Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:17 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times

Advertisements

Autostart: send your kid out to start it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 01:43 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
^ Yeah, I really don't feel the need to have autostart living in the lower 48. Even when I lived in Massachusetts, you could just throw on a coat and your good slippers and walk out and start the car real quick and then come right back inside and get ready to go. By the time you get out to the car, it's all warm and ready to go. Now, if I were in the interior of AK, I could see autostart being a good investment. If it's -40 outside with the wind blowing, the last thing I'm going to want to do is walk outside right after I wake up to start my car.

Here in Asheville, the temperature in the mornings is usually no colder than the high single digits (that's including wind chill, we have wicked bad wind in the mountains here). If you can't tough it out for 45 seconds to go start the car and warm it up, well, maybe consider a different location.

I still would like to know though: do all the buildings in Fairbanks have plug-ins? Do people leave their cars running in the grocery store parking lot? Basically, I have read a lot of Barrow threads, and I'm wondering if Fairbanks is as consistently hard on vehicles as Barrow is.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:43 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

Another very important question: what is the internet situation? Is broadband available? I know it's Alaska, and I should be outside enjoying the wilderness, not on my computer, all that stuff, but when it's -45, I'm not going to be tromping around in the woods. I'd like to have access to high-speed internet if possible. I mean, you folks posting on here have got to have internet somehow. Some people even post from Barrow. Now that is wild. I guess you would need a satellite?

When we lived in Fairbanks we had decent internet. Not sure the speed but it was fast enough and not dial up! LOL. It has been 3 years so I'm sure their services have gotten better.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:44 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I still would like to know though: do all the buildings in Fairbanks have plug-ins? Do people leave their cars running in the grocery store parking lot? Basically, I have read a lot of Barrow threads, and I'm wondering if Fairbanks is as consistently hard on vehicles as Barrow is.
Places where people work have plug in for their employees. Some places also have plug ins for customers. Grocery stores and bars do not. You leave your car running.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I saw the new Sam's! Looking good but the last time I ate at the Bakery was the LAST time I will ever eat there. Do they have new management/owners since 2007?
No, I think that they are under the new management that began around 2005 or 2006. I ate there recently and although it may have gone downhill a little bit, the waitresses were still their normal selves. Still have a great menu, but Sourdough Sam's passed them a long time ago in terms of food and service.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:00 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Places where people work have plug in for their employees. Some places also have plug ins for customers. Grocery stores and bars do not. You leave your car running.
And be sure to carry two sets of car keys, otherwise....

Old 10-31-2010, 03:27 AM

693 posts, read 1,606,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Fairbanks is not a city like one would find in the lower 48. For example, downtown Fairbanks has a very few buildings higher than six floors, and these are spread-out, with small buildings and homes in between. Since it gets quite cold during the winter, crushed gravel is used on the streets for traction, which in turn looks quite messy (dirt/brown color) when not covered by snow, as well as during the Spring when the snow melts. More than likely the stuff will stay on the streets long through summer. The town is much like a spread-out neighborhood with city and other government buildings, businesses and so forth in between. It's not a pretty sight, so keep that in mind.
So does Fairbanks have a proper "downtown" area? It does seem to be spread far and wide. I've also read some thing about revitalization of neighborhoods in FB, is this true?

For those of you that live in FB, do you live "in town" or out a bit? How far out do you need to go to feel like you are not in an urban area? My feeling is not too far...!

Great thread in general by the way, I've gotten more sense of FB in here than from most of the other postings about FB over the last couple of years. One thing for sure, people who live there seem to *love* it up there. Good sign.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:35 AM

693 posts, read 1,606,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
We get sunlight in winter in Fairbanks, I don't do anything at all to deal with it, it's kind of comforting to be dark so much.....just like in summer it is invigorating to have all the daylight. Here is a chart showing the hours of daylight per month. Some people use SAD lights in winter, and take extra vitamin D.
Average Hours of Daylight per Month in Alaska | Alternative & Renewable Energy - ABS Alaskan, Inc.
When you look at it on the chart, it seems there are only two (maybe three) months out of the year where winter daylight is "abnormal" compared to most places further south. And then you sure make up for it later! Given that many people spend their days cooped up in an office anyway, I can't imagine it would make a huge difference. When I was in Anchorage this past January, I didn't really feel like the daylight was an issue. I actually liked the mellow, calm light. As others have already mentioned, what is cozier than sitting in front of a fire with a cup of tea and a good book on a dark day?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
If I recall right Fairbanks does have a small "downtown" area but Ray is right that it is different then most US cities. I grew up in Montana and have spent most of my 37 years in in the West, so seeing towns well spread out seems normal to me.
I had friends come up to visit recently that spent time in Boston and Nashville and commented that Anchorage was nothing like lower 48 cities! Which I thought was odd since we have just about everything any other city has, but we certainly are a LOT more spread out!

When we lived in Fairbanks we lived in 2 places, GoldStream Valley, which was about 5 miles past UAF. Then we moved on to Chena Pump Road, again about 5 miles from the gas station and 4 miles from the elementary school. Most people live "out of town" rather than right in town. I actually really preferred this because you have less restrictions on what you can do on your own land the farther out you live.
When we were on Chena Pump Road, we had pigs and chickens! Definitely something most people that live in a town cannot do!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Other great places to dine are:

Big Daddy's in Fairbanks.

Silver Gulch in Fox

Pagoda's in North Pole

Elf's Den in North Pole

Country Cafe in North Pole.

As everyone mentioned, Sourdough's is a great place for breakfast, if you can find a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks