Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I have been matched with a personal trainer when joining a gym that I just cannot click with. Generally I find most personal trainers can hold a conversation, motivate you.

When I start off in a gym, I like to be given a workout that I can easily follow on my own, the trainer understands my limitations and my goals. At the same time, I need someone who is friendly and motivational!

The woman I was paired with has excellent certifications. However, every time we meet she changes up the workout (great stuff I can't replicate it), doesn't remember my injuries, and brings me into the special 'personal training room' that I cannot go into without her.

I have expressed to her every time we meet to please write down what we are doing so I can replicate it and not to bring me into the room since I cannot use the equipment. The gym I joined you get four free meetings. Today is my last one with her. Usually I look forward to working with a trainer, and possibly would have extended working with her, but wow, she is just awful!

It got me to thinking if it's just me! LOL. Anyhow, what do you look for in a trainer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:31 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
I think you can probably figure out why she's doing that - she wants to retain you as a long-term client and she likely figures if she writes everything down for you, you would no longer need her as a trainer. What would stop you from writing this all down as you from exercise from exercise? Granted, she *should* be doing that for you but if not I'd stand there and do it myself.

Changing a workout is good, is that a problem because you can't remember it all? Again, writing it down or even grabbing your phone and taking photos might help.

I've personally never used a trainer. But it would seem to me the most important thing for them to do is to remember your injuries and limitations so that you don't have to repeat yourself every time. Can you request another trainer for your final session?

Once you get a good routine going you should be able to ditch a trainer altogether. Unless you need the motivation, there is unlimited information on the internet about workouts, diet, etc. that is 100% free. Try and get to that point rather than focusing on finding a good trainer. There are some very good ones out there as I have some friends who do it and I know they put everything into it, but I've seen some AWFUL trainers at gyms too.....on their phone during sessions, put people on the same exact machines over and over again.....which is why I say you want to go solo as soon as possible.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:54 AM

With the gym I joined you get four free personal training sessions. This is why I am curious, to me what she is doing is counter intuitive. I need someone to motivate me to do better by teaching me what to do. She was so all over the place with exercises I have never done.

I like mixing it up and learning new exercises, but these were very different. When I have worked with trainers in the oars they have always encouraged by helping woth new exercises and tracking my progress.

This woman was so disorganized, she would seem to forget what she was doing. She gave me exercises I found hard to do and really struggled. This would be great if she was my hired trainer, but not as a temporary person.

The entire thing was beyond frustrating, mostly because I communicated what I needed and wanted. If she were good I would have extended my time with her.

Just interesting to hear people's perspectives.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:31 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

It got me to thinking if it's just me! LOL. Anyhow, what do you look for in a trainer?
While I have no need for a personal trainer (I train people myself), some of the things that I believe they MUST have are:

The ability to inspire.
The ability to motivate.
Hands on personal knowledge.
Look the part. As if they themselves are the epitome of health/fitness.
Personable. Our personalities and energy must click.
A bit of drill instructor type mentality.
Experience.

As for you:

Bring a pad and pencil with you to EVERY workout. Anyone who teaches/instructs anyone at anything would be happy/proud to see their student/client taking notes.
Document the exercises, the weight, the reps, everything.
Ask for alternatives to certain exercises/machines that you will not have access to.
Ask her to provide you with her recommendations for short term and long term routines to help you reach your goals.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM

522 posts, read 722,239 times
i'm with Kings Gambit. Pay attention. only reason you can't replicate the moves is because a) you're not paying enough attention, b) combination of a and not getting the physics of the body (yet, it has to "click"). The problem with a) is that you can't pay appropriate attention without the b). which leads me to the next paragraph.

What you're describing is a standard PT approach which led me to quit the business; I used to train people, but my goal was to make sure that my clients were not sheepishly doing what I tell them, but would also understand WHY they were doing it. management didn't like that, obviously. this was one of the two huge reasons I left the field.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM

73 posts, read 123,801 times
Do your research and make sure the person is as legit, has trained others to success in the past and most of all you can build a trust and report with.

You cannot always go by looks alone. Many people make the mistake of assuming you will look like your trainer eventually, but everything from genetics, to diet to supplementation (legal and illegal) make a huge difference. Also just because your trainer might look a little thinner or chubbier than you'd expect don't disqualify him/her. One of my best boxing trainers was a kind of fat guy, who actually had a terrible accident at one point leaving him bed ridden for a while, so when I caught him he looked physically un-fit but he had the knowledge needed.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:28 PM

The person is legit with ACE and AFAA, plus a lot of other certifications. She is just the worst person I have ever worked with. I have been going to the gym for many, many years. I love trying new exercises. However, she would have me start doing something, it wouldn't feel right, she would say 'oh, don't do that' and we would move onto the next exercise.

To me it was odd. I set out my goals, what I wanted, what I need from her. I was very, very clear. These were exercises I have never done before. So I am need to do them a couple of times in a row in order to remember and master them. I let her know this, but she couldn't remember what we had done the previous session.

If I had hired her for a ten week program, I wouldn't question it. I like not doing the same thing every time I go the gym. I am sure things have changed drastically since the last time I hired a personal trainer (10 years ago!!)

Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
I've never used a trainer, but have thought about it. I'd look for someone with good knowledge, since there has been an explosion of research in the past several years.

I've done enough reading about distance running training to be dangerous. I would ask about something that I know, and see what they say. This is the same approach I use when looking for a car mechanic. I give them a job simple enough that even I know how it should be handled, and see how they handle it.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Just because a person has the certifications does not necessarily mean they will be a good trainer. A good trainer listens to what your personal goals are. A good personal trainer develops a plan to meet those goals. A good trainer will write down everything so you can do the stuff on your own. A good trainer puts emphasis form and will tell you about the exercise they want to do and why. A good trainer will push you but not punish you.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Just because a person has the certifications does not necessarily mean they will be a good trainer. A good trainer listens to what your personal goals are. A good personal trainer develops a plan to meet those goals. A good trainer will write down everything so you can do the stuff on your own. A good trainer puts emphasis form and will tell you about the exercise they want to do and why. A good trainer will push you but not punish you.
well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness