Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times

Advertisements

I think I’ve got what they call golfers elbow. Not terrible but it is holding me back a bit.

Anyone treated this in their own? Any advice? 39 year old male. Haven’t actually golfed in 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Yes, and though I always will say "go see a professional", I knew enough to know it was not serious, and basic laying off the exercises that aggravate it.

It took about nine months or so for it to be 100%.

Did no special treatment other than not doing exercises that impact it, which sucked because things like pullups were probably the worse, followed by dips.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:29 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I think I’ve got what they call golfers elbow. Not terrible but it is holding me back a bit.

Anyone treated this in their own? Any advice? 39 year old male. Haven’t actually golfed in 20 years.
Usually caused by weak forearms not in balance with the upper arm. With golfers elbow, vs tennis elbow, usually you are flexing your wrist when you shouldn't be during certain lifts or carrying weights/dumbbells and the forearm isn't strong enough and gets over powered by the upper arm. You need to do eccentric training to strengthen it without aggravating it further.

You can try a Theraband flexbar. Only do the exercise for golfers elbow first until it goes away.

Last edited by High Altitude; 02-03-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-03-2018, 05:21 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,652,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post

Just be careful what you do, and golf won't help. I did it while lifting weights, nothing with the actually weights, but just put them down wrong. It took a good 8 to 10 months to make me feel completely healed, as anything you do can activate the tendinitis very easily.

Stay away from anything that will re-inflame the injury. It is tough cause you need to strengthen it, but at same time stay away from aggravating it.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:20 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
This is why FORM is so important. One half second of lost concentration and boommm...

Old 02-03-2018, 07:37 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,482 times
May I ask the difference between golfers and tennis elbow?

Old 02-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
May I ask the difference between golfers and tennis elbow?
Location.
Golfers elbow is on the side of the elbow next to your body, tennis is on the opposit side.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:47 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,864,775 times
What High altitude said about the elbow. I have this issue over the last few weeks. Mostly started since I am increasing the reps on mu pull ups to 14-16 with what I think is clean form, no bouncing/etc. But then the elbow acted up.

I am against the conventional wisdom of "full rest" so added some wrist exercises, simple and easy ones in between my arm work-outs. It has been around two weeks and things are better. Back to pull ups yesterday, just using the bars that have a bit of angle to help keep the elbow more neutral, so far so good.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
What High altitude said about the elbow. I have this issue over the last few weeks. Mostly started since I am increasing the reps on mu pull ups to 14-16 with what I think is clean form, no bouncing/etc. But then the elbow acted up.

I am against the conventional wisdom of "full rest" so added some wrist exercises, simple and easy ones in between my arm work-outs. It has been around two weeks and things are better. Back to pull ups yesterday, just using the bars that have a bit of angle to help keep the elbow more neutral, so far so good.
I am of the same opinion. You can rest some if it is REAL bad and just doing the PT is painful, but the true cause is an imbalance and no amount of rest will solve that if you want to remain active.

If you don't want to get the flexbar, you can do the eccentrics yourself with a very light dumbbell.

Do the concentric part of the exercise with no weight, put the weight in your hand and then perform the eccentric, remove weight and repeat. 1-3 times a week, 2-3 sets, 5-15 reps. Start slow and build up.

Basically what the flexbar does is allow you to get into position to perform the eccentric without ever having to do the concentric movement under tension.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
I think I developed a little of it too from a repetitive work movement involving my left arm. It has hurt like hell to do any sort of bicep curling movement with my left arm. Only that movement seems to really irritate it. I suppose there is nothing to be done about it except give it time to heal itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness