Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times

Advertisements

I think you have the right idea. Go for it! Although 8% body fat is very low for a woman. Especially when you are trying to gain muscle. Just listen to your body. We need some fat in order to make hormones. Read everything you can get your hands on about weight training, magazines, youtube videos, online sites. You don't really need a trainer long term. Unless you want to, and can afford it. Once you get the hang of it you can go solo. I wish you the best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 04:04 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
My veganism is based on animal rights ethics, so there's zero chance I would include animal products.
There are a lot of animals that aren't vegans. It's part of the natural order to consume other creatures. An animals rights end where my hunger begins.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
There are a lot of animals that aren't vegans. It's part of the natural order to consume other creatures. An animals rights end where my hunger begins.
Nobody's challenging your POV here; it's just me, my perspective and dietary choices. I get to have that, too, right? And this is not the place to discuss the issue. It's really not, and I would find it tiresome to do so, as you might imagine. The issue is finding the right product for me, which I believe I have.

Most people agree with you. But it's not germane to the thread and could get the thread closed (and me kicked off for a while) if we open up this particular discussion.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:00 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Do you have an estimate of your current body fat percentage? Here is a visual chart - it doesn't even have anything for less than 10% for women:

Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
My goals are to keep below 8% body fat

Yeah, right.

8% body fat for a woman is fashion model Twiggy, 1966 version. Skeletal.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:38 AM

779 posts, read 471,583 times
Quote:
I'm a 68 y.o. female, thinking of getting into weight lifting. I currently swim, was riding until recently, and did Aikido for 12 years in the past. I have 4 and 5 lb. weights that I use frequently at home, for years. But I need a more formal approach with a trainer, given that I don't know much about it.

In researching online I'm hearing about BCAAs and wanted to add that in. I don't eat red meat, dairy or eggs but there are a number of vegan products on Amazon that come up if you search on "vegan BCAAs," it's just that some of these products indicate they're for weight GAIN! That seems contrary to me, but perhaps someone could explain? (Muscle gain?) If someone could recommend a product?

My goals are to keep below 8% body fat, and be strong so I can get the knee repaired that I injured riding.

I was very inspired by this book when it first came out many years ago but unfortunately didn't follow through:

Miriam E. Nelson: Strong Women Stay Young
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0AZR3D4Z&psc=1

A few things: BCAA's will not help you gain weight as their is very few calories in a serving of just BCAA's. They will do a good job of helping you preserve/build muscle as they are building blocks for muscle growth. Great for a caloric deficit when your weight training extensively. You're not at 8 percent body fat. You'd be bordering on death as a female if you were consistently at that BF%.

Good luck. Read up. Hit those weights.

*I just saw all the posts just above after posting. Oh well.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Yeah, right.

8% body fat for a woman is fashion model Twiggy, 1966 version. Skeletal.
I was thinking maybe she made a typo and she meant 18%? Because even that amount is extremely low for a woman. The women at the super low percentages in the post above look horrible.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I was thinking maybe she made a typo and she meant 18%? Because even that amount is extremely low for a woman. The women at the super low percentages in the post above look horrible.
It's not just extremely low, it's physically impossible. Men have 2-3% essential body fat, and Women have 10-12%. That's essential body fat just to survive.

I think it's awesome that OP is getting into weightlifting though .

Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
They only get that low in the first two photos on the left for competitions so you can see the muscle striations, or what they call being shredded, or ripped. The off season is more normal.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
They only get that low in the first two photos on the left for competitions so you can see the muscle striations, or what they call being shredded, or ripped. The off season is more normal.
They also dehydrate themselves in order to show more muscles. They really only look like that for a day at most during photo shoots or competitions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness