Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 AM

2,261 posts, read 4,771,909 times

Advertisements

some times I weigh my self at home, some times at the gym, sometimes at the other gym and I get a different reading. Do you trust these scales, what's a good way to make sure they are at least some what close to being accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM

7,239 posts, read 9,330,320 times
It may depend on the scale. Mine is analog (non digital) and you can adjust the zero reading by moving a small lever. I'm not sure you can adjust a digital scale meant for home use. But you might look at the literature that came with it.

Here's what I did with mine. First get a weight you are fairly confident is accurate. I chose a 25lb weight from my set. Place the weight on the scale and adjust the reading. Then I stood on the scale and read my weight. Now pick up the weight and stand on the scale again. Does the new weight read correctly? I've done the same test with a 50lb weight.

If it doesnt' I don't know what to do. Get a new scale? They're fairly cheap. Mine worked.

Side note: The zero reading (no weight) on my "adjusted" scale is now 3lb. To me that means my scale is not going to work well below that 25lb reading. It is possible there are inaccuracies in the readings I am using. Does it matter if I'm off by a couple of pounds? Not to me. Does it matter to you? That's for you to decide.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,207,160 times
I would recommend using one scale and making sure it is always calibrated. This way, you know for sure what your readings always are. Here are some tips for calibrating your scale: Tips to Calibrate Your Scale - Weight Loss Answers Online

Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,007,351 times
Always weigh yourself in the morning when you first wake up, and after you've been to the bathroom, and before you eat or drink anything.

If you weigh yourself at various times during the day, your weight will fluxuate depending on how much food, water, and body waste your body contains at that moment.

So it's best to weight yourself when it contains the least amount of food, water, urine, etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,412,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Always weigh yourself in the morning when you first wake up, and after you've been to the bathroom, and before you eat or drink anything.

If you weigh yourself at various times during the day, your weight will fluxuate depending on how much food, water, and body waste your body contains at that moment.

So it's best to weight yourself when it contains the least amount of food, water, urine, etc.
This is my routine as well. I then write it on the calendar when I get my coffee, easy to spot any "trends" that way.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,951,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
some times I weigh my self at home, some times at the gym, sometimes at the other gym and I get a different reading. Do you trust these scales, what's a good way to make sure they are at least some what close to being accurate.

Accuracy doesn't much matter - consistency does. Scales measure differently from each other, because of the technology they use. Use only 1 scale and the same time of day, each time.

If you used a balance all the time, it would be consistent and accurate.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 AM

2,261 posts, read 4,771,909 times
Ok so I went to the gym last night put a 10 kg weight on it got about 25lbs (the scale didn't zero out stayed at about 5lbs, and didn't appear to have a calibration dial on the back) and it read 265lbs.
I went home did the same thing with a 10lb weight and it read 10lbs, I stepped on the scale and it read 285+lbs, but I noticed that scale at home has always given me a consistent reading around 280.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,741,544 times
You should point that out to your gym and ask the last time it was calibrated. All scales have a margin of error too. Its usually in the details of the model info. You calories needs only change when you go over the 10lbs window. So your gym really needs to get that scale fixed. It may be getting used more than they realize and they should up the maintenance schedule on it or replace it.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,740,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
The best way to get accurate readings is to weigh yourself on the same scale. Actually, I should say "consistent" readings.

A while back I switched from an analog scale to a digital scale. I ran them side by side for a couple of weeks. The analog scale read 3# lighter than the digital scale (for me a large % of weight). But, it was consistently 3# lighter for the period of time that I weighed myself on both scales, so even though I don't know if one or the other is "correct", I do know that the new one is consistent.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 PM

395 posts, read 1,543,613 times
Default best scale

I plan to get a detecto balance beam scale. They are expensive but the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness