Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 01:01 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,413,819 times

Advertisements

Lifting heavy weights and dieting. Can you trigger fat loss and loose weight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 04:37 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Yes, you can.

"Diet is everything."

We can't out-train a bad diet.

Weight training can be cardio also.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Just keep in mind that you could gain muscle, which means you might actually gain weight and your clothes might feel more snug.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:28 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
A healthy diet and a balance exercise regimen will trigger fat loss and allow you to lose weight. You have to remove all un-heathy eating habits: over-eating, junk food, alcohol, soda, candy, etc. Create a food schedule along with a workout schedule and stick to it until it becomes an autopilot routine

You will need to incorporate cardio or some sort of aerobic exercise to your training regimen.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,656 times
Default Turning Your Body Into a Fat-Burning Machine

Quote:
If you feel like any extra calories you eat go straight to your belly or thighs, you're not imagining things. Those are usually the areas where you store fat because of your genes, hormones, age, lifestyle, and other factors.

Your body tends to hoard calories as fat to keep you alive and safe. The challenge is learning how to get rid of that extra fat.

You hear a lot about fat-burning gimmicks such as working out in the fat-burning zone, spot reduction, and foods or supplements that supposedly burn more fat. Instead, learn how to burn fat through a variety of types of exercise.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:39 PM

1,859 posts, read 799,084 times
thats my main goal, I dont run or walk much but do small lifting

Old 05-18-2021, 03:41 PM

882 posts, read 767,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Just keep in mind that you could gain muscle, which means you might actually gain weight and your clothes might feel more snug.
Actually muscle and fat weigh exactly the same. Muscle just takes up way way less space. So the opposite is true, as you gain muscle, even if you don’t lose weight, your clothes will fill much looser. Also lifting weights boosts our metabolism way way more than cardio alone. We burn more calories longer after a weight lifting session than after a cardio session. Both are needed for overall health. However, the key to weight loss is 90% nutrition.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
Actually muscle and fat weigh exactly the same. Muscle just takes up way way less space. So the opposite is true, as you gain muscle, even if you don’t lose weight, your clothes will fill much looser. Also lifting weights boosts our metabolism way way more than cardio alone. We burn more calories longer after a weight lifting session than after a cardio session. Both are needed for overall health. However, the key to weight loss is 90% nutrition.
Sorry, but some of your statements are not correct. I'm guessing you are an older female who has never seriously lifted weights. I've been lifting weights for over 50 years. Actually remember lifting free weights in 1967, when I was in 6th grade. My goal was always to gain muscle since I was a skinny teenager. I'm now 236 lbs. with a 36" waist and have outgrown a lot of clothes over the years. I have replaced all of my dress shirts when I went from a 15.5" neck to a 17" neck, and when my suit jacket size went from a 40" to a 44".

It doesn't matter that muscle and fat weigh the same. You lift weights to build muscle. As you get stronger, your muscles get larger. This is true even for women. I have two daughters in their 30s who both lift. Most women don't have the potential to get as large as men, but muscle growth and definition are definitely possible for women. Women who are my age and even 20 years younger grew up thinking that lifting heavy weights was bad for you. To gain muscle size, both men and women need to lift heavier weights, and lift to failure. I see too many women in gyms who pick up 5 lb. dumbbells, do 10 reps, and think they have lifted weights.

My one daughter does Crossfit competition. Take a look at some of the female Crossfit competitors. https://www.google.com/search?q=fema...D_enUS792US792

Old 05-18-2021, 06:49 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
I know people say "the key to weight loss is 90% nutrition." But in my experience, it's only when I work out that I actually lose weight, regardless of what I eat. I have never eaten particularly healthy, although sometimes eat more whole foods than other times. When I eat better AND work out, the weight loss is faster, sometimes amazingly like a few months.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:14 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
When I was BUILDING muscle I was gaining weight. Bulking up does carry more "real estate" to house the Solid muscle. Sorry but I found it a NO win situation when I lifted weights . I went from 112 lbs to 122, during lift weight training. It was Neither flattering or effective in my goal to slim down and be toned.
I am petite by nature, and the area that had "flab" , then housed the muscle. I still looked puffy and that was NOT my goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness