Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
It CAN be done much more cheaply. It's all about priorities and what you are willing to do to get set up in the place you want to be...
All depends. The OP wants to move with a family and some dogs. In this case is could be very expensive without having a job first. There are numerous reasons why that could be a problem. But if he can have other family members helping his family over there while he travels to Alaska and have a job waiting for him, then that would be a lot easier overall. In this case he has time when not at work to look for a place e to buy, or to rent, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Quote:
It CAN be done much more cheaply. It's all about priorities and what you are willing to do to get set up in the place you want to be...
Yep. But it isn't it still a gamble if no job? I am going and getting my ideal setup at first and we are waiting until one of us has employment.

RayinAK - First, thanks for checking out the oil pan heater for me. I really appreciate it. And the OP does want to do things all at once which puts a bigger gamble on the move - so the job first is really important.

Woof - Interesting that Amazon is hiring, but I know I want to go to AK - I know I do NOT want to go to Seattle. Not sure if the OP feels the same way.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Of course it is risky without a job first. Of course it is expensive. I'm just saying, it's all about your priorities. If you have to have running water, then it's more expensive. If you want a stay at home parent, then it's more risky. If you've never moved to an unknown place before, it's more risky. If you want to do it, you will over come the risks and do what you have to do to live within your means; then move up the comfort ladder, etc. Two adults moving into a dry cabin, accessing child care, and both getting a job will allow them the opportunity of living here while looking for better jobs while they are networking to get better jobs. Getting better jobs will allow them to move into a watered house. Saving money, gaining seniority, and/or getting a better job will allow mom to stay home with kiddo. If you just want to move to a safe, traditional town and do not care to experience the real Alaska for a short time, then move to Anchorage or Seattle or somewhere where it is easier to just move to with no preparation. Or wait and have a nice savings account built up. If you are not able or willing to do some of these things, then moving to Fairbanks is not high enough on your priorities list and you should look somewhere else that would be more comfortable for you.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 PM

406 posts, read 756,514 times
Quote:
Of course it is risky without a job first. Of course it is expensive. I'm just saying, it's all about your priorities. If you have to have running water, then it's more expensive. If you want a stay at home parent, then it's more risky. If you've never moved to an unknown place before, it's more risky. If you want to do it, you will over come the risks and do what you have to do to live within your means; then move up the comfort ladder, etc. Two adults moving into a dry cabin, accessing child care, and both getting a job will allow them the opportunity of living here while looking for better jobs while they are networking to get better jobs. Getting better jobs will allow them to move into a watered house. Saving money, gaining seniority, and/or getting a better job will allow mom to stay home with kiddo. If you just want to move to a safe, traditional town and do not care to experience the real Alaska for a short time, then move to Anchorage or Seattle or somewhere where it is easier to just move to with no preparation. Or wait and have a nice savings account built up. If you are not able or willing to do some of these things, then moving to Fairbanks is not high enough on your priorities list and you should look somewhere else that would be more comfortable for you.

What she said

Old 03-04-2014, 11:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Maybe the saying, "Seattle is a step closer to Alaska" is true

And then, when you make it to Anchorage, folks in Fairbanks would say, "Anchorage is just a step closer to Alaska."

Old 03-05-2014, 11:47 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Quote:
I agree with you - just pointing out the other side of the coin.

It does depend on how bad you want to move to AK and what you are willing to sacrifice for long term gain/happiness. At least in AK you have the option of decent, lower cost housing. You really wouldn't want to do that where I currently live.

I am trying to skip the Seattle part, but I am taking things on step at a time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks