

Bike 10-15 miles on non-run days or kayak 3 miles on non run days or swim 30 mins worth of laps on non-run days.

Group Classes three times a week Group Power Weight Lifting, Body Weight, some cardio.

If I'm away from group class, I try to copy the class on my own using resistance band training, TRX straps, push ups, ab crunches/exercises.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:51 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
This thread is where most people post their routines......

Workout: What did you do today

Old 08-23-2017, 03:50 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Unfortunately I am not as consistent as I should be.

But I am very flexible in what I do.

I try to do at least 30-50 minutes of steady state cardio minimum 4 times per week. It's elliptical for me as it's easiest on my knees.

I also try to lift weights 4 times a week, split my body into chest one day, back other (and legs in one of those days), two times per week for each body. I don't have a set machine or exercise when I lift weights. It's always good to be flexible since you never know how crowded the gym might be.

For example, maybe some people when they work out chest, they are adamant of doing only bench press, etc. Me, I use whatever equipment is available. If benches are taken, easy, just go to the chest press machine. I'm not a "machines suck/free weights better" fanatic.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This thread is where most people post their routines......

Workout: What did you do today
Yeah but those are daily workouts, mostly filled with people saying "I took a walk today." Which has its own place too, I've posted there a couple times. This is more fun . Thought it would be cool to have a continuing thread where people post their programs, maybe post again and update when they change things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Run 4-6 miles every other day.

Bike 10-15 miles on non-run days or kayak 3 miles on non run days or swim 30 mins worth of laps on non-run days.

Group Classes three times a week Group Power Weight Lifting, Body Weight, some cardio.

If I'm away from group class, I try to copy the class on my own using resistance band training, TRX straps, push ups, ab crunches/exercises.
Sounds like you got some sick conditioning. Definitely an area I need to work on.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
I usually lift weights 3x per week and practice muay thai or boxing 2x per week. I rotate between the squat, deadlift, bench press and overhead press. So, my schedule looks something like this:

Day 1-Squat
Day 2-Bench press or Overhead Press
Day 3-Deadlift

Rinse and repeat

I create my own rep/set routine as I go along. I rarely do more than 8 reps on any of the main lifts. Every once and awhile I will max out and attempt a new PR.

I also like cycling. Usually, my rides are between 20 and 40 miles long.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:09 AM

37 posts, read 34,590 times
I lift weights 2-3 times a week (for tone, not bulk) and train UFC and Affliction the other days.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:44 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Right now run, run, run. That's what marathon training does. I just don't have time to add cross-training as at a minimum my runs last 1.25 hours which is enough for me. My shortest runs are generally 8-8.5 miles which I do 4-5 times a week. One of the runs is a tempo run, and I try for a second run to be a fartlek/intervals. Once a week the long run which is anywhere from 12 to soon to be 20 miles. Overall I average in the mid 40's for weekly mileage. Have peaked at 70.

After my Oct marathon, I am planning to back down the miles to 30+ per week, and do a round of P90X (did it before) to jump start some upper body/strength conditioning.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Unfortunately I don't really follow a program. I have a tried and true regimen that keeps me looking good and healthy, and that's about it :/ As a working mom of two, I have limited time, so my weekly routine consists of 40 minutes of cardio (elliptical/run on treadmill/stepmill), followed by 40 minutes of lifting weights. Skilled weight lifters will laugh at my "program", but I tend to stick with things I've mastered form wise (ie lat pull down, tri extension, bicep curls, hammer curls, bench press, etc.) More advanced combo moves I don't do simply because I fear that I'm doing the exercise incorrectly. People in the gym tend to stick to themselves, so they're not going to show me how to properly train. I don't do lunges, squats and stuff like that because I have pretty bad arthritis in the knees (at only 41 years of age).

Like I said, it's a simple routine but it gets the job done. When I lost the 70 lbs, I spared muscle and have noticeable definition. Ultimately, my fitness goal for next year is to start a real weightlifting program and put on some muscle. I really enjoy lifting. I'll probably have to join a better gym.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Right now run, run, run. That's what marathon training does. I just don't have time to add cross-training as at a minimum my runs last 1.25 hours which is enough for me. My shortest runs are generally 8-8.5 miles which I do 4-5 times a week. One of the runs is a tempo run, and I try for a second run to be a fartlek/intervals. Once a week the long run which is anywhere from 12 to soon to be 20 miles. Overall I average in the mid 40's for weekly mileage. Have peaked at 70.

After my Oct marathon, I am planning to back down the miles to 30+ per week, and do a round of P90X (did it before) to jump start some upper body/strength conditioning.
Have you looked into Alex Viada? I don't know how he does it but he somehow manages to compete in both powerlifting and ultra marathons. Hard to tell exactly how he does things from his articles, but he does have a book called the Hybrid Athlete for...well, hybrid athletes haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness