Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:04 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Yeah, and he won ALL interior districts in the election. The main write-in candidate does NOT live in Fairbanks and LOST the interior districts. So, if you want the cold to drive Miller away,
Well maybe the temperature recorded by the National Weather Bureau won't drive Miller off, but the cold shoulder from his own neighbors was very clear:

House District 8, Precinct 115 is where the Miller family votes...
  • registered voters: 3700
  • votes cast: 1651 (45% turnout)
  • votes for Miller: 540
  • votes for Write-In: 666
He not only lost in that entire district 2093 to 2397, but even lost in the precinct where he lives! And with numbers like that Miller's legal goon squad will have to disqualify substantially more than 10% of the Write-In vote to put House District 8 on his side of the fence.

IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times
What I liked about Fairbanks growing up there - Extremely friendly and caring people who although they might differ considerably about politics or philosoply of life and government all got along pretty well. Few took much personally and most everyone helped their neighbors or even strangers when a need arose, without being asked or expecting anything in return.

What I don't like now - Folks are still friendly and caring. But unfortunately like lots of places politics has become more of a combat sport in Fairbanks, with civility pretty much thrown out the window by a lot of folks. Seems like now if you disagree with someone over politics or other govenrment-related issues, you get tarred with a not-nice label and viewed by the other side as evil. This is somewhat of an exaggeration but all too true for some individuals. Interesting, I think most folks are still willing to drop what they're doing and help others regardless of political affiliations and beliefs, but when that moment has passed it's back to the battle lines.

Disclaimer - I grew up and spent almost my first 40 years in Fairbanks. Moved outside and have now not lived up there for 20+ years. My observations about what it's like now are based on frequent but admittedly short visits; talking to friends, family and former coworkers about conditions in Fairbanks; and online reading of the local newspaper (DNM). But some of what I said above about what I don't like was already starting to happen before we left Fairbanks, and I believe my observations to be relatively accurate.

I come from a pioneer family who first arrived in the Fairbanks area in 1904 (before the city was founded) and settled in the area prior to 1920. So I have a good appreciation for what it was like in the early days in addition to when I was growing up.

In general it seems like folks used to really band together to live, work and play due to the small town nature of the place and its remote location. Everyone knew how tough mother nature could be and helped out others cuz they knew they might need to be on the other end of the helping hand some day. Folks were isolated on the frontier but they weren't alone or loners for the most part.

But lots more folks, some with different attitudes - more end of roaders with a leave me alone view of life - now live in Fairbanks. Life is much easier so folks don't have to help one another as much. They also seem to want and need more things. As a result the dynamics of the place have changed considerably IMO.

As I said, my views of Fairbanks are now from long distance and somewhat removed in time, although my wife and I still consider it home. I view the Fairbanks of the past as a simpler, less complicated place that I think was better in many ways. But I also think the basic friendliness and charity of most folks up there remains very good, and is the true selling point of the community.

I'll now climb down from my soapbox.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 AM

96 posts, read 257,185 times
Default A day in Fairbanks......

Wake up, grab a cup of coffee, then switch on the local news..... Which sadly, after all these years living here is still a low class operation with revolving personnel every couple months and scant local reporting.

Lock the house up good and lock the gate, so hopefully the drug addicts don't break in during broad daylight as on 2 previous occasions. Once they were interrupted in the act!

Start the car and make the 20-25 minute drive to work, while although driving the speed limit I get passed by car after car. At the first traffic light, there they are, the cars that passed me. People pulling out in front of you, driving while chatting or texting, etc. THe drivers in recent years have now become as bad as in Anchorage.

Listen to the news, and hear about the latest shootings and robberies from the day before.

Catch the local talk show at 11AM, and listen to the intolerant, extreme right wing fringe paranoid anti government crowd on KFAR. Good entertainment value.

Marvel at how un-cold it has become here in the winter since the "old" days.

For more even better entertainment, turn on KFAR and listen to the Michael Dukes show. Learn how their second amendment rights are being trampled upon because you can't own machine guns, how we should go about packing 24 X 7, etc.

Head home, again dodging the traffic that is intent on saving that 62 seconds they gain by driving like maniacs.

Unlock the gate, open the house up and do a quick scan to be sure nobody is inside and the dog is still alive, start a fire, fix dinner, etc.

Lather, rinse and repeat!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:51 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
^ Ooh, look, another angry person for Floyd to play with! Why don't you two just get a room together and complain about anything and everything you can think about, and leave the rest of us alone to discuss life in Fairbanks. I don't need to hear your biased crap about politics, thank you. There are plenty of places where you can hear that mess besides here. Why can't you angry, bitter people leave these threads alone and go fester in your political hell-holes?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Ooh, look, another angry person for Floyd to play with! Why don't you two just get a room together and complain about anything and everything you can think about, and leave the rest of us alone to discuss life in Fairbanks. I don't need to hear your biased crap about politics, thank you. There are plenty of places where you can hear that mess besides here. Why can't you angry, bitter people leave these threads alone and go fester in your political hell-holes?
If you can't tolerate reading opinions different that your own then forums aren't going to work well for you. And yes, my "crap" is biased... by facts.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Floyd has lived in the state of Alaska forever. You live in North Carolina. Yet, you come onto the Alaska forum and tell Floyd (a forever Alaskan resident) to take a hike because you don't like what he's discussing.

You know what, that's arrogance to the Nth degree.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
^ Arrogance because you agree with him. There are people who agree with me, and they have told me as much. So, think first before you speak; I might not be the only one who thinks that. We have someone in the Asheville forum who is exactly like Floyd to the point that they could be the same person. He gets told to take a hike all the time, and he handles it just fine. It's a forum, you can say whatever you want (to a point), as Floyd pointed out for me. I'm unclear as to whether you live in Alaska yourself. Most of what I've read from you has been sarcastic stuff, often with little relevance to the thread topics. Kinda like this post above.

I'm not here to argue with strangers, I'm here to discuss Fairbanks because, as I have said, I am considering it as a place I may one day live. So, what I'm looking for is relevant information to the thread title: "A day in the life of someone who lives in Fairbanks", which does NOT include politicians. As I've said, if we had a similar thread to this in the Asheville forum, it would NOT include a bunch of political pandering. So, basically, I got tired of it and posted something that was not constructive, but rather showed my emotion, which is not something I normally like to do. Still, it gets old, when there are multiple people asking you to keep the political BS out of this thread, and you come back and continue just to spite the people who don't want to hear your nonsense. Also, Floyd, I don't necessarily disagree with you politically. In fact, on a lot of issues, you do make sense, albeit angrily. It's just that you feel the need to inject your politics into EVERY thread, and it's just not necessary. Everyone knows where you stand on political issues and Joe Miller.

Finally, my location and Floyd's location have nothing to do with this whatsoever. In fact, NEITHER one of us live in Fairbanks, so I don't see what that has to do with it either. Yeah, I know, you used to live in Fairbanks, so you probably have some good information to share, if you would actually share it instead of just posting angry political stuff. One of this forum's main purposes is for relocation information and advice, so my displeasure at Floyd's political posting has absolutely nothing to do with either of our states of residence. It is related to the forum, not Alaska, and that is the problem with all this in the first place.

This is the last thing I will say about this, because it is clear that it is about as useful as yelling at a fencepost.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:16 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Is there any reason why this thread can't be kept as intended? The OP intended it to be a discussion about Fairbanks, not about politics.

All of us should be mature enough by now to understand that politics and religion are subjects that turn into arguments and insults in this and other forums.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Kudo's Ray....an back to the OP's subject...how is Fairbanks right now as far as climate (weather) an what is there for entertainment to go an do??

Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'm here to discuss Fairbanks [...]
You are here to listen to yourself talk. It's called "therapeutic noise". But you clearly don't want to hear what you need to know.

Quote:
[...] which does NOT include politicians.
Then why are you reading it? People here post what they want to talk about, and people here read what they are interested in. I'm not twisting your arm and forcing you to read anything here, and neither is anyone else.
Quote:
I got tired of it and posted something that was not constructive
You've been plastering the Alaska Forum non-constructive comments.
Quote:
there are multiple people asking you to keep the political BS out of this thread
There are even more people here who do want to discuss exactly what is important about Fairbanks, and that includes politics even if you don't like it.

What you want to read has nothing to do with what gets posted here, nor should it.

Quote:
Finally, my location and Floyd's location have nothing to do with this whatsoever.
True for you, not for me. Look at a map!

It's all wonderful for you and Mountain Man, people that have never been to Alaska and never been to Fairbanks, to exchange fantasies about Fairbanks... but reality is what I inject.

Quote:
Yeah, I know, you used to live in Fairbanks, so you probably have some good information to share, if you would actually share it instead of just posting angry political stuff.
Lets be clear on who has expertize here about what information is important to share about Fairbanks: 1) It isn't you. 2) See item 1.

You are the one who seems to be angry. I'm not telling people what they can post here, that's you.

Quote:
One of this forum's main purposes is for relocation information and advice, so my displeasure at Floyd's political posting has absolutely nothing to do with either of our states of residence. It is related to the forum, not Alaska, and that is the problem with all this in the first place.
It is related to your total ignorance of Alaska and of Fairbanks?

Quote:
This is the last thing I will say about this, because it is clear that it is about as useful as yelling at a fencepost.
Talking to yourself usually is, and that is exactly what you are doing. It's just "therapeutic noise" because you're just telling yourself what you want to hear, and won't listen when someone tells you what you need to know.

Think about Wasilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks