Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2023, 09:11 PM

138 posts, read 154,304 times

Advertisements

I use the treadmill at the gym and enjoy it. I want to quit the gym and use a treadmill at home as I've joined a strength training class held twice a week at a local studio, which I've been doing for a year and really enjoy that as well. Quitting the gym would help offset the cost of the classes. Buying a treadmill would give me the cardio workout I normally do at the gym. Plus, I won't have to drive to the gym, which was closed during COVID, so the treadmill would be readily available any time I want to use it.

I am a 68-year old female looking to keep moving as I age and get a decent cardio workout. This would not be used for running. My knees can't take that anymore. I generally walk about 3.1-3.2 mph for 30-45 minutes.

A folding treadmill would be a bonus so I could fold it up and get it out of the way if necessary, although I pretty much expect it to stay in place most of the time. Just don't want a beast of a treadmill that takes up so much space in a room. This treadmill will be placed out in my 3-season room, which has a concrete floor. It has windows on three sides with beautiful views. We plan on adding heating and cooling out there eventually to make it a 4-season room.

I've seen some folding treadmills that have a hydraulic assist to raise and lower the base, making folding it much easier. I don't need all of the bells and whistles, just a ledge on which to place my tablet or phone for streaming TV shows, listening to podcasts or audiobooks, etc., so I would prefer a quieter treadmill so I can hear those.

All the customer reviews of various brands suggest that so many of them are problem prone and getting service for them under manufacturer's warranty is challenging.

I've pulled up the various reviews compiled by CNET, NYTIMES, etc., and many of them recommend a certain model of NordicTrack. But customer reviews are mixed about the quality and service.

I'd like to know which quality brands you've experienced that provide good service. Would like to stay under $1500. Under $1,000 even better. Can I get what I want in that price range? I'm hesitant to buy used for many reasons: how well it was maintained, no warranty left, malfunctions or problems that pushed them to put it up for sale, etc.

I would appreciate any helpful input you can offer. I'm overwhelmed with the options and disappointed in the customer reviews I've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 11:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,000,626 times
I don't know where you live, but I might check out stores that sell/consign used fitness gear. When I was shopping for some used golf clubs everywhere I shopped had a half dozen or so high quality treadmills, barely used. People buy them new and get tired of them and/or barely use them. And these stores will honor their sales.

Last edited by rokuremote; 07-12-2023 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-13-2023, 07:05 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
I have the Sole F80 and highly recommend it. I believe it was around $1,800 new. I saw the F60 model at Academy Sports last week for $1,500. You can get the new F80 for around $1,900 new.
It checks all your boxes. It comes with a walking/running belt, lots of cushion for impact, folds up and has hydraulic assist, and has a ledge for your device. The motor is extremely quiet and you can barely hear mine at all even though the motor is now 5 years old. The Sole treadmills have a wider and longer platform than some of the cheaper ones which makes it easier to stay on the belt without bumping the edge or falling off the end.

It's a fantastic buy quite honestly. Mine is a 2018 model and while it's beginning to show its age it still works. I ran a 5k on it yesterday. Still on the stock walking/running belt, etc... and has never had any repairs. it has logged close to 3,000 miles and all were running and it's held up fine. If/when it gives up the ghost I will replace it with another Sole.

If I were just going to use it for walking, I would probably choose the F60.

One extremely important thing that many miss.... make sure to buy a bottle of belt lube and keep it lubricated. The lube goes between the belt and platform and reduces the wear and friction on the belt. At times as the belt stretches, you also have to make sure you're tightening the belt. Sole makes it really easy and it takes about 5 seconds. I usually adjust mine once per year and lube it after every 5-6 runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness