Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is percentage of bodyweight fair when a female and male lift together?
Helps out the female 1 20.00%
Maybe 1 20.00%
Helps out the male 1 20.00%
Who cares it is just fun to lift with someone. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,020,465 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here train at the gym with their husband or girl/boyfriend? We are getting a little competitive. So we have been using percentage of bodyweight to compare our rows, bench presses,..etc. Is this a fair measurement? We are going for strength!

Last edited by gym rat; 07-23-2008 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM

529 posts, read 2,397,656 times
Well, if you're competing to lose weight the bodyweight percentage lost is the best way to go.

If you guys are competing strength wise, you'll have to do a weights-lifted/bodyweight ratio.

Nothing like good ol' competition to get the blood flowing!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
Nothing like good ol' competition to get the blood flowing!

We are going for strength and WOW are we competitive. It could be weights or UNO. We both wish to win. I love it!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,294,118 times
I have been training with my husband for 2 yrs. I love it and I know for me since he is so much bigger than me there is no way I can lift as much as he does but it does push me to lift heavier. About the only thing I can come close to is doing hack squats, I can usually do pretty close to what he does. He makes me push myself harder than I would if I were lifting on my own. I love the fact that I can lift heavier than alot of guys in our gym. Sometimes I feel like I get 2 workouts though when I have to spot him. LOL

Old 07-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I have been training with my husband for 2 yrs. I love it and I know for me since he is so much bigger than me there is no way I can lift as much as he does but it does push me to lift heavier. About the only thing I can come close to is doing hack squats, I can usually do pretty close to what he does. He makes me push myself harder than I would if I were lifting on my own. I love the fact that I can lift heavier than alot of guys in our gym. Sometimes I feel like I get 2 workouts though when I have to spot him. LOL

ajzjmsmom,

We enjoy pushing each other. My husband is a math professor to we decided to do percentage of body weight X/120 = 135/160, so the X is the weight I would have to lift. So we solve for X .

Old 07-23-2008, 05:40 PM

201 posts, read 965,338 times
I cuurently do not train with my wife. If we went to the same gym i'd prefer a mix of solo training and combined training as I have my own routines/pace that I like to follow.

That and my wife is an ex personal trainer and has had me begging for mercy within 3 minutes when she's trained me. She seems to take great pleasure in my pain and i'm man enough to run away and hide

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
I cuurently do not train with my wife. If we went to the same gym i'd prefer a mix of solo training and combined training as I have my own routines/pace that I like to follow.

That and my wife is an ex personal trainer and has had me begging for mercy within 3 minutes when she's trained me. She seems to take great pleasure in my pain and i'm man enough to run away and hide

Sounds like a great resource. You are Lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness