Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:09 PM

26 posts, read 188,365 times

Advertisements

Well I'm not trying to clutter up the board with posts that say nothing, so I DO have a question.....but first I had to say that I just checked out the 'Festival Fairbanks' webcams (golden heart plaza and first ave.) and man, the snow is so beautiful! I'm so jealous...even though it looks like a "dark and dreary" day the snow just glistens...I'm now once again considering of how to figure out how to move to the interior some day.....but with health issues, and other problems in life, not sure how it will be possible.....

With climate change and all, I miss seeing snow...even in a place that is traditionally and historically a heavy snow region of the lower 48. Just not sure I could handle the "no fruit" thing....(largely due to health problems)

which leads to my question....does Alaska have wild rice? In MN wild rice is a major, major food for the natives, and it's become a staple for me even though I'm not native. I'm just wondering does Alaska have wild rice? And I mean the real stuff, not cultivated. I'm thinking maybe down in the kenai, but probably not Fairbanks. And how expensive is it, if you do have it? It's between $8-$10 a pound here (for native harvested)....is it readily available in Alaska or parts of Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:53 PM

103 posts, read 322,628 times
its nice when its warm enough to snow :P im honestly not too sure about wild rice though.

what do you mean by the "no fruit" thing?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:00 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I am aware of no wild rice here. But my Mom sends it to me from MN once a year.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Yes, there is a plant in southeast Alaska called "Northern Rice Root". It looks very similar to and is often mistake with the Chocolate Lilly. I've picked some of this and eaten it just like it was. I've since been told that if you dry it you can then use it just like rice.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
My boss is from Minnesota and during potluck his wife makes a killer wild rice casserole with hamburger meat in it. I love that stuff!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:33 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightphoenix View Post
Well I'm not trying to clutter up the board with posts that say nothing, so I DO have a question.....but first I had to say that I just checked out the 'Festival Fairbanks' webcams (golden heart plaza and first ave.) and man, the snow is so beautiful! I'm so jealous...even though it looks like a "dark and dreary" day the snow just glistens...I'm now once again considering of how to figure out how to move to the interior some day.....but with health issues, and other problems in life, not sure how it will be possible.....

With climate change and all, I miss seeing snow...even in a place that is traditionally and historically a heavy snow region of the lower 48. Just not sure I could handle the "no fruit" thing....(largely due to health problems)

which leads to my question....does Alaska have wild rice? In MN wild rice is a major, major food for the natives, and it's become a staple for me even though I'm not native. I'm just wondering does Alaska have wild rice? And I mean the real stuff, not cultivated. I'm thinking maybe down in the kenai, but probably not Fairbanks. And how expensive is it, if you do have it? It's between $8-$10 a pound here (for native harvested)....is it readily available in Alaska or parts of Alaska?
You might also like to look at Ice Alaska Home

Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
There is no wild rice is Alaska. The following links are the four different types of wild rice that can be found in the US. USDA has a map that shows the states where these varieties of wild rice can be found.

USDA Plant Profile: Zizania palustris L. var. interior (Northern Wildrice)
USDA Plant Profile: Zizania Aquatica (Annual Wildrice)
USDA Plant Profile: Zizania Texanna (Texas Wildrice)
USDA Plant Profile: Zizania Latifolia (Manchurian Wildrice)

Old 11-03-2007, 12:24 PM

26 posts, read 188,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siamiam View Post
its nice when its warm enough to snow :P im honestly not too sure about wild rice though.

what do you mean by the "no fruit" thing?
I was refering to the lack of available fresh fruits...as I've read here and elsewhere that decent fruit is hard to come by in many parts of Alaska. I know there are plenty of berries, but I still need my apples, and in the summer peaches.... I know you "can" get them, but have read they leave much to be desired.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:30 PM

242 posts, read 853,902 times
Oh I feel your pain about wild rice. I'm in Utah and can't find it here anywhere. Luckily my mom will send me a bunch from Minnesota. I'm going to stock up when I go home for Christmas since I'm out again.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Cool Fresh Fruit in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightphoenix View Post
I was refering to the lack of available fresh fruits...as I've read here and elsewhere that decent fruit is hard to come by in many parts of Alaska. I know there are plenty of berries, but I still need my apples, and in the summer peaches.... I know you "can" get them, but have read they leave much to be desired.
You can have your apples and summer peaches. There are at least 3 different grocery store chains throughout Alaska that carry them. Just expect to pay more. Perishable goods are shipped to Alaska by air in order to be fresh upon arrival, and we have to pay for those transportation costs. As oil increases in price, so will aviation fuel, and correspondingly your apples and summer peaches will cost more. This is one of the reasons the cost of living is higher in Alaska than the rest of the US.

Alaskan Pizza Hut Delivery Team

Paradise doesn't come cheap, but it is definately worth the additional cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: