Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 09:22 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,556,196 times

Advertisements

With age (71) my skin has thinned and there is very little padding on the heel of my palm. My grip strength, wrist strength and forearm strength are all good, but, as I work to develop my upper arm strength I am bruising the palm of my hand. I notice it most when I am using the seated chest press machine.

It is the type of bruise you can't see and does not hurt until you apply pressure -such as doing a pushup or using the seated chest press machine. It is right across the bottom third of the palm.

I think I have the upper arm strength to handle more weight, but, the bruised palm is preventing me from doing so.

The circumference of my hand is 7 1/2 inches and my wrist is 5 1/2 inches. Any suggestions for hand protection that would fit my size hand to protect the lower part of my palm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 09:27 AM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
With age (71) my skin has thinned and there is very little padding on the heel of my palm. My grip strength, wrist strength and forearm strength are all good, but, as I work to develop my upper arm strength I am bruising the palm of my hand. I notice it most when I am using the seated chest press machine.

It is the type of bruise you can't see and does not hurt until you apply pressure -such as doing a pushup or using the seated chest press machine. It is right across the bottom third of the palm.

I think I have the upper arm strength to handle more weight, but, the bruised palm is preventing me from doing so.

The circumference of my hand is 7 1/2 inches and my wrist is 5 1/2 inches. Any suggestions for hand protection that would fit my size hand to protect the lower part of my palm?

Have you tried wearing gloves?

The lifting gloves you buy at sport stores.

But with your condition, I'm not sure if it will help.

Here is a google image link: https://www.google.com/search?q=lift...w=1536&bih=722

Old 06-22-2019, 12:10 PM

Have not tried gloves yet, because, it is hard to tell which style gloves would have padding to protect the lower third of my palm. I was hoping someone could suggest a particular style of glove that might work.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Have not tried gloves yet, because, it is hard to tell which style gloves would have padding to protect the lower third of my palm. I was hoping someone could suggest a particular style of glove that might work.
I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Weightlifting...s%2C385&sr=8-3
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2019, 12:47 PM

33,223 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:

Lifting grips as an alternative to gloves might help.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Power-Pa...81697257&psc=1

Old 06-22-2019, 12:51 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Feel them in the store to find out. Also try cycling gloves, which may have some padding in the palm.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Lifting grips as an alternative to gloves might help.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Power-Pa...81697257&psc=1
I will try to find a store where I can get a better look at these lifting pads. I have an extremely small wrist so I may have difficulty finding a glove that also fits my small wrist.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Feel them in the store to find out. Also try cycling gloves, which may have some padding in the palm.
I do have a pair of cycling gloves that I have used to protect my hands when kayaking. Will give them a try - but, they don't seem to have much padding where I really need it. Will give it a try anyway just to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:51 PM

3,688 posts, read 2,408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Have you tried wearing gloves?

The lifting gloves you buy at sport stores.

But with your condition, I'm not sure if it will help.

Here is a google image link: https://www.google.com/search?q=lift...w=1536&bih=722
You can try them on at sport stores / fitness stores.

More variety on Amazon but of course they can't be tried on before purchase.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
"Any suggestions..."

Mary, i am cheap.
this is my cheap way.
you might have several pairs of gloves.
take a pair you did not wear this year
and cut out the fingers. if you actually
LIKE that, then you know where to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness