Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:14 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,594,158 times

Advertisements

This woman amazing Ernestine Shepherd defies nearly every physical stereotype , who now 81-year-old! It's never to late to get fit or healthy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpBo2dl3PBc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
Ernestine Shepherd is most certainly inspirational. She shows the proof of positive effects of exercising, particularly weight training. And for 80 years old - wow. Amazing!
However, age is real. It is not just a number. Aging is the real deal. I see this as a very active person, over the years, how things (joints, endurance, fatigue, body changes, etc.) change over time and with people I know, some of the changes are not kind. No matter how much you want to stay in your prime, you digress. But Ernestine shows us that we can delay or manage many of those changes with a healthy lifestyle and positive attitude. The phrase "age is just a number" kind of rubs me a tad I guess, because I am experiencing these changes (can't outrun it, can't outlift it, can't out healthy eat it), but people like Ernestine are role models that show you how to age right!

Old 01-14-2018, 04:19 PM

43 posts, read 27,853 times
That's straight up genetics. Nothing more or less. I respect her immensely but let's call it for it is, genetics!!

Old 01-14-2018, 04:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldT1m3r View Post
That's straight up genetics. Nothing more or less. I respect her immensely but let's call it for it is, genetics!!
Which part is genetics? She didn't begin training until her 70s. If she kept her weight down, all she had to do was build up her muscles. She isn't that large. She has good definition. She only benches 120 lbs.

Last edited by charlygal; 01-14-2018 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 04:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldT1m3r View Post
So exercising and healthy lifestyle have nothing to do with it?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Ernestine is definitely one of my heroes, BUT........ she gets up at 2.00 a.m. to run/walk 10 miles and then spends her day at the gym. Not many people want to live that way, I know I sure don't. But since that is her life and she enjoys it that is great. I have a lot of other interests so I have no desire to live that way.

But she is definitely inspirational for showing what one can accomplish even into their 80s. By the way, I know several ladies in their 80s who look fantastic and are healthy. I'm not talking about muscle like Ernestine, I am talking about they are slim and vibrant and move well. They do this by dancing. No need to spend all day at the gym unless you want those very defined muscles. Staying active is key as we age.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Ernestine is definitely one of my heroes, BUT........ she gets up at 2.00 a.m. to run/walk 10 miles and then spends her day at the gym. Not many people want to live that way, I know I sure don't. But since that is her life and she enjoys it that is great. I have a lot of other interests so I have no desire to live that way.

But she is definitely inspirational for showing what one can accomplish even into their 80s. By the way, I know several ladies in their 80s who look fantastic and are healthy. I'm not talking about muscle like Ernestine, I am talking about they are slim and vibrant and move well. They do this by dancing. No need to spend all day at the gym unless you want those very defined muscles. Staying active is key as we age.
Do you really think it is necessary to do what she does to have a similar body? If she is actually going to such extremes, it is counterproductive. A person can only handle so much aerobic and anaerobic exercise in a week. Anything more than that will result in negative results. Many people who spend hours a day in the gym are socializing and/or giving advice. No one regardless of age should be actively engaged in weightlifting more than 5-6 hours a week.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
She is an inspiration, but she also has some amazing genes. Most women in their 70's would not be able to look like that, even if they followed the same program, which most woman would not be able to due to illness, arthritis, etc... That said, I hope I can continue to do what I am doing into my 70's.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
She is an inspiration, but she also has some amazing genes. Most women in their 70's would not be able to look like that, even if they followed the same program, which most woman would not be able to due to illness, arthritis, etc... That said, I hope I can continue to do what I am doing into my 70's.
Instead of genetics, could it be good, healthy living into one's 70s? People don't have to copy her results but she is a great example that getting older doesn't condemn one to fragility or illness.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:33 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Instead of genetics, could it be good, healthy living into one's 70s? People don't have to copy her results but she is a great example that getting older doesn't condemn one to fragility or illness.
unless one is genetically predisposed to fragility or illness. It's a crapshoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness