Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 PM

22 posts, read 154,796 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, and training to prepare for the navy and I noticed my appetite is a little more than normal.

Do you have a greater appetite when you do cardio and work out daily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 PM

16 posts, read 73,673 times
Well I'm a dancer and I also work out and go running, I've never thought I had a large appetite but during the summer I got a job and wasn't as active and I did notice a decrease in appetite.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Yes.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:48 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upatthecape View Post
I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, and training to prepare for the navy and I noticed my appetite is a little more than normal.

Absolutely. For me, that's one of the benefits... :-)

Old 12-14-2008, 08:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
I eat 5 meals a day not counting healty snacks. Working out does makes one hungry. You should choose bonus food that wore off hunger. I keep a container of almonds in the car fo those in between meal and the gym. I work out 5x a week, 2x with a trainer. My workouts are a bit serious, as I'm tryint to lose 60 pounds. However, my overall calories are still down to under 1600. Pick the right food, fruits and snacks and your hunger should subiside.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:22 AM

151 posts, read 526,010 times
Yes, it's normal. This study shows that on average people compensated for about 30% of the exercise-induced energy deficit through increased appetite: The effect of an incremental increase in exercise ...[Br J Nutr. 2008] - PubMed Result .

Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM

105 posts, read 580,186 times
Quote:

Yes, which sometimes leads people to eat unhealthy and ultimately there was no point in being in the gym anyways.

The best way to avoid this is to have 5-6 "smaller meals" that include at least 2 of the food groups. 3 main meals which are medium size, and 2 snacks which include a fruit and yogurt or something inbetween breakfast/lunch, and lunch/dinner. This increases metabolism, and makes you less hungry.

It's also good to eat a balanced meal with protein ASAP after you workout. Chicken breast with salad and brown rice is a good example.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
You need a serious calorie load for that. Especially since you want to retain muscle. Watch the scales because if you really start to lose too fast its a sign you need to eat more a.s.a.p. or your body will start to slow metab and make you higher fat by taking more muscle and fat with each loss than it would on a healthy level of cals if you were losing weight.

Add up what you do in an online calorie counter with your stats to see how much you need to eat for what your burn is. For that type of activity I would just follow the military diet guidance and training: Navy Fitness Center - Military.com

Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
Quote:

Yes I did...when I first started weight training a couple of months ago..I find myself ravenous esp. after a work-out. It figures must be the body demanding replenisment from energy used up from my work-out. It's evened out now after the adjustment...but I still get that ravenous from time to time.

It may just vary according to the person...

Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times
of course. You're burning more cals so you need to take in more cals. Your maintenance level is going up. Make sure you give your body the fuel it needs or you will stop seeing results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness