Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,508,101 times

Advertisements

So I joined a new gym and I am working hard to strengthen my back. I had surgeries and I have scoliosis that was never treated so my back was really starting to get bad. Not pain so much as discomfort. My regular workout was not addressing it.

I have been doing it for about 3 months and everything was going great. The guy who owns the gym is great because he makes you do all this stuff that helps you limber up and then you do the lifting. I have been very careful not to get hurt and taking it slow.

So on Friday, we were doing the dead lifting and they had me at like 55 pounds and I felt fine and like I could do more. They had me add 10 pounds. One rep and I pulled something. I felt like I was going to pass out.

I told the lady because it was not the main guy and she told me a few things to help it and I went home. Monday, I told him I wasn't coming because of the pain and he said come and asked me some questions and had me do some stuff. None of it was painful but it didn't really help either. He wanted me to come yesterday and I said no. He had mentioned me doing a full workout and I knew that wasn't in the cards. So today, I am not going again because I feel like when I walk or sit or stand, the muscle is seizing up and making it continue to hurt. I am sure he would have wanted me to come but getting in and out of the car is excrutiating.

I feel like if I take one muscle relaxer, it might help because that muscle is seizing up. I HATE taking them because they dry me out and they make me sleep and it's not good sleep. They last 24 hours even if I cut it in half. I have a black tie thing to attend Friday night, which I don't even know how I am going to make wearing high heals let alone sneakers.

Thinking maybe I need to see a doctor of some sort if this pain continues to persist.

WWYD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Doctor: yes. Absolutely. You don't want to re-injure your back as that could be something serious that you might end up dealing with for years.

A lot of my back issues went away when I made a conscious effort to focus on strengthening my core muscles. For years I only did core exercises maybe once per week. Now I do them every other day and (knock on wood) I haven't had any back issues for years. Stretching and adequately warming up pre-workout helps too. I would avoid these trainers, most of these people haven't a clue what they are doing.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:31 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
I've had an off and on bad back for 45 years. About 6 months ago I was transferring clothes from the washer into the dryer about 3 ft away. When I made a twisting motion, I felt pain and it drove me to my knees. I used all the usual therapies like Ice followed by heat for about a week. I also went to a Chiropractor several times. I started doing PT with a Youtube program called Hazfit. The guy in the program runs you through a lot stretching followed by strengthening exercises. I try to go through the 20 minute workout every day. Long story short. My back still hurts but I can feel it getting stronger everyday.
I've gone to GP's before and what they know how to do is prescribe more medication. I think physical therapy is the key and staying away from heavy objects for a while.
Good luck, I hope you get to feeling better!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM

8,338 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Try a hot bath. It loosens things up. Do it daily for a while until you feel better.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So I joined a new gym and I am working hard to strengthen my back. I had surgeries and I have scoliosis that was never treated so my back was really starting to get bad. Not pain so much as discomfort. My regular workout was not addressing it.

I have been doing it for about 3 months and everything was going great. The guy who owns the gym is great because he makes you do all this stuff that helps you limber up and then you do the lifting. I have been very careful not to get hurt and taking it slow.

So on Friday, we were doing the dead lifting and they had me at like 55 pounds and I felt fine and like I could do more. They had me add 10 pounds. One rep and I pulled something. I felt like I was going to pass out.

I told the lady because it was not the main guy and she told me a few things to help it and I went home. Monday, I told him I wasn't coming because of the pain and he said come and asked me some questions and had me do some stuff. None of it was painful but it didn't really help either. He wanted me to come yesterday and I said no. He had mentioned me doing a full workout and I knew that wasn't in the cards. So today, I am not going again because I feel like when I walk or sit or stand, the muscle is seizing up and making it continue to hurt. I am sure he would have wanted me to come but getting in and out of the car is excrutiating.

I feel like if I take one muscle relaxer, it might help because that muscle is seizing up. I HATE taking them because they dry me out and they make me sleep and it's not good sleep. They last 24 hours even if I cut it in half. I have a black tie thing to attend Friday night, which I don't even know how I am going to make wearing high heals let alone sneakers.

Thinking maybe I need to see a doctor of some sort if this pain continues to persist.

WWYD?

Back pain is nothing to mess with....see your family MD asap.
No weights or exercise until seen by doctor.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:03 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I think pilates and maybe yoga (although for me yoga is hit or miss) would help. But for now, alternate heat and ice on it. Take that muscle relaxer! When you're laying down, put pillows under your knees to take the pressure off. 2 other things I do are massage and acupuncture. I would do all those and once it's stable, try Pilates.

I've had back issues for 20 years, so I feel your pain. I had to adjust my lifting and use my core more. Even then it goes out for no reason.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
You already have a bad back, and now it is a major problem. Don't be a jackass, get yourself to a doctor!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Rest, time and anti-inflammatory/muscle relaxers.

Given your bad back history, I don't think I'd ever be deadlifting.

for those that aren't sure what a deadlift is >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuBucAGzRBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCDzSR6bW10

Old 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,574,629 times
A little soreness in the back after deadlifting is ok but serious pain after 5 days means you need to see a doctor.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:10 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,369,560 times
I would actually be doing MORE deadlifting type exercises that strengthen your core once the pain/inflammation wear down. The more of that you do, the stronger you become and the fewer imbalances you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness