Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times

Advertisements

I usually get the sniffles/cold/cough. I'm wondering if it's because I sweat heavily and the gym is cold due to the heavy fans. I try to dry off with the paper towels but I'm still pretty wet. It's getting cold outside now so I don't want to risk getting sick.

Can you get pneumonia when you leave the gym all sweaty into the cold frigid weather?

What can I do to avoid getting sick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:28 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I'm pretty sure you get colds from cold germs. I'm not sure the running has anything to do with it. But you are on the right track with the "it's getting cold". Your body can't fight germs as well when you're chilled so, if you can't shower before you leave the gym, be sure to put on a warm cover-up before you step out into the cold.

I'd keep working out - how long have you been on your training program? Don't overdo but be consistent, imo. You'll get stronger and, hopefully build up more immunity to whatever's out there.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times
Have you checked the humidity level in your home? As it gets colder and you have the heat coming on the humidity can drop dramatically. If the humidity is low I will wake up and feel like I am coming down with a cold. An inexpensive humidifier that you can run for a few hours in the evening can make a big difference when you wake up in the morning.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Being hot and then going out in the cold wet or not doesn't give you the cold, flu or pneumonia

Old 10-13-2017, 12:50 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
Could be related to the chemicals used on the equipment or the air circulating, the gym here requires you spray/wipe down the equipment after you use, that can cause lung irritating. I have my own home gym these days so I do all my workouts from there including my Treadmill! ... Plus your immune system does lower after hard workout one should avoid people up an hour while recovering, drink water to hydrate yourself ...

Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I usually get the sniffles/cold/cough. I'm wondering if it's because I sweat heavily and the gym is cold due to the heavy fans. I try to dry off with the paper towels but I'm still pretty wet. It's getting cold outside now so I don't want to risk getting sick.

Can you get pneumonia when you leave the gym all sweaty into the cold frigid weather?

Clean the machines before and after use at the gym. Whatever parts you'll be touching. If they don't have adequate cleaning supplies, bring your own Lysol wipes or something.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:35 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:

If it's short-term, just a day or two, then it could be allergies or irritation caused by the air in the gym. I have asthma and allergies, and running on certain types of days makes me cough and/or sniffle, sometimes for a couple of days.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:20 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:

Your system may be disturbed because you don't get the feedback of your surroundings moving by you, as you run on a treadmill. Your motor-control system expects that visual input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness