Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,940 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could please recommend a reputable auto shop where I can get my vehicle winterized in the delta junction area. Also, could someone please provide me with a ballpark figure of how much this should cost me.

I will be driving up from the lower 48 in late September. Looking forward to my new life in Alaska. Thanks everyone in advance for your feedback. It is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,043 times
My family and I are moving up to Delta Junction the first week of October as well. We were wondering the same thing or if it would be better/less expensive to have it done in Fairbanks. Good luck to you with your move.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 PM

339 posts, read 588,579 times
Best advise, if you are driving up, is to get it done BEFORE you make the drive. Our first trip up was late Sept and we hit snow our second day into Canada. In fact woke up to it!! Boy were we glad we had done the heat plug and winterization before we left.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Ace's in Delta has a good reputation, from what I hear.

It's probably somewhat cheaper to have it done in Fairbanks, and might be easier to get an appointment. But it is always good to support local businesses if you can. Plus, it never hurts to have a good relationship with a local mechanic...never know when you might need an emergency assist with a car problem.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,350 times
Complete winterization shouldn't be necessary yet in late September/early October. You may encounter snow at that time, but you shouldn't have the extreme cold temps that keep your vehicle from starting if it is in reasonably decent shape. My vehicles are outside all winter and I usually don't plug in until later in October unless a cold snap is forecast. The last winterization I had done in Fairbanks was about $350 I think......but that has been several years. It may be closer to $500 now I bet. The last vehicle I had to do already had a block heater and I did the rest myself for about $100.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Welcome to Delta, that is my home town but I do not live there now. You don't need to winterize yet, but you could meet some locals by doing business with them and it is always appreciated. A friend of mine who grew up there runs an auto repair shop but I don't remember the name of his business but his name is Troy Swearingen. He has lived there all his life and has a very good reputation in the community. You could ask at the Buffalo Fuel Center across from the IGA. I believe his shop is located across the street roughly from the Buffalo Fuel Center.

In case you haven't seen them, below are a couple of links to news sources in the community.

The Delta News Web -- Facts, News, Opinions and More from Delta Junction, Alaska
Delta Wind

Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 59,862 times
Welcome to Delta to both of the newbies. If you have not gotten this done yet, then McNabbs Auto Service on the other side of the Delta Petro Wash is very good. I don't know what the cost would be, but probably in the neighborhood of $200 of so.

And a bit of unsolicited advice about living here. Find an activity to keep you busy in the winter time and meet as many locals as you can. Most of us love it here and will happily share with you why we do.
Thanks Christy R

Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
If Steve is still in town, he is a very good mechanic and runs an honest shop. Not sure of their current phone number but his shop is located just North of Delta at 270 Mile Richardson Highway.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
If Steve is still in town, he is a very good mechanic and runs an honest shop. Not sure of their current phone number but his shop is located just North of Delta at 270 Mile Richardson Highway.
Steve Riehl? I'm pretty sure he is still there.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 AM

23 posts, read 101,866 times
We are looking at farm property at Delta Junction.

Anyone familiar with the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
View detailed profiles of: