Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 AM

112 posts, read 273,480 times

Advertisements

Hey, something to look forward to seeing is the aurora borealis. How cool is that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM

20 posts, read 82,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In reality $45,000 minus federal tax won’t leave the OP a lot of money, but a single person should still be able to survive by being frugal. A problem I see is having to buy a vehicle unless he has some cash saved for that purpose, since applying for a loan is not easy for a new hire. And yes, it would be more economical to buy an used vehicle that’s already winterized. The question is: how much money can the OP spend on a vehicle, and does he have the money saved for this purpose? Most vehicles sold at the local dealers are winterized already.Affordable Used Cars is a good place to look at vehicles.

An older 4WD truck would be fine, but most older trucks use too much fuel. Only some of the new trucks are more fuel efficient. For example, 2012 or 2013 Ford F-150, but such a truck would cost a lot of cash. So, my advice for the OP is to look for a FWD small car if he does not have the cash to buy a post year 2000 Forester, CRV, or Rav 4 AWD. However, be prepared to buy the best winter tires he can afford. In this case, a set of steel-studded tires from Sam’s Club (a cheap alternative), or a set of Blizzak winter tires (expensive).

Winter tires: The studs on steel-studded tires wear-out within three seasons, specially on tires size 13 and smaller. On larger tires, the studs may last a little longer. But while Blizzak and similar tires have a softer rubber compound, the hard material that aids with traction that is within the rubber compound remains for the duration of the tire. A set of Blizzak should last somewhere from three to four seasons. All depends on the amount of driving you do, of course. For example, I drive 50 miles per day to work (2-way drive), so 3 seasons later the steel studs on the size 13” tires on my FWD Civic are worn.

I have a plan for this, because you're right 45k isn't that much money. It wouldn't be much here on the East Coast, and it sounds like it wouldn't be much in Alaska either. But I have until November until my student loan repayments kick in. If I were to be hired during the summer months (say around July), I'd have several months when the money that I would otherwise use for student loan repayments can be used for things to prepare for the winter: saving up money to put down on a vehicle, purchasing winter weather gear, and saving up money to pay for heating bills in the winter. That's how I would probably do that.

I think as long as I can make sure that 1) I can get to work, no matter how cold it is, and 2) I can make sure my heat doesn't get turned off when it's -50 F, then I'll be OK. If I can get by with something like, say, a Toyota Corolla on studded tires, I would definitely do that because I defintely need a fuel efficient vehicle. The car I own now that doesn't run is a gas guzzler, an Oldsmobile Delta 88. Big American land yacht, basically. I need something that can do better than that thing. Realistically, I probably won't be journeying out into the wilderness. The job is in town, I certainly won't be looking for a place to live out there, I was just thinking about in case I wanted to do something outdoors like hiking or whatever. But priorities are priorities, right?

One thing I won't like, quite frankly, is the idea of moving to someplace where I will have to be so dependent on my car (I understand it's an extreme climate, but still). Here on the East Coast, I own a car, but I'm still used to hopping on buses and trains to get to a lot of the places I want and need to go. I currently have two jobs and I can walk or bike to one, and take a train to get to the other one. When my car broke down, my life didn't skip a beat because I had other transportation options besides driving. It doesn't sound like that would be the case in Fairbanks, and that scares me just a bit because it means my car would be my lifeline - without it, I can't get to work and I probably can't eat either if I can't access a grocery store.

But I'm sure no matter where I end up, I can adjust. I am not from New Jersey originally, and moving to the East Coast was a huge adjustment for me, but I made it work. And yes finernfrogfur, I'm sure the northern lights are quite beautiful and it's one of those things I suppose everyone should try to see once in their lifetime.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Fairbanks does have a bicycle club, a lot of people ride year round.

Fairbanks Cycle Club -- Fairbanks, Alaska

Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Fairbanks does have a bicycle club, a lot of people ride year round.

Fairbanks Cycle Club -- Fairbanks, Alaska

Hmmmm...........extreme biking. Man, I don't even like biking when it's 20 above, can't imagine doing it when it's 20 or 30 below. Don't your lungs hurt from biking in that kind of cold? It sounds interesting but I just wonder if I could realistically do it.

Then again, I am really into biking (I did a 25 mile ride back in October), so it would probably behoove me to find groups like this no matter where I end up. Thanks!

Last edited by Jazzman256; 04-25-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman256 View Post
I have a plan for this, because you're right 45k isn't that much money. It wouldn't be much here on the East Coast, and it sounds like it wouldn't be much in Alaska either. But I have until November until my student loan repayments kick in. If I were to be hired during the summer months (say around July), I'd have several months when the money that I would otherwise use for student loan repayments can be used for things to prepare for the winter: saving up money to put down on a vehicle, purchasing winter weather gear, and saving up money to pay for heating bills in the winter. That's how I would probably do that.

I think as long as I can make sure that 1) I can get to work, no matter how cold it is, and 2) I can make sure my heat doesn't get turned off when it's -50 F, then I'll be OK. If I can get by with something like, say, a Toyota Corolla on studded tires, I would definitely do that because I defintely need a fuel efficient vehicle. The car I own now that doesn't run is a gas guzzler, an Oldsmobile Delta 88. Big American land yacht, basically. I need something that can do better than that thing. Realistically, I probably won't be journeying out into the wilderness. The job is in town, I certainly won't be looking for a place to live out there, I was just thinking about in case I wanted to do something outdoors like hiking or whatever. But priorities are priorities, right?

One thing I won't like, quite frankly, is the idea of moving to someplace where I will have to be so dependent on my car (I understand it's an extreme climate, but still). Here on the East Coast, I own a car, but I'm still used to hopping on buses and trains to get to a lot of the places I want and need to go. I currently have two jobs and I can walk or bike to one, and take a train to get to the other one. When my car broke down, my life didn't skip a beat because I had other transportation options besides driving. It doesn't sound like that would be the case in Fairbanks, and that scares me just a bit because it means my car would be my lifeline - without it, I can't get to work and I probably can't eat either if I can't access a grocery store.

But I'm sure no matter where I end up, I can adjust. I am not from New Jersey originally, and moving to the East Coast was a huge adjustment for me, but I made it work. And yes finernfrogfur, I'm sure the northern lights are quite beautiful and it's one of those things I suppose everyone should try to see once in their lifetime.
There is a bus line, and some of the stops let you wait in grocery store lobbies I think, so you don't have to totally freeze to take a bus.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM

Fairbanks North Star Borough

Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
There is a bus line, and some of the stops let you wait in grocery store lobbies I think, so you don't have to totally freeze to take a bus.

I knew there was a bus system in town, I just assume that I wouldn't want to wait for a bus in -40 degree weather. Also, how does waiting in grocery store lobbies work? Here in New Jersey, if you are not at a bus stop flagging down a driver, he will pass right by you without thinking twice..........

Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman256 View Post
I knew there was a bus system in town, I just assume that I wouldn't want to wait for a bus in -40 degree weather. Also, how does waiting in grocery store lobbies work? Here in New Jersey, if you are not at a bus stop flagging down a driver, he will pass right by you without thinking twice..........
Well, I've actually not ridden the bus but I have seen people waiting in the lobby and the bus automatically just stops outside the store lobbies. The bus didn't go as far as my house so I took taxis. I wouldn't want to wait for the bus in the cold either. It's not -40 for very long stretches usually.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
I would absolutely hate being dependent on public transportation. That would just suck big time. When I am ready to go I don't want to have to wait or be dependent on a schedule. I don't understand why anyone would want to live in a place like that???

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I would absolutely hate being dependent on public transportation. That would just suck big time. When I am ready to go I don't want to have to wait or be dependent on a schedule. I don't understand why anyone would want to live in a place like that???
Well, Fairbanks is colder than Anchorage but it doesn't necessarily feel colder. But I really don't like waiting for buses anywhere, sometimes you just have to do things even though you absolutely hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks