Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how you deal with this issue in the northern areas. I was just looking at Fairbanks sunrise/set data and it looks as though in summer there is less than two hours between sunset and sunrise, with full twilight during the time between.

Here in Seattle in the late spring and summer, even around the summer solstice twilight is done and over with a good hour or more to go before midnight. I personally like the long days, but only at first. They kind of get to me after a while and then I want our long nights back. I don't exactly mind a late evening sunshine or twilight, but that early morning sun is what I really hate. Wakes me up and all before I'm ready and then I can't get back to sleep, even with the blinds down it still comes in. Sometimes I put sheets over my windows to keep it out lol.

So how do you deal with it up there? Pretty much the same way of putting sheets over the bedroom windows or something else (but then just knowing that it's there is kind of a whole mental thing keeping you up too. At least for me). I'm sure you probably just get used to the midnight sun after a while though. Any thoughts on the subject from people who experience it every year please chime in.

(Also, what do you prefer best? The times around the summer solstice with lots of sun, or the times around the winter solstice with very little sun? Or perhaps the times between, around the equinoxes, when the times of daylight and nighttime are fairly balanced? Inquiring minds want to know!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Just had another thought. Midnight sun would kind of put a damper on viewing the summer meteor shows. Love viewing meteor shows! Love star gazing in general. It would kind of suck to go camping with midnight sun, can't look up at the stars! Though I'm sure in winter seeing the northern lights in the night sky all the time is just as much a treat!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
I'd rather have the sunlight then the moonlight. Sheets over the windows or when I worked graveyard shift then I'd put aluminum fool over the bedroom window. I never complain about the long days. It's kinda like winning the lottery and then complaining it was TOO much money.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:20 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
Get good curtains. I loved it this summer because I was working crazy hours and 3am doesn't seem quite as early when it's light out. Yeah, you can't see the stars for a while (I remember being able to see them again in mid August, I think), but it's just one more thing that you can't take for granted up here. The first night I could see them, I drove out to the Valdez Glacier so I was away from any lights and just stared up at them for an hour or so.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,350 times
We have never done anything special. Everyone is usually so tired from everything we have going on during the summer that it's not a problem to fall asleep......light outside or not.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
My parents put tinfoil over my windows but you just get used to it. We don't do anything special for it now. Having it light all night is exhilirating and surreal, and kids don't have to go to school so it doesn't matter so much if they stay up late. I experienced darkness in the summer at night in the lower 48, that was kind of nice too. Crickets chirping and lightening bugs blinking and an air of mystery.....

As to what I prefer, that really depends. I don't really have a preference but I don't like it being so dark when the kids wait for the bus in the winter, things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks