Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:40 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,354 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much done with undergrad, and am considering getting in shape so I can attempt a medical waiver for one of the branches of military, though Navy is my first pick. I'm honestly an overweight blob that doesn't move much, so I'm trying to find the best program I can for the best value. I work, but I'm not rich. More often than not, I'm tired after standing in the pharmacy as a pharmacy tech all day, so I'm going to talk to the scheduler to see if I can start getting only 2:30 PM to 11:00 PM shifts. I've tried working out on my own in the past, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing the majority of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 12:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I think nerd fitness has solid advice.The focus on a lot of standards and body weight things. Lots of good information on their site, but of course there is a sort of paleo/crossfit sort of bias. Their approach is very tailored to "nerds" and what "nerd" motivation might be.

You just have to keep trying stuff until you find something you like, but I think it is a good place to start. You'll learn a lot even if you never adopt any of their programs.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
If you're interested in going military, I would check out Tactical Barbell. Get his books on Kindle so it's cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Defi...ctical+barbell

Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I'm pretty much done with undergrad, and am considering getting in shape so I can attempt a medical waiver for one of the branches of military, though Navy is my first pick. I'm honestly an overweight blob that doesn't move much, so I'm trying to find the best program I can for the best value. I work, but I'm not rich. More often than not, I'm tired after standing in the pharmacy as a pharmacy tech all day, so I'm going to talk to the scheduler to see if I can start getting only 2:30 PM to 11:00 PM shifts. I've tried working out on my own in the past, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing the majority of the time.
Upon entering US Army Basic Tng., I weighed 265# and although not a "blob," I was severely out-of-shape from a cardiac standpoint. Had a part-time job in the meat dept. of a retail food store, and this required quite a bit of heavy lifting but nothing aerobic, had no time for sports during the soph, junior and senior yrs. at college because of the job, and smoked cigarettes. Also, despite my disavowal of not being a "blob," I was still too heavy at 265#. You can thank all that delicious lunch meat, cheese, and other delicatessen items back there in the meat dept.

Anyway, Basic Tng. was hell, always out-of-breath and was one of the worst performers in the company when it came to physical training (PT). By the time I got to AIT with the 101st Airborne at Ft. Campbell, cardio fitness and PT performance overall were significantly better.

If US Navy Boot camp 2017 is as physically demanding as US Army Basic Tng. 1966, you might have a rough cruise. Recommend you get on the stick now.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:58 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
I hope it works out for you. I worked shifts and found the 3-11 was best for me to get in exercise -I would exercise before work and got in a very good routine of running along w/ other fitness activities.

Seeing a dietitian for nutritional support/guidance is a must if you're fat and out of shape. It's a lifetime commitment - diet and exercise -

I did 23 yrs in the Army and can't speak highly enough about serving your country. I hope it works out for you.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Upon entering US Army Basic Tng., I weighed 265# and although not a "blob," I was severely out-of-shape from a cardiac standpoint. Had a part-time job in the meat dept. of a retail food store, and this required quite a bit of heavy lifting but nothing aerobic, had no time for sports during the soph, junior and senior yrs. at college because of the job, and smoked cigarettes. Also, despite my disavowal of not being a "blob," I was still too heavy at 265#. You can thank all that delicious lunch meat, cheese, and other delicatessen items back there in the meat dept.

Anyway, Basic Tng. was hell, always out-of-breath and was one of the worst performers in the company when it came to physical training (PT). By the time I got to AIT with the 101st Airborne at Ft. Campbell, cardio fitness and PT performance overall were significantly better.

If US Navy Boot camp 2017 is as physically demanding as US Army Basic Tng. 1966, you might have a rough cruise. Recommend you get on the stick now.
I did some research. Navy 2017 is SLIGHTLY easier than Army 1966, but its still very close. I will have to swim in addition to what you did, but I will get twice as much time to do the sit-ups and push-ups. Otherwise, its the same stuff. I am not sure if its being so fat, but right now I float like a cork.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Start out walking and then jog a little to get a sense of your fitness level. For instance, if you can't run a mile without stopping, focus on that until you can build up your endurance.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Start out walking and then jog a little to get a sense of your fitness level. For instance, if you can't run a mile without stopping, focus on that until you can build up your endurance.
On that day 1 Couch to 5k, I can do the first 5 of the 8 runs, but I have to walk the last 3 runs. Also, Get shin splints trying to run out every day, so I'm running every other day. Been doing incline pushups and normal situps on other days. I can do 16 (20 if I really push myself) incline pushups (using a stool) and 20 (23 if I push myself) situps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness