Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:35 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Basically, in the market for a used vehicle, and have always loved Maseratis.
I see a few 2006-2008 in the area that I can get, and I love the Quattroporte.
Now, my question, how is the build quality on these things? How reliable are they compared to, say, Mercedes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 02:27 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
beautiful cars but I am sure just regular maintenance will be killer... I think they have a ferrari-based engine if I remember correctly

Old 07-16-2015, 02:42 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Just remember you are not buying a $30,000 car, you are buying a $100,000+ exotic that is made in very low quantities in Italy. Parts are rare and expensive. Most likely it will have very low miles because the owner is too afraid to subject it to regular use. I've been skimming listings and have yet to see a Quattroporte with over 100K miles.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:04 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
Can you write a check for $5000~12000 repair bill?

Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Basically, in the market for a used vehicle, and have always loved Maseratis.
I see a few 2006-2008 in the area that I can get, and I love the Quattroporte.
Now, my question, how is the build quality on these things? How reliable are they compared to, say, Mercedes?
A buddy bought a 2006 Qporte. He got it used, paid 30k less than new. Here was his experience:

1. Looks great, loves car (he has had big BMWs and Mercedes for years)
2. Once a month it was towed back to dealership (note dealer is also a Ferrari store, labor rates were $190 an hour)
3. Tires are $500 each, rears don't last 10k miles
4. After valet guy runs back and says "sir your car won't start"..... Decides the romance is over
5. Needs to trade, found out an out of warranty Maserati is worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it the year prior.....

Old 07-20-2015, 05:28 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Better option: go lease a new Ghibili..... It will define your loss up front, you get the best experience and when the lease is over you will love your new Honda/Toyota reliability!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:41 AM

321 posts, read 419,532 times
So they're not reliable?

I'm up to get a new car next year, and I've always wanted one of these. Not necessarily a QP, but a Maserati nonetheless.

I can probably spend $30k-$35k on buying the actual car. I drive probably 30 miles daily.

Do they really break down that often? Major things go wrong?

I can afford regular maintenance and take great care of my cars, but if it's going to be breaking down and costing me thousands of dollars a month, I might pass.

If they're so unreliable, why are they so expensive?! I couldn't imagine dropping $100k+ on something that's going to die in 5 years - even if money wasn't a consideration.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleroy View Post
So they're not reliable?

I'm up to get a new car next year, and I've always wanted one of these. Not necessarily a QP, but a Maserati nonetheless.

I can probably spend $30k-$35k on buying the actual car. I drive probably 30 miles daily.

Do they really break down that often? Major things go wrong?

I can afford regular maintenance and take great care of my cars, but if it's going to be breaking down and costing me thousands of dollars a month, I might pass.

If they're so unreliable, why are they so expensive?! I couldn't imagine dropping $100k+ on something that's going to die in 5 years - even if money wasn't a consideration.

Because its a limited production, Ferrari powered car, built in Italy.
That's why this isn't the car for you. Parts are expensive, and you have to go to a dealer to get them. No its not going to be easy to work on this car your self.

If you still think you want one go here, and see what others are paying for repairs/service then see if you think you can afford it.

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/m...air-costs.html
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/q...i-answers.html

Last edited by Me007gold; 07-21-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 AM

321 posts, read 419,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post

Because its a limited production, Ferrari powered car, built in Italy.
That's why this isn't the car for you. Parts are expensive, and you have to go to a dealer to get them. No its not going to be easy to work on this car your self.

If you still think you want one go here, and see what others are paying for repairs/service then see if you think you can afford it.

Repair costs - Maserati Forum
Costs of Owning a Maserati: the Answers to the Perpetual Question - Maserati Forum

Great resource, thank you.

Doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as some people claim. Just a little bit more than my other cars. Seems like I will be in the right financial situation in about a year and a half when I can seriously consider purchasing a new car.

Thank you.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Don't buy the Maserati. Run away. I don't know a single person who has had a favorable experience with the brand, and I know a lot of exotic car owners. Most of them end up selling or trading them in after less than two years.

If you want the exotic type look and style for luxury, then I'd look at used Jags, Teslas, Porsche Panamera, even Bentleys. They will be more reliable and easier to get serviced.

Even a used Ferrari would be a better choice, because you'll be treated better by the dealer and independent shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Exotics and High-End Luxury Brands