Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times

Advertisements

When I used to work out 5-6 days a week, my body fat percent was at 18% (I'm female) but I ate a lot and didn't track my food.. so even though I was in great shape I wasn't proud of my stomach. It was always bloated looking.

Since I've injured myself I haven't been able to workout to my full capacity in 2years though I still do light exercises a few times a week. I have cut down drastically on my calories and even went on the slow carb diet a month ago. I just checked my body fat percentage and it's at 22% but my stomach looks way better than when I used to workout. My abs are more clearly defined and I'm not bloated anymore.

I was a bit shocked by this.. maybe most of the bloat from my workout days had more to do with water retention than fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 02:23 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,058 times
Increasing BF% made my belly grow 6.5 inches around, muscles got totally buried, belly looked bloated and swollen, as you'd expect if you gain fat. I can't explain why your BF increase would result in a more defined belly. The only thing would be lack of bloating from foods and retained water because you're eating less. Also 18 to 22% body fat is not a big difference.

Not having as much retained water in your belly from the lower calorie intake is probably why it looks better. But for most people, and for bigger BF% gains than yours, a higher BF% means a fatter, flabbier belly with folds and rolls developing in it, and also starting to jiggle.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:55 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Stomach? None. How much food you eat - yes.
If you were talking about your belly/abdomen size, internal fat will surely make it bulge out. That is the fat that you don't see, one that is on intestine connective fascia. One that is the hardest to rid of.

Also, fluid retention. Enlarged liver. Clogged intestine inside, with mucus plaque. Whatever adds to size of everything inside of belly will make belly larger. If you have very strong belly muscles, it becomes rather very uncomfortable as then they try to press "gut" back into abdominal cavity, that presses on the diphragm and you feel like you have cinder block pressing up into it.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:24 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
When I used to work out 5-6 days a week, my body fat percent was at 18% (I'm female) but I ate a lot and didn't track my food.. so even though I was in great shape I wasn't proud of my stomach. It was always bloated looking.

Since I've injured myself I haven't been able to workout to my full capacity in 2years though I still do light exercises a few times a week. I have cut down drastically on my calories and even went on the slow carb diet a month ago. I just checked my body fat percentage and it's at 22% but my stomach looks way better than when I used to workout. My abs are more clearly defined and I'm not bloated anymore.

I was a bit shocked by this.. maybe most of the bloat from my workout days had more to do with water retention than fat?
Well, a low-carb diet has a diuretic effect, but that wouldn't explain everything. Excess carbs cause your body to retain, or build, fat, by stimulating insulin production. Cutting back on carbs probably helped in a variety of ways.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:34 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,918 times
I agree with the lower amount of calories and water retention. I had washboard flat abs when I was exercising less intensively but restricting and eating far less (though my body fat was very low due to low weight too). I eat much more now and am a healthier weight and exercise more intensively because I have more energy and strength, but I also have more bloating in abdomen, worse as the day progresses. I think at least some of that is natural.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,818 times
OP, you sound just like me. I have the same bloating look. For my body, I noticed that when I eat a lot, I have more food in my stomach, so my belly bloats out more.

But if I eat less, then there's less food in my stomach, so my belly doesn't bloat out as much.

So maybe the bloating look comes from the fact that I simply have more food in my stomach. It could be as simple as that. Maybe you're the same way since you said you were eating more and you had the bloating and then cut calories and had less bloating.

Last edited by sas318; 05-22-2019 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,135 times
I think it just depends on where you hold your weight and genetics. I am serious! I lose weight and still have a stomach pudge. Just how I am built. I can be skin and bones, but still have the tummy pudge.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,515 times
i am also looking for that answer..thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness