Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,256 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Im trying to build up my bicept/tricept area (to lose that flab) and give myself nice tone arms. Currently, Im doing hammer curls, and regular curls and I also lift over my head (not sure what those are called). I also do "swingbacks" to tackle that back arm area. Im using 8lb weights. I DO NOT want to become more broad or gain muscle in my chest.. am I doing everything right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Hi there,

Im trying to build up my bicept/tricept area (to lose that flab) and give myself nice tone arms. Currently, Im doing hammer curls, and regular curls and I also lift over my head (not sure what those are called). I also do "swingbacks" to tackle that back arm area. Im using 8lb weights. I DO NOT want to become more broad or gain muscle in my chest.. am I doing everything right??
You're not doing anything to kill the flab: that flab will be killed off by diet. 8lb weights also do next to nothing. To "give tone" you have to build muscle and to do that you'll have to use more weight. Kickbacks are fairly useless. Overhead extensions are fine. Try lying extensions (also called skull crushers).

Also: there is NO "t" in bicep and there is only one "t" in tricep. Seriously.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
I use 15-20 lbs for those exercises but had to work up to it. BTW- I am still tiny so no you will not get huge like many women are paranoid of. It is extremely difficult for a woman to get too big.

But to get rid of flab, eat cleaner and healthier, good carbs mixed with protein, and more cardio as well. Make sure the cardio actually raises your heartbeat and is medium to high intensity. Good luck

Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 PM

529 posts, read 2,395,121 times
As TwiloMike mentioned, you can't "spot reduce" the flab on your arms, you have to lose weight overall in order to see a change.

The end game is calories taken in versus calories burned.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 PM

299 posts, read 1,017,037 times
I second all the "need to lose total body fat to tone the arms" for shape and definition i'd use somewhat heavier weight (but not too heavy) and do 12 to 20 reps. Make sure the last one or two are totally brutal, that is where you really get the gains. If the last rep isn't total exhaustion then you aren't getting the best workout. You really have to push yourself and learn when you are just tired and when the muscle is totally spent. Once you figure that out, your workouts will really take off. And don't do arms more than two times a week or so, give your muscles time to recoup and rebuild.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. If you want to lose the flab you need to watch your diet. Kickbacks are pretty much useless. Try tricep extensions, tricep pushdowns, and the skull crunchers TwiloMike mentioned. You definately need to do this with heavier weight though. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,264,256 times
Okay, I think I'll stick with my 8lbs for now though. I have bad elbows but will work my way up to heavier ones. Thanks everyone

Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Good luck Oobie. You received some really great advice on this thread. Too bad your elbow injuries will prevent you from following through on this to help you acheive your goal.

Since your elbows prevent you from using heavier weight you will REALLY have to watch your nutrition intake if you want to lose the flab and you will need to up your cardio sessions as well. Otherwise you will be fighting an uphill battle and may get discouraged and quit. You should really push yourself and try to up the weight on your other exercises.

Stay away from:
Sodas, processed food, white rice, white pasta, sugar, white breads, high sodium foods/drinks,

Eat:
Green veggies, cottage cheese, almonds, almond butter, whole grain breads, wheat pastas, chunk light tuna, broiled chicken breasts, yams, drink plenty of water. Eat 4-5 small meals per day.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,119 times
Quote:
Okay, I think I'll stick with my 8lbs for now though. I have bad elbows but will work my way up to heavier ones. Thanks everyone
Kill the kickbacks and see how quickly your elbows will improve. That exercise is only making your elbows worse.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:18 PM

323 posts, read 2,090,033 times
I agree with the below...diet is key in "loosing flab"
remember, sounds like what you're looking for is tone and not bulk..in this case you need to do higher repetition and less weight.

You shouldn't leave out cardio, IE: stairmaster, treadmill etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness